EU: Digital Green Certificates For Travel

Daniel A

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

it's also important to remember that because the vaccines are being used under EUAs rather than full approvals employees of the hospital can't be required to undergo vaccination . 

The employees cannot be fired for refusing the vaccination but the law permits consequences for refusal and the employee must be informed of the consequences for refusing.  For example, the employees can be reassigned to other duties that do not involve patient or public contact such as being assigned to the laundry or the morgue etc.  I have posted before that a friend who was in the hospital for several months found out the day before his discharge date that he would be quarantined in his room for another 2 weeks because one of his nurses who refused the vaccine tested positive.

As an additional note, IMHO, cruise lines requiring all vaccinated passengers will still most likely want to see negative PCR tests before boarding and at several points during the cruise.  I have no problem with that at all.

Edited by Daniel A

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

The employees cannot be fired for refusing the vaccination but the law permits consequences for refusal and the employee must be informed of the consequences for refusing.  For example, the employees can be reassigned to other duties that do not involve patient or public contact such as being assigned to the laundry or the morgue etc.  I have posted before that a friend who was in the hospital for several months found out the day before his discharge date that he would be quarantined in his room for another 2 weeks because one of his nurses who refused the vaccine tested positive.

As an additional note, IMHO, cruise lines requiring all vaccinated passengers will still most likely want to see negative PCR tests before boarding and at several points during the cruise.  I have no problem with that at all.

I find this lawyer's discussion of the very unsettled EUA-related employment issues to be well thought out. (I suspect I may have cited this piece in an earlier discussion)

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=e8cb7bd6-3948-4793-aa34-1d210f3ade7c

In particular, this stood out:

"The FDCA does not address this issue, but it would be difficult to argue that the required disclosure of the “consequences” of refusing administration of the vaccine contemplates things like termination of employment (as opposed to health-related consequences). Moreover, as noted above, once the current HHS declaration of a public emergency under Section 564 is terminated, an employer mandating that employees receive an EUA vaccine will do so knowing (or presumed to know) that such a mandate is unlawful."

On 3/28/2021 at 5:24 PM, pinotlover said:

Doubt it will happen that way. Before docking, the ships will be required to provide verification that all passengers and crew aboard have been vaccinated. Any cruise line caught providing false information will be dealt with.

They are required to do this now.  Its called pratique.  Its been in use since 1609!

The "gold standard" is and remains the WHO Carte Jaune.  Its recognized world-wide and border crossing.  No need to create a new record.  There are already 17 different options flooding the US market.  Buy this app or that app - doesn't "prove" anything more than the Carte Jaune does.

4 hours ago, Globehoppers said:

They are required to do this now.  Its called pratique.  Its been in use since 1609!

The "gold standard" is and remains the WHO Carte Jaune.  Its recognized world-wide and border crossing.  No need to create a new record.  There are already 17 different options flooding the US market.  Buy this app or that app - doesn't "prove" anything more than the Carte Jaune does.

We took the WHO Carte Jaune , our yellow cards with us when we had our shots.  The nurse went ahead and added the Covid vaccinations and gave us the CDC card as well.  Who knows what we will need when it all shakes out.

On 4/4/2021 at 2:26 PM, alaskaca said:

We took the WHO Carte Jaune , our yellow cards with us when we had our shots.  The nurse went ahead and added the Covid vaccinations and gave us the CDC card as well.  Who knows what we will need when it all shakes out.

We just had ours updated by our PCP with the Pfizer prophylaxis to go along with yellow fever, smallpox, influenza, tetanus, etc.  Passports sent to US State Department for renewal.  Have three cruises booked for 2022 in Europe and T/As.  Ready when "they" are.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 3:04 PM, pinotlover said:

Just for a look to the future. My wife is scheduling her colonoscopy. She’s told she needs a negative Covid test. The procedure will be done by a hospital affiliated facility with full access to her charts.

Wife: I’ve had both of my shots, you can see my shot records.

Clerk: Doesn’t matter, we can’t discriminate against those that haven’t or don’t get theirs. Everyone gets tested 3-5 days prior to procedure.

Wife: So the hospital is saying “ getting the shots doesn’t matter “.

Clerk: Maybe you’re one of the 5% that can still get it.

Wife: Hasn’t everyone here been vaccinated?

Clerk: That confidential, why do you care about the test, Medicare pays?

So perhaps it all comes down to the last sentence. As long as the hospital can Bill Medicare, nothing will change.

Hi All

here in U.K my sister who has had both Pfizer vaccinations is due to go into hospital for a long awaited operation tomorrow, she's has to go and have a C-19 test before being admitted.

On another note U.K is no longer in EEC (sob) so European rules don't apply here.

Can't wait to sail again 

xxxx

Josie

Singapore Airlines and Air New Zealand are trialling a digital Travel Pass app developed with International Air Transport Association.

This will record test results and vaccinations, check against the destination requirements and show a green tick when requirements are met.

It can be shared with the airline before arriving at the airport. 

Funny story -- I was applying for a State grad school 20 years ago -- they had a huge packet to fill out and one of the sections was health with verification of all childhood vaccines -- They said to get confirmation from my doctor or I would have to take all shots again (that wasn't going to happen) - well my childhood doctor has been dead for 30 or 40 years. I said (which I swear I do still have it) my mother gave me a loose leaf paper with all my shots; they said no way; I ended up going to a private grad school that took me with no medical information required. 😁

I am totally in favor of a vaccine (online) passport; the irony is I am back to a paper vaccine confirmation for Covid  -- 60 years later... I can put it with my mother's loose leaf paper.. 😊

Happy Sailing!!!🛳️

Edited by neilrr
  • Like 1