PRIDE OF AMERICA

buckeye rob

I just booked Pride of America for October '21 and did a fairly extensive search on suite cabins. 

It's a super expensive cruise but with the current discounts and an extra 10% off from a cancelled cruise, I figured now was the time to go for it.

I found that youtube is your friend. So many passengers have shot short videos of their cabins, you can see nearly any cabin you want - or a duplicate one next door or on the other side of the ship (refer to deck plans). Pay close attention to where the windows face. Some have a view of the deck from the side not straight on. There are even a couple porthole views which are fun but I'd prefer a full door view.

From what I found, many of the balconies are "enclosed" like the old days. There are some with huge decks that extend way, way out. So if you spend your time in the cabin, your view is of the deck, not the scenery. But if you'll be outdoors more, the big deck would be amazing. 

Some even have hot tubs, but not on deck 13.

In the end, I opted for a cabin with a small deck. 

Now we'll see if she actually sails!

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 4:43 PM, bgTexasguy said:

Can't help you with suite info on the PoA, but you might enjoy reading:

https://profcruise.com/35-tips-for-your-cruise-to-hawaii-on-ncls-pride-of-america/

Thanks folks.  Looks like some great ideas.  DEXDD,  we booked Owners Suite 12000.  Thought about those same points, although we are on starboard side.  Had heard about the port side advantage though.                                                                                                                                                                           We were in Haven in Joy for our cancelled August Bermuda cruise and with the 25% and 10% additional discounts we didn't have to pay too much difference at all.  For the life of me though, I don't understand cruiseline "math".  My calculations had us about $1,000 ahead.  Oh well.  Regards, Gerry.

I personally wouldn't spend money on a suite on the POA as it lacks the full Haven experience you get on newer/bigger ships. But to each their own. My sister & I had connecting cabins in the large balcony room category and it was lovely. The rooms were small, but the balcony was very deep. Two lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs, and 2 small tables. So the 4 of us would sit out there each night watching the stars and playing cards.

Amazing trip for sure that I would even consider doing a second time. If you're not able to get a cabin on the left side of the ship, make sure you've got a good vantage point from a public deck area for the sail around the na pali coast. Both sides do get to see it, but the first pass is with a view for folks on the left side of the ship, so the sun is better if you're interested in taking good photos. We were on the left, so caught the full narrated sail by on the first pass, then went to dinner afterwards rather than waiting for our turn and eating later.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, buckeye rob said:

Thanks folks.  Looks like some great ideas.  DEXDD,  we booked Owners Suite 12000.  Thought about those same points, although we are on starboard side.  Had heard about the port side advantage though.                                                                                                                                                                           We were in Haven in Joy for our cancelled August Bermuda cruise and with the 25% and 10% additional discounts we didn't have to pay too much difference at all.  For the life of me though, I don't understand cruiseline "math".  My calculations had us about $1,000 ahead.  Oh well.  Regards, Gerry.

Good choice.  The ship does turn around that last day.

We had 12502 which is mirror image of what you have.  Great room and balcony with whirlpool.  We did a 11 cut to 10 day SFO to Hawaii repo after the 2016 refurb.  

The POA has the widest variety of OS in the fleet with I think five types.  General input is OS on 12 first, next 10.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dexddd said:

We had 12502 which is mirror image of what you have.  Great room and balcony with whirlpool.  We did a 11 cut to 10 day SFO to Hawaii repo after the 2016 refurb.  

The POA has the widest variety of OS in the fleet with I think five types.  General input is OS on 12 first, next 10.

We have 12502 in December 2021 (hopefully) and picked it after watching videos of all of the POA OS we could find.  It looked like the best one, it and 12000, in terms of layout and space.  And 12502 is port side, so that was our deciding factor between the two.

I’m glad you give the room a good review.  Here’s hoping the cruises are running and we don’t have to rebook.  I’m really looking forward to both the cruise and the suite.

On 3/26/2021 at 10:10 AM, buckeye rob said:

Looking at going on the Pride of America to replace our cancelled Joy cruise to Bermuda.  Looking for suite level input on one's preference.

Any favorite suites, pros-cons of this cruise ?  Regards, Gerry.

I would agree that this is one cruise where a suite is not “necessary”. You leave Honolulu late, so there is no real sail away. You are in port every day. No sea days. And two over night port calls (go to a luau dinner and enjoy sunrise at the top of a volcano). Basically, you are only sleeping in your cabin, waking early each day to get ashore. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, buckeye rob said:

I had the Owners Suite 12000 in May of 2016.  This is a very nice cabin and I loved the Jacuzzi on the deck, so easy to use and a nice treat.  I liked the location and it was so easy to go out to the pool deck.  It has sort of a private entrance with an easy to get to elevator that people on the other floors don't really use.  The one think I didn't like was there there was no sink at the bar and no hard liquor with the Owners Suite due to the Hawaiian laws, just bottles of wine.  I think 12502 the mirror image is a tad better for viewing the Napali coast but I have heard that they turn the ship around so everyone can see it.  It was foggy the night we did the sail.  There is one large balcony cabin on deck 12 and that would be the one that I would take. We took the Owners Suite as there were 4 Sisters using the suite and it was a better value than 2 balconies. If I were to do it again, I would do a regular balcony as you spend so much time in port and the ship really is a floating hotel.  If you are on the ship as that is the main focus to relax then splurge on a suite. I think I posted photo's of our cabin somewhere on the CC site.

13 hours ago, dexddd said:

Guess the big reason for choosing 12000 was no adjoining suite forward of us. (the bridge) ?  In 12502 it seems as if there was a cabin , suite on both sides.  Don't know if that really matters though.  Thought a little more privacy.  I believe 12502 is still available, maybe think about that for the Napali exposure.  Regards, Gerry.

Edited by buckeye rob

13 hours ago, bookbabe said:

We have 12502 in December 2021 (hopefully) and picked it after watching videos of all of the POA OS we could find.  It looked like the best one, it and 12000, in terms of layout and space.  And 12502 is port side, so that was our deciding factor between the two.

I’m glad you give the room a good review.  Here’s hoping the cruises are running and we don’t have to rebook.  I’m really looking forward to both the cruise and the suite.

It is a great room.  If you can do it, go for it despite those financial planners managing your money.

Hope all goes as planned for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1