Aft verandah for Alaska

gemde

Many would say Yes. I have not had a verandah to Alaska, although we did upgrade to a balcony for "Alaska of the South", a circumnavigation of South America. For Alaska the last two times, it was more fun to take more people in obscured OVs on the Promenade, than to have a verandah for ourselves.

But, there are many many CC'ers that prefer aft balconies to any other stateroom, and especially Alaska, where views and wildlife can be either side.

How long is your cruise? $90 is a pretty small percentage of most fares... 

3 hours ago, gemde said:

We can upgrade from a deck 7 starboard verandah to an aft for $90 per person.  Is it worth it??

As a photographer, I am an aft-only stateroom passenger in Alaska.  While the ship is moving, I can be on my balcony with no wind and see what is on both sides of the ship.  Rather than having to get dressed to leave my stateroom and then compete for space at the public railings, I can be close to my fridge, heat, phone to Room Service,  and not wait in line to use the public restrooms.  I can have my plate of nachos and a nice beverage right beside me while I take photos from my balcony and also look for wildlife. 

Others may disagree which raises my probability of grabbing an aft stateroom on my next Alaska cruise.

• Like 2

If I score an aft balcony it’s like winning the lottery! In the “olden” days of cruising they were the least expensive cabins. Then the cruise lines caught on to the fact that they were some of the most wanted cabins. Boom! Price increase. 😜 We have the same aft cabin for our next two cruises on the Zuiderdam. Of course, we have to wait until 2022. 
Cheers, Denise

On my first Alaskan sailing I had a huge aft corner balcony on Celebrity Infinity.IMO it is worth considerably more than the amount you will pay.As CrewNews said shelter from the wind with the ability to duck in and hear narration through your TV is a great benefit to any balcony. Your views aft will be spectacular and if you can get on a corner it just doesn't get better unless you sit on the bridge! Enjoy.

• Like 1