Travel Agent concerns

1 hour ago, rkmw said:

If you pay with a debit card there’s no fees

Actually some places treat debit cards the same as credit cards and you will get the same fees. Besides getting a chargeback approved on a debit card transaction can be more difficult than credit card. In saying all this there is usually a limit to how long you can wait to request a chargeback and from what I have read the poster would have exceeded the expiry of they had used a card anyway. 

33 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Actually some places treat debit cards the same as credit cards and you will get the same fees. Besides getting a chargeback approved on a debit card transaction can be more difficult than credit card. In saying all this there is usually a limit to how long you can wait to request a chargeback and from what I have read the poster would have exceeded the expiry of they had used a card anyway. 

I use my debit card a lot on a cruise and never been charged a fee, some local shops they could 

I know with Carnival if you put your credit card on file they charge $200 before you set foot onboard so they want their money before you get off

14 minutes ago, rkmw said:

I use my debit card a lot on a cruise and never been charged a fee, some local shops they could 

I know some airlines when you pay for a flights charge fees regardless of credit or debit card (Qantas being my most recent experience) so it wouldn't surprise me there might be cruise lines who would charge fees just because it is a card transaction. The fact the credit card transaction came with a fee makes me suspect the debit card would have also had a fee but I haven't talked with their TA so who knows😜. I just wanted to point out it is not always guaranteed that debit card payments are sans fee. 

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I know some airlines when you pay for a flights charge fees regardless of credit or debit card (Qantas being my most recent experience) so it wouldn't surprise me there might be cruise lines who would charge fees just because it is a card transaction. The fact the credit card transaction came with a fee makes me suspect the debit card would have also had a fee but I haven't talked with their TA so who knows😜. I just wanted to point out it is not always guaranteed that debit card payments are sans fee. 

This TA charges a transaction fee regardless of debit or credit. If it is Mastercard or Visa, they slug you. 

The cut off for chargebacks is 180 days, so yes, too late for us anyway.

47 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

Not as yet, however I had a lengthy phone call from Consumer Protection today, and they are following up.

Hope it turns out all good for you, keep fighting.

Edited by NSWP

• 3 weeks later...

Just realised I had not updated this thread.

Consumer Protection have spoken to Royal Caribbean and actually confirmed they issued FCC. This was because the payment was made using FCC.

The extra cash deposit has been refunded to my card by the TA. It did get to my correct account, even though the card was long since expired... well done Comm Bank.

Royal Caribbean gave an undertaking to Consumer Protection that they would issue a cash refubd to the TA within three weeks. Consumer Protection have advised me to give it four weeks to allow the TA to process the refund to my bank account.

This is half the time I was quoted by the TA.

This was on 27 January, so I have a couple of weeks to see what happens.

Stay tuned 🙂