UK Only Viking Venus Cruise

NeilP57

Key points from the latest update received by email from Viking:

• Upon arrival at the cruise terminal, passengers will be provided with a welcome pack containing a cruise card and a contact-tracing dongle.
  • After passing through security, a designated shuttle bus will transfer passengers to the ship. Passengers will then proceed to their stateroom where they will be required to provide a saliva sample. Passengers are asked to refrain from consuming any food or beverage item or smoking for at least one hour before submitting the saliva sample.
  • While waiting for the test results, vaccinated guests will be able to use the public spaces onboard while observing current mask and social distancing requirements, or they may remain in their statement and enjoy a welcome snack and complimentary refreshments.
  • Passengers will be tested periodically on board the ship as required by Viking.
  • All guests must leave the ship by 8:30AM on the morning of departure.

30 minutes ago, pcolmer said:

• Upon arrival at the cruise terminal, passengers will be provided with a welcome pack containing a cruise card and a contact-tracing dongle.
  • After passing through security, a designated shuttle bus will transfer passengers to the ship. Passengers will then proceed to their stateroom where they will be required to provide a saliva sample. Passengers are asked to refrain from consuming any food or beverage item or smoking for at least one hour before submitting the saliva sample.
  • While waiting for the test results, vaccinated guests will be able to use the public spaces onboard while observing current mask and social distancing requirements, or they may remain in their statement and enjoy a welcome snack and complimentary refreshments.
  • Passengers will be tested periodically on board the ship as required by Viking.

Thanks for this!  Wonder how they will notify passengers of the test results. Maybe the dongle will start making the sound of a submarine diving if the test is positive? 😂

Also, I wonder how many times my mother-in-law will have to have her dongle replaced. She typically “looses” her key card at least twice on a cruise-usually found moments after replacement in her purse. 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, pcolmer said:

Thanks for the informative update. Just wondered if there was anything in the joining information about a luggage drop and transfer to the ship. 

I'm thinking particularly about those arriving by car who will be required to park their cars themselves before making their way to the terminal. Will those arriving by car be able to drop their bags anywhere before heading off to the car park? Would be great if we could drop bags rather than having to unload and drag your luggage from the car park 

1 minute ago, arlowood said:

Thanks for the informative update. Just wondered if there was anything in the joining information about a luggage drop and transfer to the ship. 

I'm thinking particularly about those arriving by car who will be required to park their cars themselves before making their way to the terminal. Will those arriving by car be able to drop their bags anywhere before heading off to the car park? Would be great if we could drop bags rather than having to unload and drag your luggage from the car park 

Here you go:

Arriving by car: Designated car parking for Viking guests is available at Portsmouth’s cruise terminal. Upon arrival, a port representative will be on hand to guide you to your parking spot and the bag drop area. Your luggage will be delivered directly to your stateroom. Car parking is charged at £10/day. Payment can be made in advance online at https://www.cruiseparking.co.uk or upon arrival on site by card. No cash payments are accepted. The cruise terminal is a 5-minute walk from the car park. Please arrive at the cruise terminal at your allocated embarkation time slot where you will be greeted by a Viking Representative.

o The car park address is: Portsmouth International Port, George Byng Way, Portsmouth PO2 8SP.

Sorry I omitted it - I wasn't sure how useful that bit would be.

Having read it a few times as I don't think it is entirely clear, I think it reads as if there will be a bag drop area at the car park.

4 minutes ago, pcolmer said:

Here you go:

Arriving by car: Designated car parking for Viking guests is available at Portsmouth’s cruise terminal. Upon arrival, a port representative will be on hand to guide you to your parking spot and the bag drop area. Your luggage will be delivered directly to your stateroom. Car parking is charged at £10/day. Payment can be made in advance online at https://www.cruiseparking.co.uk or upon arrival on site by card. No cash payments are accepted. The cruise terminal is a 5-minute walk from the car park. Please arrive at the cruise terminal at your allocated embarkation time slot where you will be greeted by a Viking Representative.

o The car park address is: Portsmouth International Port, George Byng Way, Portsmouth PO2 8SP.

Sorry I omitted it - I wasn't sure how useful that bit would be.

Having read it a few times as I don't think it is entirely clear, I think it reads as if there will be a bag drop area at the car park.

Thanks for the clarification. We've pre-booked our parking with CPS so will be looking out for the directions to the designated area. From the info you've provided it does look as if there will be a bag drop area at the designated car park. That's good to know.

Hopefully we'll get more feedback from the passengers reporting back from the first cruise this weekend. We're on the 5th June sailing so I'd expect any possible glitches to be ironed out by then.

We are on the June 5th cruise and pre-booked and pre-paid the Portsmouth port parking with Apcoca. They did a special Viking Venus deal for £55 which I believe others mentioned on here. 
I assume this will be the same car park as the CPS link in the recent email? 

Anyone checked out the AIS on Venus. Currently shows her destination as Portsmouth, USA. In my day, that would cost the Navigator a case of beer.😁

Fortunately she appears bound for the Solent via the Inshore Traffic Zone.

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Anyone checked out the AIS on Venus. Currently shows her destination as Portsmouth, USA. In my day, that would cost the Navigator a case of beer.😁

Fortunately she appears bound for the Solent via the Inshore Traffic Zone.

Now docked in Portsmouth UK but the AIS info still insists she is in Portsmouth USA. Will be a long trek for the pax due to join her on Saturday😍

Edited by arlowood
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

We are on the first of these Viking Venus UK cruises tomorrow so happy to report back or even during the cruise on some of these issues. Friends have just had 3 days on-board on the naming and proving voyage so may get some feedback today.

Initially I couldn't really understand why we had to only go on-shore in a Viking excursion. However I have come to accept that they are being ultra cautious keeping us in bubbles as if there is one case of Covid on board and it spreads the cruising business will be set back months.

Any who haven't cruised with Viking before you are in for a treat. 3 years ago we had first ever cruise and that was with Viking. Getting quite emotional at the thought of returning to them.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, timbloom said:

Friends have just had 3 days on-board on the naming and proving voyage so may get some feedback today.

I did notice that CPS had added some extra codes for Venus cruises before 22nd May so this explains that. Lucky friends!

Bon voyage to all of you first on the Venus. You beat us Viking Sky passengers to it!! (Much gnashing of teeth here!) So wish I was off tomorrow too!

Really hope the sun comes out for you and this wretched rain stops! Hope you have a fabulous trip.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, timbloom said:

We are on the first of these Viking Venus UK cruises tomorrow so happy to report back or even during the cruise on some of these issues. Friends have just had 3 days on-board on the naming and proving voyage so may get some feedback today.

Initially I couldn't really understand why we had to only go on-shore in a Viking excursion. However I have come to accept that they are being ultra cautious keeping us in bubbles as if there is one case of Covid on board and it spreads the cruising business will be set back months.

Any who haven't cruised with Viking before you are in for a treat. 3 years ago we had first ever cruise and that was with Viking. Getting quite emotional at the thought of returning to them.

Please share any and all information. I think all of us are thirsty to hear about cruising again and especially about how the Covid related protocols work. 

Have a great cruise!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, timbloom said:

My first ever cruise was 3 years ago on Viking.  Loved it!  We are on an Iceland one in July and very curious to hear about all the protocols followed on yours.

3 hours ago, timbloom said:

Have a great cruise. Sorry that the weather forecast is not looking too promising but I'm sure the Viking on board experience will compensate. We've had several Viking river cruises and one Viking Ocean cruise 3 years ago. Jumped at the chance for the UK Shores cruise to avoid the hassle of flying to join the ship. We're on the 5th June sailing so would welcome any feedback on your initial impressions of the embarkation process and the general on board ambiance with the COVID restrictions in place.

I somehow don't think it will happen but I would love Viking to relax their "excursion bubble" policy to allow some independent shore exploration

Edited by arlowood
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, timbloom said:

Enjoy it! Have a great cruise.  Looking forward to the updates!

• Like 1

Our friends got home today after 3 nights on the shake down cruise. They have a professional relationship with the owner and company, hence they get a few days on most shake down inaugural cruises of new ships.

They had no negative comments about the experience but I think even fewer people on board than the 50% we are all sailing with.

Watch this space.

• Like 1

We’ve been looking at the Venus webcam which updates every 10 minutes and have seen one or two coaches approaching the ship and even some people in red tops that could be Viking crew.  Looks like the restart is happening!  

• Like 2

Great to see photos starting to appear on Facebook in the UK from passengers already on board .In cabins apparently within 25-35 minutes of arrival.

Some seen in explorers lounge and having lunch in World Cafe.

Very encouraging.

Only 230 on board ,will be 460 on next sailing they have been told.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, sugarside said:

Great to see photos starting to appear on Facebook in the UK from passengers already on board .In cabins apparently within 25-35 minutes of arrival.

Some seen in explorers lounge and having lunch in World Cafe.

Very encouraging.

Had a quick FB search but can't find the posts you mention. Any links available or specific search keywords to use?

47 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Had a quick FB search but can't find the posts you mention. Any links available or specific search keywords to use?

We Love Viking Cruises (UK)

A members group on Facebook.

3 hours ago, sugarside said:

I guess that makes sense. It allows Viking to make sure that the ship & crew have bedded in and that their health protocols are working.

Speaking of health protocols, the captain has just announced a delayed departure from Portsmouth because they are still carrying out the PCR tests... It will be interesting to see how frequently Viking ask us to get tested.