Does size matter?

Dinglebert

On 1/4/2021 at 5:16 PM, rodndonna said:

We never had the Fjords on "the list" until we were looking at YouTube videos for a Marella ship that we wanted info on, and one of them was from a Fjords cruise - but when we saw it, I HAD to add it to the list. So many places, so little time.....

Go for it out of this world recommended by travel agent for my first cruise and even though i'm a Proud Scotsman and we have some fantastic scenery here in Scotland i must admit (grudgingly) that the Fjords are better.🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

Go for it out of this world recommended by travel agent for my first cruise and even though i'm a Proud Scotsman and we have some fantastic scenery here in Scotland i must admit (grudgingly) that the Fjords are better.🙂

I am still hankering for the Fjords after 48 cruises. My first cruise was on the old Thomson Celebration out of Harwich, I was hooked.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 4:25 PM, rodndonna said:

Interesting timing in this as we are seriously looking at Iona for the Fjords cruise.

We definitely prefer smaller ships so not what we would prefer, however, in this case where it is more about the itinerary and scenery (more unique and 'one-time' itinerary for us coming from Canada) we are less concerned with the size of the ship.

Just bear in mind that ports like Geiranger are going to be very different with 5000 pax flooding off the ship rather than 2000. That is one of my reasons for not liking huge ships.

• Like 3

Went to the fjords.on Saga’s Spirit if Discovery. I’d been before on Azura and loved it. But we were really impressed on Spirit when the captain stopped the ship in Geiranger fjord and turned it round slowly at 360 degrees so we had a wonderful view of the waterfalls and surrounding scenery. Took around an hour and I think most of the passengers were on deck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

Just bear in mind that ports like Geiranger are going to be very different with 5000 pax flooding off the ship rather than 2000. That is one of my reasons for not liking huge ships.

As it played out, we did book the Fjords for May 2022 but were swayed away from such a large ship for that itinerary and have booked it with Holland America (and in an aft balcony which is a big deal to cheapo inside folks like us!). Very excited  at the prospect of a return to cruising!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I am still hankering for the Fjords after 48 cruises. My first cruise was on the old Thomson Celebration out of Harwich, I was hooked.

Our first Fjords cruise was on Celebration, the Fjords are stunning and we have been back several times and never tire of the scenery or the places and people.

4 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Our first Fjords cruise was on Celebration, the Fjords are stunning and we have been back several times and never tire of the scenery or the places and people.

Our first will be October 28th this year, and looking forward to seeing the Fjords🤞

Avril

4 hours ago, davecttr said:

I would say go for it but the only bit of advice is unless you like sunbathing in peace reading a book a Balcony is a waste of money cause i spent £700 upgrading after reading someones comment about sitting there watching the scenery go by forgetting you only see one side like that, better lazing up on deck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Our first will be October 28th this year, and looking forward to seeing the Fjords🤞

Avril

I don’t want to dampen your enthusiasm, but at the end of October, you may not see much of the fjords. Days will be gloomy at best and as your itinerary is the same as the Northern Lights cruise we have done in October, they tend not to dwell in many fjords as they are out at sea, sailing to Tromso. 
Andalsnes and Stavanger involve fjord sailing but it will be pretty dark when you arrive and leave. Maybe it would be a good idea in Stavanger to book a fjord trip to Pulpit Rock and back. We did have snow though, although late October is a bit early for the main snowfall. Didn’t stop the crew making snowmen on the aft top deck though. They then cleared the rest of the snow into the swimming pool (which was not in use).

Sorry if this is bad news but if you get to see the Northern Lights you won’t have many regrets.

Edited by pete14
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

I don’t want to dampen your enthusiasm, but at the end of October, you may not see much of the fjords. Days will be gloomy at best and as your itinerary is the same as the Northern Lights cruise we have done in October, they tend not to dwell in many fjords as they are out at sea, sailing to Tromso. 
Andalsnes and Stavanger involve fjord sailing but it will be pretty dark when you arrive and leave. Maybe it would be a good idea in Stavanger to book a fjord trip to Pulpit Rock and back. We did have snow though, although late October is a bit early for the main snowfall. Didn’t stop the crew making snowmen on the aft top deck though. They then cleared the rest of the snow into the swimming pool (which was not in use).

Sorry if this is bad news but if you get to see the Northern Lights you won’t have many regrets.

Another gloomy day in the fjords.

IMG_20180710_100625.jpg

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

June. It was very hot in UK, also in Norway. Slight difference was that a small bottle of water on the trip boat was £3.🤣

Which sort of proves Pete's point that October and November are not ideal months to visit the fjords!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

That doesn't matter Pete, the 12 nights Fjords was added on to our main 19 night Med cruise that was previously booked in 2019, and made a B2B. We only did it when our June cruise was cancelled. After the year we've just had, a month away whatever the weather, sounds like heaven. We never let the weather spoil our cruises, the sea, a good book, a glass or two of wine and no cooking or cleaning. I'm easily pleased. Thank you for your advice, and we fully intend to do some tours.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That doesn't matter Pete, the 12 nights Fjords was added on to our main 19 night Med cruise that was previously booked in 2019, and made a B2B. We only did it when our June cruise was cancelled. After the year we've just had, a month away whatever the weather, sounds like heaven. We never let the weather spoil our cruises, the sea, a good book, a glass or two of wine and no cooking or cleaning. I'm easily pleased. Thank you for your advice, and we fully intend to do some tours.

Avril

I’m very pleased about that 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 9:37 AM, silversurf said:

Went to the fjords.on Saga’s Spirit if Discovery. I’d been before on Azura and loved it. But we were really impressed on Spirit when the captain stopped the ship in Geiranger fjord and turned it round slowly at 360 degrees so we had a wonderful view of the waterfalls and surrounding scenery. Took around an hour and I think most of the passengers were on deck.

Our captain did that on Oceania's Nautica.