Positivity Thread!

ScratchTheRat

On 2/1/2021 at 6:14 PM, Waju said:

Just thought of something else I miss - a slice of 'thick' toast in the mornings - grilled to order with butter and either marmite (I know don't judge me), peanut butter or marmalade.  I only discovered, this time last year as it happens, that you could order thick toast and that's after about 200 nights on P&O!!

I try to avoid all the lovely bread on a cruise but do treat myself a couple of times a week to this toast.

I tried asking for a slice of thick toast. It was about 2'' thick, at the least. Never again.

Avril

20 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Embarrassing or what??? 😏

Avril

It certainly raised a few eyebrows as I walked back to our table in the buffet. It's cured me anyway,  I now live with what's in the serving tray, but those well done pieces can result in shrapnel injuries to anyone nearby.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

It certainly raised a few eyebrows as I walked back to our table in the buffet. It's cured me anyway,  I now live with what's in the serving tray, but those well done pieces can result in shrapnel injuries to anyone nearby.

I think the fried bread is dangerous!!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 3:57 PM, Adawn47 said:

I tried asking for a slice of thick toast. It was about 2'' thick, at the least. Never again.

Avril

Oh I know - me too. It was like half a loaf. I was sharing a table of 6 and they couldn't stop laughing when it came.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

It has to be the ship, there are some ships and certainly lines I would not set foot on. Next itinerary, has to be warm.

Interesting. Have you set foot on them before or just decided from reviews etc? I can honestly say that we’ve enjoyed every single ship, some more than others of course, and I can’t think of a single line I wouldn’t sail with!

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We use the MDR and I find that if I ask for 'lightly done' it tends to be more edible.

Avril

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

Interesting. Have you set foot on them before or just decided from reviews etc? I can honestly say that we’ve enjoyed every single ship, some more than others of course, and I can’t think of a single line I wouldn’t sail with!

I wasn't going to name them but seeing as you asked I would try most once, but having sampled Fred Olsen's Balmoral, never again. It was a bargain but the passengers and ship were not for me. Got told off for daring to laugh on the deck when chatting too loudly because a lady was reading a book. I reminded her the library was below decks !

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I wasn't going to name them but seeing as you asked I would try most once, but having sampled Fred Olsen's Balmoral, never again. It was a bargain but the passengers and ship were not for me. Got told off for daring to laugh on the deck when chatting too loudly because a lady was reading a book. I reminded her the library was below decks !

But you can hardly blame that on the cruise line, unless they deliberately advertise for rude passengers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

I think we were about 20 years younger than most of the passengers on Balmoral but it didn’t matter one bit! The food was better than P&O on the whole and there were some very interesting speakers/performers if I remember rightly. 

11 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But you can hardly blame that on the cruise line, unless they deliberately advertise for rude passengers.

You're right, but the general feeling was one of an very old folks home at sea, and not my taste. Each to their own.

35 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

You're right, but the general feeling was one of an very old folks home at sea, and not my taste. Each to their own.

I went on Fred Olsen’s Balmoral, for a northern lights cruise.

Great cruise, and the passenger mix and on board feel was very similar to any P&O cruise that I’ve been on at that time of year.

Of course, each line has its differences, but P&O and Fred have more to unite them than to divide them 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2021 at 9:59 AM, ScratchTheRat said:

I'm looking forward to trying some of these great tips!

You will have a kettle and biscuits in your cabin.

No gratuities to pay and none added to every drink.

Bar waiter service in most bars and much cheaper drinks prices than Carnival.

British £ sterling is on board currency.

British comedy in the lounges and theatre as well as good singers etc.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I went on Fred Olsen’s Balmoral, for a northern lights cruise.

Great cruise, and the passenger mix and on board feel was very similar to any P&O cruise that I’ve been on at that time of year.

Of course, each line has its differences, but P&O and Fred have more to unite them than to divide them 

I agree. Been on Balmoral two or three times and loved each one - a lot of fairly frail passengers, but P&O likewise out of school holidays, and the ones we met were largely well travelled and interesting/interested, plus a sizeable minority were young-ish to middle-aged. As Dermotsgirl said, a similar mix to other cruise lines.

• Like 2