Three Post Vaccine Data Points

ew101

My Mom lives in a large, 6+ building senior complex with various levels of care, ranging from apartments to a mini hospital, memory unit, etc.   They have struggled with periodic and sad outbreaks in several units, particularly the nursing home and "transitional care" hospital section.   They started vaccinating everyone (including staff) about two month ago and finished recently.  We just got a letter from them- no COVID-19 cases in the last 30 days.   They have even re-opened the restaurants and pub, being careful of course.   I think this is a large enough sample size to say the vaccine program is working.

Someone we know well is very tuned into the right wing political movement here.  When informed of the fact above said "masks are political but the vaccine data is solid."   I bring this up as the CLIA and cruise line marketing departments think their market is absolutely everyone and live in mortal fear of causing offense.   It may be safe to require a vaccine certificate, as you will have a minority who will refuse but not half your potential guests who would hate you forever.      

I had to smile there is a new study out claiming that COVID-19 does not travel in a viable, infectious form though air conditioning ducts.  Our very own ChengKP called this a year ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ew101 said:

My Mom lives in a large, 6+ building senior complex with various levels of care, ranging from apartments to a mini hospital, memory unit, etc.   They have struggled with periodic and sad outbreaks in several units, particularly the nursing home and "transitional care" hospital section.   They started vaccinating everyone (including staff) about two month ago and finished recently.  We just got a letter from them- no COVID-19 cases in the last 30 days.   They have even re-opened the restaurants and pub, being careful of course.   I think this is a large enough sample size to say the vaccine program is working.

Someone we know well is very tuned into the right wing political movement here.  When informed of the fact above said "masks are political but the vaccine data is solid."   I bring this up as the CLIA and cruise line marketing departments think their market is absolutely everyone and live in mortal fear of causing offense.   It may be safe to require a vaccine certificate, as you will have a minority who will refuse but not half your potential guests who would hate you forever.      

I had to smile there is a new study out claiming that COVID-19 does not travel in a viable, infectious form though air conditioning ducts.  Our very own ChengKP called this a year ago. 

EW 101. Good to see you again. ace2542 in the finance department. Just to clear a couple of things up. You no longer wish to that Cunard should rip the ships up from stem to stern at a cost of many millions to install all the air flow systems you spoke of previously. When insistence on vaccine and proof of vaccine cost us nothing or very little and there is evidence of vaccine providing strong reduction of spread? And we have already had to push new build back by more than a year and are facing at least another 3 months of cancellations.

Edited by ace2542

Always look on the black side of life.......pushing new build back for Cunard has nothing to do with the actual virus it is just because as Carnival have had no income for the last 12 months and costing a small fortune monthly to keep all their ships afloat. They have rightly for financial reasons delayed new build as many other cruise lines have done exactly the same and for the same reasons.

Edited by majortom10

39 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

EW 101. Good to see you again. ace2542 in the finance department. Just to clear a couple of things up. You no longer wish to that Cunard should rip the ships up from stem to stern at a cost of many millions to install all the air flow systems you spoke of previously. When insistence on vaccine and proof of vaccine cost us nothing or very little and there is evidence of vaccine providing strong reduction of spread? And we have already had to push new build back by more than a year and are facing at least another 3 months of cancellations.

The (2020) pre-vaccine discussions of how to make the normal/required aspects of cruising safer- sitting mask-less at the bar, tables for eight, ballroom dancing and health clubs remain.  Do the vaccines (for those who choose to take them) protect against the short range person to person droplet transmission of new variants?  Probably?

I just opened the newspaper "Now is not the time to relax restrictions" - Dr Rochelle Walensky from the CDC. 

Edited by ew101

29 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Always look on the black side of life.......pushing new build back for Cunard has nothing to do with the actual virus it is just because as Carnival have had no income for the last 12 months and costing a small fortune monthly to keep all their ships afloat. They have rightly for financial reasons delayed new build as many other cruise lines have done exactly the same and for the same reasons.

He advocated ripping the ships up to install new air flow systems. Really ripping them up, like ripping out and redoing every stateroom and common area. It would have took months perhaps and cost god knows how much.  It is dead issue now with the proof that vaccines reduce spread by however much percentage plus likely instance on vaccination. I can't see any cruise line pursuing that air flow situation nor it being viable to do so. It would cost what tens of millions? Hundreds of millions?.

23 minutes ago, ew101 said:

The (2020) pre-vaccine discussions of how to make the normal/required aspects of cruising safer- sitting at the bar, tables for eight, ballroom dancing and health clubs remain.  Do the vaccines (for those who choose to take them) protect against the new variants?  Probably?

It remains to be seen CDC will do and what Cunard/Carnival will do international waters as to whether masks will be worn on ships for life or social distancing will remain for life which it might do. Which if they do you can scrap Cunard altogether at least the transatlantic crossings. I don't think there will be much demand for Solo travel or even from the LGBT crowd if they can't have their get togethers which have been attended by more than 100 in the past. Oh and no CC meetup.

But the UK Government seems intent to after mid June to reopen and to accept that Covid is here and like flu learn to live with it and accept that people will die and stand behind their statement that 99% of deaths/hospital admissions will be prevented after the so called top 4 or 5 UK target groups are vaccinated.

Though the main problem the ships face now is vaccine of crew. It could be a long time before they are vaccinated and they can't run a ship in the midst of an outbreak. Too many crew will go down with it. Look at the DVLA in Swansea the english version of your DMV. They have had mass outbreak in their tightly packed call centre and office cafe over period of several weeks though the outbreak is over now.

Edited by ace2542

Just now, ew101 said:

Where?  When?  Staterooms have 100% outside airflow.  And are not the problem.  

The way some people made it sound they would have to rip the ship apart deck by deck and do a mass install of whatever air recycle system they wanted to use. A project which would take months I am sure.