SpaceX Starlink satellite internet is taking over the world

captjohn

Sounds promising although at the end of the article it states that this system is designed for fixed connections to homes and businesses. 

Regent recently sent my wife a survey asking about personal electronic brand preferences and related topics. We were speculating that maybe they are doing some research in advance of some sort of improvement. 

I have my heart set on Starlink for our cottage northwest of Ottawa.  Despite being in the (rural part of) the nation's capital, we still don't have broadband. 

Right now I would settle for a cruise ship with NO internet at all.  When we first started cruising to the South Pacific 21 years ago, I was very happy to get away from my email--it meant my boss and colleagues couldn't reach me at all!

• Like 3

On 2/9/2021 at 12:00 PM, Pcardad said:

The ships don't need better tech...they need a contract signed by Regent for more bandwidth. It could be 4 times faster tomorrow.

Bandwidth is not the only problem. High latency times are also a very big slowdown and  there is nothing they can do to fix that. I think Star-link with it's much lower orbits and therefore much lower latency,  would be the real game changer for the  internet experience at sea.

J

On 2/9/2021 at 8:00 PM, Pcardad said:

The ships don't need better tech...they need a contract signed by Regent for more bandwidth.

Exactly the impression we received from the on-board IT "consultants", whenever we raised the issue.

On 2/9/2021 at 8:09 PM, Pcardad said:

PPPS.....Navigator has the fastest internet by a small margin.

Our worst experiences of poor internet speeds was on one of their newer ships, Explorer.

6 hours ago, Pcardad said:

we just need to speak up and tell them what we want.

We have

6 hours ago, Pcardad said:

They ought to survey their guests once in a while.

They do; every cruise ................ but no specific questions on the survey regarding Wi-Fi connectivity or internet speeds; simply a rating for the on-board IT consultant 🙄