NCL Mediterranean departing Barcelona- HOTEL prior to cruise

leblais

So.... I originally booked with NCL for the Mediterranean cruise for Aug 2021.  We had them book us a hotel 2 days prior to our cruise. They put us in Hilton Barcelona at 589-591 Avenida Diagonal at $300 a night. I asked what kind of room and they cant tell me. I look up the price per night directly and it is almost half price, and since we are gold members we would get more perks if I booked this same hotel directly from Hilton PLUS we would pay almost half!!!   I also notice that it isn't really in the city, but more towards the outskirts.

So now, I am not sure this is the hotel for us anymore but I am kind of afraid of the how the flight is not under our control and the times we would be flown in. Since we don't know when we would be flying in, how are we going to arrange transportation to the hotel if we dont use NCL? 

Also, am I wrong about this location? I have never been to Barcelona, but we wanted to be able to walk around the city a little bit (preferably right from the hotel) and then do a day tour of some sort on one of the days.  It seems, from the maps I looked at, that we may have to get a cab to get to the city from this hotel?  This is our first time in Europe and we only speak English, so I am little hesitant about all this coordination of parts if we don't go through NCL. 

Any ideas, suggestions or comments would be helpful.

It’s the most friendly city in the world, from the airport just get a taxi, we use the Eurostar’s grand marina, it has rooftop pool, book a city view with balcony.

Everyone speaks English, just be careful for pickpockets in the rambulus, the cruise terminal is right next door to the hotel. 

• Like 1

Well, first, I would say that your hotel is still very much in the city.  It’s just not in the type of area you are describing you want.  There is a nearby Metro stop which could be used to get around town.  Taxis are cheap. I don’t think I’d want to walk the distance to get to La Rambla, for example.

I’d be tempted to figure out a hotel with a better location. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Everyone speaks English

Except the taxi drivers, in my experience. 🙂

I always make sure I have the address of my hotel on my phone so I can show it if necessary.

Edited by KeithJenner

3 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Except the taxi drivers, in my experience. 🙂

I always make sure I have the address of my hotel on my phone so I can show it if necessary.

do they take credit cards or do I have to get some euros somewhere first?

Look into booking your own air and hotel.  Easy to do.  Compare price to what NCL is offering, but also consider the type of fare (confined to a middle seat on a long flight vs select the seat you want).  Look at TripAdviser for hotel recommendations.  What is it you want to don for 2 days pre-cruise?

I stayed at Hotel Jazz twice before a cruise with NCL. Took a taxi from the airport to the hotel and again from the hotel to the cruise terminal.  It is walkable to Catalonya Square from the hotel.  It's a nice hotel with reasonable prices. 

We stayed at the Lleo which we liked very much.  Very near Placa Catalunya at the top of Las Ramblas.  You can get the HoHo bus there.

Advice I got here on CC - wrote the name and address of our hotel on a card that I could hand to the taxi driver

I'm pretty sure they took credit cards for the taxi - it's been a couple of  years.  But we got euros at the airport at an ATM of a major bank - very good exchange rate.  I opened a Charles Schwab checking account just for that purpose.  No ATM fees on their end and any fees charged by the bank you use are refunded by Schwab.

• Like 1

Just now, teacherman said:

Look into booking your own air and hotel.  Easy to do.  Compare price to what NCL is offering, but also consider the type of fare (confined to a middle seat on a long flight vs select the seat you want).  Look at TripAdviser for hotel recommendations.  What is it you want to don for 2 days pre-cruise?

NCL has a deal going for air right now where the second person flies for free. I dont think I will be able to come close to that when we are flying from USA to Barcelona for 450 a person (well, 900 and then the other is free). I am looking to stay closer to 300 or so but am willing to go as much as i was paying prior ($600) if its a better "Deal" or location or would make my life easier

11 minutes ago, leblais said:

I think I have always paid with cash, as many Barcelona taxis didn’t take cards in the past. That may have changed and me not really noticed.

You can get some Euros at the airport atms if needed.

Edit - I just googled this, as my memory isn’t clear on this one, and it appears that the taxis are now required to take cards (although it isn’t guaranteed that their machines will work).

Edited by KeithJenner

21 minutes ago, leblais said:

You should get Euros before you leave home anyway, as you will want them to buy smaller items during your cruise (and tip your bartender or others on the ship).  Your bank should have a good exchange rate or as someone else mentioned, get a Schwab or Capital One 360 account so you can use ATMs fee free. Also note a lot of places do not take the AmEx card so it is good to have a no foreign transaction fee Visa or MC.

I've stayed at Hotel Cram. It's pretty central,  about a 10 minute walk from La Rambla, Casa Mila and Casa Batllo (2 of the famous Gaudi buildings). There's also a metro station about a block away so exploring the city from here is super easy.  It's a clean, safe hotel/neighborhood, plus the prices are very reasonable considering it also houses a Michelin star restaurant.  Like others have said, it's easy to grab a taxi from the airport to the hotel, and then a taxi from the hotel to the cruise terminal.  

out of curiosity, how much is a taxi from airport to that hotel and from hotel to port?  I guess it doesnt really matter, but I am curious

13 minutes ago, nycteacher said:

I've stayed at Hotel Cram. It's pretty central,  about a 10 minute walk from La Rambla, Casa Mila and Casa Batllo (2 of the famous Gaudi buildings). There's also a metro station about a block away so exploring the city from here is super easy.  It's a clean, safe hotel/neighborhood, plus the prices are very reasonable considering it also houses a Michelin star restaurant.  Like others have said, it's easy to grab a taxi from the airport to the hotel, and then a taxi from the hotel to the cruise terminal.  

7 minutes ago, leblais said:

out of curiosity, how much is a taxi from airport to that hotel and from hotel to port?  I guess it doesnt really matter, but I am curious

From the airport, assuming low traffic, I'd say about $35-$45.  To the cruise terminal, it'll be less than that, $25-$30?  It's been a few years since I've been so prices may have changed. 

15 minutes ago, leblais said:

If you haven't done so already, check out the Spain/Barcelona Ports of Call forum. Lots of good info to peruse.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/465-spain-ports/

• Like 1

We used BW Alfa Aeropuerto as we usually try to use BW.   Free airport shuttle (but you need a phone to arrange pickup).   Easy trip into the centre by a bus directly outside the hotel.   Not too expensive to get to the port especially if sharing with another couple..   Excellent hotel with a decent restaurant on site.

cruised out of barcelona 3 times and always stay at the crowne paza. book a club room if your budget allows. it has a concierge floor with snacks and free alcohol. also, since check in isnt until 2 orso, if you get to the hotel early, they can hold your luggage, and you can go to the club room, relax, and even  crash for a little while until your room is ready. 

staff is super nice, service is good, short distance from airport and the pier.

i recommend this hotel for 5 stars.

We've used the Andante Hotel a couple of times, it is just around the corner from Las Rambles.  

Modern, boutique style hotel which is very clean and has a roof top pool.

Gets good reviews.

Also walkable to the Cruise shuttle buses.

19 hours ago, rhapsodybluezz said:

I stayed at Hotel Jazz twice before a cruise with NCL. Took a taxi from the airport to the hotel and again from the hotel to the cruise terminal.  It is walkable to Catalonya Square from the hotel.  It's a nice hotel with reasonable prices. 

I second Hotel Jazz.  We've stayed there pre-cruise several times and always had a comfortable stay at a sensible price, and well located for strolls around the city or to jump on the Ho-Ho bus if you want to get a bit of everything Barcelona has.

17 hours ago, complawyer said:

cruised out of barcelona 3 times and always stay at the crowne paza. book a club room if your budget allows. it has a concierge floor with snacks and free alcohol. also, since check in isnt until 2 orso, if you get to the hotel early, they can hold your luggage, and you can go to the club room, relax, and even  crash for a little while until your room is ready. 

staff is super nice, service is good, short distance from airport and the pier.

i recommend this hotel for 5 stars.

Stayed at this hotel also. Strongly recommend it if you're an IHG member. I don't think everybody has access to the concierge floor that has the snacks and alcohol, only if you're a member. The staff was amazing! And there's several excellent restaurants within a 10 minute walk.

I don't remember the cost of taxis, but it was easy to get around anywhere in the city. And it was our first time in Europe too.

1 hour ago, Bear Down said:

Stayed at this hotel also. Strongly recommend it if you're an IHG member. I don't think everybody has access to the concierge floor that has the snacks and alcohol, only if you're a member. The staff was amazing! And there's several excellent restaurants within a 10 minute walk.

I don't remember the cost of taxis, but it was easy to get around anywhere in the city. And it was our first time in Europe too.

fyi..  you dont need to be a member to book tis type of room, and if need be, you can sign up prior to arrival.  when i  1st booked the room, we were no members, but we filled out the paper work when we got there