Changing Cabins on a B2B

ssbeagle

In all the cruises we’ve taken we have never had to change cabins on a B2B before.  However, we booked for 2022 and we have to change on turnover day.  Can anyone tell me how this is hand,Ed?  DH thinks we have to pack everything up and unpack again.  

We've done this a few times.  The crew will move hanging items and your luggage, so you do need to pack up drawers and bathroom and loose stuff.  Take all medicines, valuables, and paperwork/passports with you.  We usually go find the steward for our new cabin and introduce ourselves sometime during the first cruise. 

Like any In Transit turnaround you can stay in your cabin later. 

Be sure to empty the safe in your old cabin.

You can usually put the contents in the safe in your new cabin once the former occupants have left, but work this out with your new cabin steward.

If you wish to tour the area during the day, you can leave the ship once disembarkation has started.

If the turnaround is in a USA port other than Alaska, if you have not left the ship by around 10 AM, you will be asked to meet with other B2B people who are still on the ship and go through immigration together.

Your onboard account will usually be carried over to the second segment. To be sure this happens, check with the Passenger Services desk during the first segment.

With the Medallion system, you normally will not be given a different Medallion for the 2nd segment. (I do not know at what point on turnaround day it no longer will work with the old cabin and start to work with the new one.)

3 hours ago, Papa Yoda said:

Like any In Transit turnaround you can stay in your cabin later. 

That is true if you are staying in the same cabin, but if you are changing cabins the cabin steward for your old cabin needs to get it ready for the new occupants and thus you should not be staying in it much past 8 AM.

3 hours ago, tillys mom said:

I use packing cubes which makes it easy. Zip up cube, put in suitcase, take out cube, unzip, and put back in same place in new cabin.

I just love the packing cubes and folders.  I use them all the time.  It makes packing and unpacking so much easier for me.

I did this once and never again. Although we met the new cabin steward and had him coordinate with our old one, things got messed up in a hurry. The occupants of new cabin slept in(they were blue card) and at 9:30  still didn't leave. Someone should have clued them in better.New cabin steward couldn't make up room. At 10am we had to leave the ship and go to terminal to wait till we could board again. Well, about 10 minutes before heard they had gotten into new cabin, not cleaned but we were able to bring our stuff in. Ship sent someone to help. In the meanwhile because of the long wait, we did pack everything up and put in our suitcases.Safe items were in my purse. Got to the new room and our keys didn't work till the ship cleared. We had them place the suitcases in the room .

For us, never again. When we booked we did have the same cabin. The first cruise on B2B, we got upgraded from balcony to mini suite so of course we took it (14 day cruise), Second cruise was a 7 day.

Normally what happened to us doesn't happen. 

We were able to book the same cabin for our B2B but my personal feeling is that the cabin stewards are so busy that morning that anything I can do to make their job easier I will.  So packing everything up and having the suitcases tagged and ready to go would only take me a few minutes as I like to repack as I go.

But I would watch and see if your cabin comes back into inventory and if so call and see if you can lock it in.  

• Like 1

I've done this a couple of times.  I left clothes that were on hangers on the hangers, but packed up the rest of my things into my suitcase or in a bag.  I took my passport and other items that were in the safe with me.  Princess moved all my things into my new cabin without a problem.  

On 2/11/2021 at 12:03 PM, geocruiser said:

I just love the packing cubes and folders.  I use them all the time.  It makes packing and unpacking so much easier for me.

Packing for sure is a real benefit, but I sometimes don't even unpack from them and if I do then I just put the used articles back in the cubes right away which makes packing a snap.  

I am really looking forward to begin the process again this May.......fingers and toes crossed.  Of the six upcoming booked voyages, two of them are B2B, however, they are in the same cabin.  If they weren't, packing cubes would definitely make the intransit move much easier.

Edited by Grego
Added information

On 2/13/2021 at 7:49 AM, Grego said:

Packing for sure is a real benefit, but I sometimes don't even unpack from them and if I do then I just put the used articles back in the cubes right away which makes packing a snap.  

I am really looking forward to begin the process again this May.......fingers and toes crossed.  Of the six upcoming booked voyages, two of them are B2B, however, they are in the same cabin.  If they weren't, packing cubes would definitely make the intransit move much easier.

Like you I don't unpack my cubes either.  I just unzip, fold under the top and put into the draw or on a closet shelve.  I do take with me a plastic bag to put our used clothing in.  I do use the ship's laundry service, so I don't have many used clothing to take home.  The cubes wash well, mine are from Eagle Creek. I brought so many of them, because my brother would come to visit me and would have trouble repacking the extra stuff he would buy, when visiting.  So, I gave him most of my cubes. I had to buy more.  He loves them too.

Keep checking your B2B cruise.  Maybe a cabin might open up that you can use for both cruises.