FCC from canceled cruise, decreased after the fact?

Flybear

So, I'm dealing with a little issue at the moment.....

A little history:  We had originally booked a 14nt TransAtlantic for 24April 2020.  We booked a GTY rate at $999 each.

This cruise, like all others, was cancelled.  We chose to take the FCC in the amount of fare + 25%.......  this comes out to roughly $1249 each.

We since booked a 7nt Caribbean on 08January 2022.  We used our $1249 x 2 FCC, which left a remaining cruise fare for each of us at $89.00 plus $143.27 in taxes and fees per person.  

My booking confirmation now shows an increase of $604.........  My initial answer from Celebrity was that there was an error in the calculation of my original FCC, which was supposed to be $879, according to their audit...?????   I have the original booking confirmation of the cancelled and it clearly shows the fare of $999 each, and a total paid of $2286.42.......  I obviously received a credit to my CC for the taxes and fees, but we had still had the $1998 on the books with Celebrity.

I'm trying to get this escalated to someone higher at Celebrity to resolve this.......  has anyone else had a similar experience?  Any insight or tips to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance

9 minutes ago, Flybear said:

A little history:  We had originally booked a 14nt TransAtlantic for 24April 2020.  We booked a GTY rate at $999 each.

This cruise, like all others, was cancelled.  We chose to take the FCC in the amount of fare + 25%.......  this comes out to roughly $1249 each.

We since booked a 7nt Caribbean on 08January 2022.  We used our $1249 x 2 FCC, which left a remaining cruise fare for each of us at $89.00 plus $143.27 in taxes and fees per person.  

My booking confirmation now shows an increase of $604.........  My initial answer from Celebrity was that there was an error in the calculation of my original FCC, which was supposed to be $879, according to their audit...?????   I have the original booking confirmation of the cancelled and it clearly shows the fare of $999 each, and a total paid of $2286.42.......  I obviously received a credit to my CC for the taxes and fees, but we had still had the $1998 on the books with Celebrity.

I'm trying to get this escalated to someone higher at Celebrity to resolve this.......  has anyone else had a similar experience?  Any insight or tips to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance

I had the same issue, an "error" in calculating my FCC too high that they found and corrected. Didn't bother looking into it further because it was so hard to get the FCC in the first place (I was 100, not 125).

1 hour ago, Flybear said:

Thanks in advance

I had this issue with a cancellation before the whole covid thing.  My problem was with the original FCC calculation which didn't match what I was expecting.  On the phone they kept insisting it was based on the "Base Fare" which was an amount not on my invoide.  My argument was there was no such thing on my invoice and it should be based on "Cruise Fare".  Eventually they changed it.

In your case where you were issued the correct amount and applied that amount to a future cruise I don't see how they could then change the value as the FCC was already redeemed?

In any event stick to your guns as I believe you are correct and have the invoice to back it up.

4 hours ago, Flybear said:

Thanks in advance

Was the total you paid $999?  FCC is on the base fare excluding taxes and fees (mostly port charges).  Maybe you could clarify what you paid line by line.

3 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Was the total you paid $999?  FCC is on the base fare excluding taxes and fees (mostly port charges).  Maybe you could clarify what you paid line by line.

OP said cruise fare was $999 pp and that the taxes and fees were refunded to the credit card.

We received FCCs for $2249 for a cancelled cruise with a cabin rate of $1799 ($1799 x 1.25 rounded up).  But when we applied them, we were told they were calculated incorrectly initially and worth only $2211.50.  No math books I find agree with their calculation but we did not pursue the issue.  

1 hour ago, LuvCruzn4Evr said:

We received FCCs for $2249 for a cancelled cruise with a cabin rate of $1799 ($1799 x 1.25 rounded up).  But when we applied them, we were told they were calculated incorrectly initially and worth only $2211.50.  No math books I find agree with their calculation but we did not pursue the issue.  

For $37 x 2, I think you made a wise decision.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

For $37 x 2, I think you made a wise decision.

My inner cynic wonders if that's what Celebrity hopes that everyone will think each time that they claim to have miscalculated in the first instance. Amazing that all of the error corrections are in their favour! :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

My inner cynic wonders if that's what Celebrity hopes that everyone will think each time that they claim to have miscalculated in the first instance. Amazing that all of the error corrections are in their favour! :classic_rolleyes:

Good point!!