What are my options?

Never too young to cruise

I booked a Med cruise on 16 September 2020 to sail on MSC Orchestra for 7 nights on 14 August 2021 from Venice.

The booking is for me, my wife, and our 6 year old daughter. 

Naively, when I booked it I thought that Covid may have died down a bit by August 2021 and things may have returned to a degree of normality. But I fear I am wrong about that.

Firstly, what are the chances of the cruise simply being cancelled by MSC?

Secondly, I do not mind wearing a mask on the ship but it's the excursion arrangements that I don't like. As I understand it, passengers will not be permitted to wonder off the ship to explore on their own, and must book an MSC excursion.

Having looked at the available excursions recently published, there are very few that would be suitable for a 6 year old.

We cruised on the Seaview in 2019 when our daughter was 4 and we had a great time exploring the local towns and cities, doing our own thing (and booking a couple of excursions too); what are the chances of being able to do that in August 2021?

Thirdly, how does the flexible cruise program work? Can I just cancel it and get a refund because I don't like the arrangements, or can I cancel and get FCC? And if so, when must an alternative cruise be booked by, and when must the sailing be?

Thanks

MSC trying hard in Europe to get going but typically last to notify or cancel.  My understanding is you are basically under their lift and shift rules.  Us who booked early only option is to cancel before final.

6 hours ago, Never too young to cruise said:

But it doesn't say how long I would have to re-book, or how long I could delay sailing.

While the information is a little sparse "Stress Free Booking" basically follows the "Flexible Cruise Programme".  Stress Free states:

To truly make your future cruise with us stress free, you can reschedule your cruise free of charge up to 15 days before departure for cruise only and up to 21 days before departure for fly & cruise.

All bookings made between 1st August 2020 and 31st March 2021 will be eligible for our Stress Free Booking policy, with the new terms valid for all sailings taking place within 30th April, 2022

You would need to cancel 15 days before sail date for Cruise Only and 21 days before for Fly & Cruise.  You will get a Future Cruise Credit good for any sailing out to 30th April, 2022.  MSC will hold your money as long as you like so you will only be forced to re-book in time to make the April, 2022 sail date deadline for the FCC.  ETA: Note that you will have made full payment and there will be no bonus FCC percent as MSC typically gives when they cancel.

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/coronavirus/flexible-cruise-programme

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/flexible-bookings

Edited by Até

9 hours ago, dexddd said:

MSC trying hard in Europe to get going but typically last to notify or cancel.  My understanding is you are basically under their lift and shift rules.  Us who booked early only option is to cancel before final.

Does anyone know the likelihood of MSC cancelling any of the Med itineraries this season, or is there literally no point in second guessing?  

On 2/17/2021 at 8:27 AM, Never too young to cruise said:

I booked a Med cruise on 16 September 2020 to sail on MSC Orchestra for 7 nights on 14 August 2021 from Venice.

The booking is for me, my wife, and our 6 year old daughter. 

Naively, when I booked it I thought that Covid may have died down a bit by August 2021 and things may have returned to a degree of normality. But I fear I am wrong about that.

Firstly, what are the chances of the cruise simply being cancelled by MSC?

Secondly, I do not mind wearing a mask on the ship but it's the excursion arrangements that I don't like. As I understand it, passengers will not be permitted to wonder off the ship to explore on their own, and must book an MSC excursion.

Having looked at the available excursions recently published, there are very few that would be suitable for a 6 year old.

We cruised on the Seaview in 2019 when our daughter was 4 and we had a great time exploring the local towns and cities, doing our own thing (and booking a couple of excursions too); what are the chances of being able to do that in August 2021?

Thirdly, how does the flexible cruise program work? Can I just cancel it and get a refund because I don't like the arrangements, or can I cancel and get FCC? And if so, when must an alternative cruise be booked by, and when must the sailing be?

Thanks

Your best option is to get a refund as soon as possible and avoid MSC in the future

• Thanks 1

On the same note, how are YC reservations handled in these circumstances? I understand the YC deposit is non-refundable. We have friends wanting to join on a our Seashore cruise from Miami but they are concerned about losing the deposit if the cruise does sail but they don't want to sail with whatever COVID restrictions are in place, if the ship is delayed into service or if there significant changes to the itinerary. I think MSC will be a one and done for them so FCC is not ideal.

YC deposit policy has only changed for US bookings.  All US bookings after August 5th, 2020 fall under the Total Cruiseflex policy so if passengers are unsure about the onboard conditions or itinerary changes they can delay their sailing.  I wouldn't recommend MSC to any friends that I thought would be one and done even before their first cruise.

Edited by Até

20 hours ago, Até said:

YC deposit policy has only changed for US bookings.  All US bookings after August 5th, 2020 fall under the Total Cruiseflex policy so if passengers are unsure about the onboard conditions or itinerary changes they can delay their sailing.  I wouldn't recommend MSC to any friends that I thought would be one and done even before their first cruise.

We'll have the closely monitor the situation before making final payment. There are a lot of variables at play related to a new ship being done on time and potentially cruising in the midst of a COVID restart. Worst case scenario I would hope they offer a refund option, but time will tell. 

I've seen posts from people that say they have but I'm not sure of where they booked.  Even though there is some policy on the MSC US websites that indicates in certain circumstances you can I have never been able to get MSC US to move a deposit from one booking to another.  Also cancelling before final payment doesn't fall under the assurance plans so there's no FCC that can be moved.  As far as my experience goes you are stuck waiting for MSC to refund the deposit and will need to put up new money for a new booking.