What are the silliest things you do before or during a cruise?

Calvin

On 2/18/2021 at 6:18 PM, mcmomny said:

We typically have to fly to our port before we sail so we always go in the night before, I am always stressed out that I have forgotten something and I have to unpack in the hotel room, double check everything than repack before heading to the cruise ship the next morning!

I remember wandering around Manhattan on foot looking for a few things I forgot!

I remember having to find an all night drug store in Honolulu for things I forgot!

Than there was Barcelona! Thank goodness my husband can read and speak some Spanish!

Every year my husband tells me to make a spread sheet, how boring!  I like the random shopping experiences we have had because I forgot something! 

More power to you, but this would drive me crazy.

A few years ago, we were flying to FLL to stay overnight before flying to San Juan for a cruise (it was the year Hurricane Maria hit and there were no hotels to speak of available in San Juan). While on the plane, my husband looked at me and said, "I forgot your Glucagon."

I'm a type 1 diabetic and this is what is needed to quickly bring up my blood sugar if things get bad. He was in charge of bringing it because he is in charge of giving it to me. So once we got to our hotel, time was spent calling CVS and getting the prescription filled. And that was the last trip he was in charge of packing the Glucagon.

• Like 2

I identify with so many of you here!  I have spreadsheets for what goes in our carry-on, luggage, my very large handbag for the plane, itinerary, and outfits for each day (which I really enjoy spending time planning).  Itinerary includes confirmation & phone numbers, reservation & shore ex info, points of interest and any notes/reminders.  A copy goes in our carry-on in a clear plastic envelope along with hard copies of important documents, emergency contacts, etc.  Thank you for the ideas about adding the temperature and hour details, so doing that!  I, too, love to study the ports via google, restaurant & bar menus, and old onboard newsletters. We also purchased a Luc-Loc so that we can track where our luggage is with our phones.  It really gives me peace of mind to know that it made it on the plane with us!  We were packed for a cruise on the POA at the end of March, 2020 which we have rescheduled four times (now booked for October, 2021-fingers crossed), and we still have our bags partially packed.  I’m SO ready to go!  Thank you, OP, for starting this thread!  Planning is such a big part of the fun and anticipation. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 7:38 AM, brookie848 said:

A few years ago, we were flying to FLL to stay overnight before flying to San Juan for a cruise (it was the year Hurricane Maria hit and there were no hotels to speak of available in San Juan). While on the plane, my husband looked at me and said, "I forgot your Glucagon."

I'm a type 1 diabetic and this is what is needed to quickly bring up my blood sugar if things get bad. He was in charge of bringing it because he is in charge of giving it to me. So once we got to our hotel, time was spent calling CVS and getting the prescription filled. And that was the last trip he was in charge of packing the Glucagon.

For the flight to my first cruise, we had a long layover at Dulles, near where my brother lives.  We took the opportunity to meet up with him and his family at the airport while we waited.  His daughter was playing with one of the carry-ons and we lost track of it.  We said our good-byes and went back through security.  It wasn't until we were in line to board the plane that we realized the carry-on was missing.  And it was the bag with all my dad's medications - couldn't leave it behind. We called my brother and he headed back to the airport and found the bag in the custody of a police officer (the father of one of my niece's friends, as it happens).  My sister went back to retrieve the bag, and since we now had plenty of time (had changed from our PM flight to an AM flight) she went and had dinner with my brother's family.  It turned out just fine, as we arrived at our London hotel just before check-in time.  

As for my cruise prep, I'm obsessive about my spreadsheets.  I plan everything out and make duplicate copies of everything.  Packing on the other hand...

For some reason, I can never decide in advance what clothing to pack.  I always end up doing all my laundry at the last minute, so everything I own is clean in case I want to pack it.  I usually stay up all night or get a couple hours of sleep at the most.  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/18/2021 at 3:52 PM, farmersfight said:

How can you resist not talking to your Funship Freddy dolls?  Nothing silly about that. Now the real Funship Freddy just creeps me out;

Image result for funship freddy

Apparently, it's not so unusual for the real Funship Freddy to creep people out. My 17 year old daughter still complains about that.

On 2/18/2021 at 4:32 PM, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

Okay, so I'm one of those obsessive cruise preppers!  I start laying my clothes out at least a month in advance!  (Which is really a bummer now, when I have had multiple trips cancelled and still can't seem to get my stuff back where it belongs.....sigh!)  I have the spreadsheet with ports and every half hour designated....and the tab prior to the itinerary has all of the costs/reservation numbers/addresses/phone numbers, etc.  All color coded, of course!

And for foreign ports, I get the travel books and start learning the language (HA!  TRYING to learn the language!) about a year in advance!  Planning is a big part of the fun for me!  (I should really consider being a TA when I retire!)

You sound like my kind of cruiser; the Felix Unger of cruising. I'm obsessive too. Normally, I start packing about 1 week before but because my wife had major surgery and we've been immunocompromised, we set our next cruise 18 months after the surgery.  I've laid out our suitcases 7 months in advance, including a printed out packing list in each suitcase!

• Like 3

On 2/18/2021 at 8:19 PM, HBCcruiser said:

prepare and organize CC events like Pub Crawls!! Great way to meet fun people. 

4F8D86D7-F108-456C-807E-A5B85758E198.jpeg

1AA77AF0-4EA3-4D7E-B435-79C771B20090.jpeg

F3E49AF1-1D47-45F0-BD6B-E17578E9EF1B.jpeg

A5F5EBAB-2BF4-4ED5-BEB8-14463D59422F.jpeg

Those pub crawls sound great!  I'm kind of a lightweight, despite being 6'3" and 250 lbs, but when I go on a cruise, I always get the beverage package because I want it to feel like an all inclusive event.

• Like 2

If I am traveling abroad I enroll with The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program is a free service that allows U.S. citizens traveling or living abroad to receive the latest security updates from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. 

I also alert my credit card company of the dates I will be visiting each country. 

• Like 1

Once on a car trip in the early days of our marriage, DH and I were stuck in a boring motel with nothing but Cheez-its and red wine.  Now we celebrate the night before the cruise in the port hotel (although a much nicer hotel nowadays) with a box of Cheez-its and a bottle of red wine.  Don't judge.  😉

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

I watch YouTube videos of ship tours, cruise itinerary, excursions, walking tours, which street food to try in different ports. 

Spent a lot of time watching videos about Naples, but it seems I won’t be able to wander around. 

At the moment only researching bar & restaurants menus 🙈

• Like 4

On 2/19/2021 at 4:49 AM, Sea saw 56 said:

I have a saved “Cruise Packing List” in my computer’s documents.

I make a daily clothing list according to temperature.
Then, I make a daily spread sheet by date with location, temperature, breakfast-lunch-dinner rezzies for the day, booked shows and excursions.  
By the time we leave we can just enjoy.

Sometimes the planning process really adds to the fun for me.

BUT I may be a bit OCD......

We should all be that kind of OCD, because you may obsessively plan, but you also stated that you can just enjoy by the time you leave. Props to you!  I don't plan quite as much as you but I do make a list on my pc of all the things I'm excited about.

• Like 1

I clean my house spotless before a vacation. I don’t care if it’s clean any other time but I have to come home to a clean house. Maybe it’s my way of ignoring the reality that I no longer have a cabin steward and waitstaff. 

Edited by saltsandknit
  • Like 10

Our last night at home we go out for sushi.  We always spend at least one night in a hotel before boarding and we usually eat the best pizza we can find....NCL still hasn't got pizza down correctly.  I love the couple who eats Cheez-its and red wine...brings back memories of our first hurricane evacuation where we survived on PB crackers and red wine in a rent by the hour Rosita Conchita's motel in South Daytona Beach....long story too and don't judge...we had two big dogs with us and this was the best we could find........

• Like 3

On 2/19/2021 at 2:53 PM, HowardK said:

My spreadsheet would have the hours at sea in a teal color and the rest of the hours in blue- howeve I only had every hour desginated lol. Sometimes I would pack 6 weeks in advance. 

I think you just broke my wife.  She will NEVER be able to call me anal again...

I have to admit that I love the teal colored sea days.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 11:03 PM, BirdTravels said:

Split undergarments between suitcases in case on gets lost. 

Mine are always split and in the carry on.  I can live with a lot of discomforts but cannot live without clean underwear!

On 2/20/2021 at 7:58 AM, moto_italia said:

Before cruise (or any extended vacation):  I unplug pretty much every electronic device in the house except cable modem, wifi router, and security system.  When you've had things destroyed by lightning before, you get paranoid.

During cruise: We try out each of the bars early in the cruise to decide which one we want to make our home bar where we tend to stay for the remainder of our cruise's bar time.

You know, I've always wondered why people have "home" bars? Maybe because I've never been much of a drinker (I'm only an alcoholic on cruise ships because of the bev package), so I don't quite get it. Even when I used to watch Cheers on TV,  it seemed many of them designated Cheers as "My Bar". As long as you have fun, that's all that matters.

• Like 1

We are free range walkers in port.  I always add each cruise terminal to maps so if I get “lost” I can get back to the ship.   Like others I prepack long before the cruise.  Now that all of the lines have apps where you can make reservations prior I am sure I will have the full 3 weeks lined up before I board.  

On 2/21/2021 at 7:20 AM, Ilikebigboats said:

I like to study bar menu’s so when I embark I will be ready to order some exotic concoctions instead of just ordering a white wine all week. 

I will say that on my last cruise, Carnival had a bar called "The Alchemy Bar" (I think). What was great was that you could tell them the alcohol you liked, the color of the drink, and level of sweetness and they will create something for you. I did that and loved it! Most would never order like I did: strong alcohol (Idk what he picked), extremely sweet taste, and purple/lavendar in color.

I am now looking forward to The Haven on NCL, and I've read that they have bartenders who will do the same. I can't wait!

Edited by Calvin
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, saltsandknit said:

I clean my house spotless before a vacation. I don’t care if it’s clean any other time but I have to come home to a clean house. Maybe it’s my way of ignoring the reality that I no longer have a cabin steward and waitstaff. 

I do the same.  Not only is it nice to come home to a super clean house, but IF (God forbid) the house is broken into, the crime scene photos will show a clean house!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

You sound like my kind of cruiser; the Felix Unger of cruising. I'm obsessive too. Normally, I start packing about 1 week before but because my wife had major surgery and we've been immunocompromised, we set our next cruise 18 months after the surgery.  I've laid out our suitcases 7 months in advance, including a printed out packing list in each suitcase!

Besides the teal spreadsheet- I also had similar to you- on my list what is in each carry on as well as the mesh section. I was able to use the same one with minor changes across 3 cruises it works.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 12:03 AM, BirdTravels said:

Split undergarments between suitcases in case on gets lost. 

Good call- on my last cruise I also kept 1 day of clothes in my backpack and 1 in my drawstring bag.

On my only NYC cruise I was so OCD in miami I kind of waited until the rack with my luggage filled up and was moved. 

At NYC you can actually see it sometimes go on the conveyer belt!

OT- I was coming back from NYC through Philly to SJ yesterday- for the first time ever left my backpack on the train- was able to recover it. - most people I know were shocked this happened to me as I check everything