Encore Haven Courtyard Suite v. 2 Bed Villa?

bzv143

Agree with Nursegina - was just on the Encore in March in a Haven Courtyard Penthouse 17726 and it felt very tight - deck 17 so the balcony was larger but it didn't make up for the size of the cabin. Also, heard the booming base of the nearby main pool deck music all day and night when in the cabin. In hindsight, I would definitely book an aft suite even though not in the Haven proper - really unnecessary for us to be right in the Haven.  We did get to see a Haven forward penthouse and while they are two rooms, again very tight, but larger bathroom.  

I had three upgrades denied and our ship was at 3500 passengers due to Escape overflow according to staff.

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2021 at 12:20 PM, Peachypooh said:

We were in a 2 bedroom on deck 17. We really thought the easier access to the Horizon lounge, 2 bathrooms  and larger deck were great.

Totally agree. Great cabin.

• 7 months later...
On 3/4/2021 at 9:57 AM, bzv143 said:

Looking at booking on Encore in the Haven for 2/2022. Just 2 of us. Cannot decide between the 2 Bed Villa on Deck 18 or the Courtyard Penthouse with Large Balcony on Deck 17, both within the Haven. One seems too large and the other too small for just us two oldsters. Advice?

Go for the 2 Bedroom.  You won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 9:57 AM, bzv143 said:

Looking at booking on Encore in the Haven for 2/2022. Just 2 of us. Cannot decide between the 2 Bed Villa on Deck 18 or the Courtyard Penthouse with Large Balcony on Deck 17, both within the Haven. One seems too large and the other too small for just us two oldsters. Advice?

Another thing to consider is that the Courtyard Penthouse bathroom has the shower/tub combo. If either of you have any problems stepping in and out of a tub then definitely go with the 2 Bed Villa since it has a separate shower.

We were in the two bed family suite in September ( Breakaway) and last February in the same room on the Getaway on the 16th floor. Just the two of us. It is a wonderful choice. Steps from the restaurant, bar, lounge, pool. Second  bathroom is a godsend. My husband stays up late watching tv and I can go to sleep in a true master suite. If he needs a bathroom he can use the one attached to the second bathroom. It’s true luxury and if you can afford it , do it! I have heard many who are sucked into suites not in the main Haven complex because it’s cheaper and they all told me that it’s not worth it. Unless you like a lot of walking if you forget a sweater, your glasses , etc. it defeats the purpose of the Haven.

13 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

I have heard many who are sucked into suites not in the main Haven complex because it’s cheaper and they all told me that it’s not worth it.

I'd rather be in an aft-facing suite. I'm happy with the 2 full baths, separate living room/bedroom, and the HUGE balcony. 

15 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Unless you like a lot of walking if you forget a sweater, your glasses , etc. it defeats the purpose of the Haven.

I just have the butler go and get those things if I'm in the courtyard and forget something in the suite. 😉

14 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

I have heard many who are sucked into suites not in the main Haven complex because it’s cheaper and they all told me that it’s not worth it. Unless you like a lot of walking if you forget a sweater, your glasses , etc. it defeats the purpose of the Haven.

Depends on the ship. Last trip we were on the Joy in an HH cabin which is midship on deck 15. Come out of your room and it's a short 2 flights up to the Haven. Room was about 50% bigger than a courtyard room at a discount of ~4K price. Totally worth it to us.

We’ve stayed in both a Haven 2 bdrm and a Haven aft penthouse with large balcony on the Encore.  (Btw, if you are lucky enough to have Rao as your butler, you’ll have a great trip, he’s awesome.)

The 2 bdrm is nice, and having the extra bed/bath is good even if you’re only a couple.  Very good for naps and an extra bathroom makes DH very happy.  However, the balcony is small, even on the large balcony version.  It’s nice being inside the Haven for access to the amenities, but coming/going to and from the rest of the ship isn’t as easy since you have to navigate through the lounge and/or down narrow hallways.  It really depends how much time you plan to spend actually in the Haven complex.

We really liked the Aft penthouse.  Huge balcony with loungers, which is our absolute favourite place to hang out in sea days and warm evenings.  Still has the separate main bedroom and a second bathroom, just no extra nap room.  It’s not a bad trek to the Haven complex, easiest is up to deck 17 and go across outside.  We only ever go there to hit the pool maybe once or twice a cruise, and for maybe a third to a half of the meals, so for us the aft penthouse is just a better fit.

We haven’t done a courtyard penthouse, but they’re really just regular balcony cabins but inside the Haven complex.  Meh.  For anything longer than a couple days, DH and I need more space than that, at least if we don’t want to drive each other nuts.

Overall, it really depends on how you will use the various spaces.

Edited by bookbabe
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

I have heard many who are sucked into suites not in the main Haven complex because it’s cheaper and they all told me that it’s not worth it. Unless you like a lot of walking if you forget a sweater, your glasses , etc. it defeats the purpose of the Haven.

Count me as one of the not-many's that enjoy not being in the Haven complex. Granted, I haven't stayed in the Haven either. On the Getaway, we stayed in a Penthouse Suite on deck 14 and in an Aft-Facing Balcony with Master Bedroom on deck 13. Both were exceptional! 

In March, we're staying in a Haven Suite on the Joy, deck 14, I think. It's not in the Haven complex either. I appreciate having the five minute walk to/from the Haven. Typically I use the outside decks to get some fresh sea air and views. Isn't that why we're all on a cruise? For the ocean? 

If I were to stay in the Haven complex, I fear I wouldn't leave a lot and that would just be sad. I'm not one that really enjoys sun bathing so the Haven sundeck isn't worth a lot to me. I've used it, for about two hours in total on both cruises (seven day and nine day). Now, that Haven pool and the hot tubs. Those get used a lot by us! 

Perhaps someday I won't be so cheap so as to stay in that fancy schmancy complex, but for now...I'll book what I enjoy. 

To each their own. I love coming out of my room and being steps from every thing especially the concierge ( we love the perk of having the concierge or butler take us down in the crew elevator to disembark or get to the theater early). We use the sundeck a lot ( sit in the shade on comfy lounges and have drinks and lunch served to us as we rarely leave the ship on port days ( been there done that). The Haven bar is the most fun and liveliest) the restaurant is great and you can go back to your room in minutes to freshen up before a show. Unless we are with a big group that can't spring for the Haven, that's where we stay now when we sail NCL. Everything about it suits. It's almost as if they read our mind when they designed it. On a long cruise, we become like family.

• Like 1

I agree with the thought of to each their own regarding being in the Haven or out of the Haven complex. Back to the original posters question. When considering between the two rooms another point to consider is the living room versus a single room. My wife loves the fact when the butler brings in coffee in the morning, she's not laying in bed in front of him. While I doubt a butler cares and they are very efficient and quick in set up; she feels obligated to jump up and dash to the bathroom prior to him being let in. With a living room and and a separate bedroom, privacy is assured and the morning starts all the more relaxed. For our cruise she has prioritized having a living room and separate bedroom as the 1st and most important issue. As others have said, the extra bedroom area, the extra bathroom are all bonuses. Given the choice between tight or too large, I'd always error to the side of too large.

• Like 3