Will Viking use Marghera Port, Ravenna Port or Trieste Port in Venice?

Dukefan

A couple of days ago, Italy's ministers for the environment, culture, tourism, and infrastructure agreed to temporarily divert the cruise ships to the port of Marghera.   This port is much more convenient to get to either the airport or to Venice than either Ravenna or Triesta which had been dicussed in an effort to reduce traffic around Venice.  It means cruise passengers will no longer sail passed St. Mark's on their way into port.   Since Marghera is currently an industrial port it will be interesting to see how the cruise lines and the local transportation services manage this situation especially since this was announced as a temporary move until a long term solution can be developed.   It will be interesting to see how Viking is able to manage this change.  Of course, since Viking ships are not considered large cruise ships by some, they may be able to still use the current Venice port.  Here is the article announcing the decission:  https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/italy-agrees-to-divert-cruise-ships-from-venice-to-industrial-port

Difference is that both Ravenna and Trieste are interesting destinations in themselves.  A couple of years ago our Taxi Driver from Venice to the Airport was saying that Marghera had been mooted as an alternative but he thought it would cost an enormous amount of money to make it suitable and the visitors would probably hate it as it very very industrial.

T

1 hour ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Difference is that both Ravenna and Trieste are interesting destinations in themselves.  A couple of years ago our Taxi Driver from Venice to the Airport was saying that Marghera had been mooted as an alternative but he thought it would cost an enormous amount of money to make it suitable and the visitors would probably hate it as it very very industrial. 

If you are wanting to see Venice, Marghera is a much better port since it is about 15 minutes from the city where Ravenna and Trieste are each over two hours.  Of course, if I was a taxi driver, I would prefer to drive folks 2+ hours instead of 15 minutes.

Edited by Dukefan

39 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

T

If you are wanting to see Venice, Marghera is a much better port since it is about 15 minutes from the city where Ravenna and Trieste are each over two hours.  Of course, if I was a taxi driver, I would prefer to drive folks 2+ hours instead of 15 minutes.

There are many of us that have loved and visited Venice over many years and I would always recommend that one should stay in Venice for several days.  My point was that the option of Marghera has been talked about by the powers that be in Venice for many years.  Cruise ships have been a bone of contention for years with many options discussed but not actually chosen.   However for those who are planning a longer visit to Venice both of the other options would provide an interesting visit.

I agree with those saying at least a few days in Venice.  A cruise ship stop, no matter where docked, is simply not enough time.  If Venice is your embarkation or disembarkation port then you can arrange to stay a few days either end.  What a wonderful experience is Venice..

It is possible to use the main commercial channel into the Venice cruise ship terminal in both directions, and skip the traditional route up the Giudecca canal passage.

(Cruise lines and passengers would hate that, however)

i have been fortunate enough to sail past St Marks on several occasions including on Viking. Last time on Azamara in 2019 we were due to dock at St Basilio, which is much nicer than the cruise terminal.  Sadly we did not as an incident a few days before with an MSC ship hitting another boat meant we went to the regular terminal.

However we have had two sailings on Royal Clipper and Star Clipper, both in the Western Med, but I think the ultimate would be to sail out of Venice past all those wonderful sights on one of those beautiful ships.  Also a much better experience for those on land, rather than seeing a huge block of mega cruise ship passing St Marks.

One issue with the larger ships sailing up the Giudecca and past St Marks is the amount of turbulence and channel relocation they may create.

It's a sensitive topic. Or was, back when tourists were a problem in Venice...

Those of us that have visited Venice over the years have seen the challenges that the large cruise ships bring as the city appears more and more fragile each year.  There are few sights more wonderful in cruising than sailing past St. Marks, but I personally would give that up to save this city for future generations to enjoy.   

I completely agree with other posters that not spending several days in Venice if your cruise starts or ends there is a waste or your cruise.   Even if your ship overnight's in Venice, it is not enough time to truly enjoy this wonderful city.  Part of the best time in Venice is after the day visitors have left and you can enjoy a dinner over looking the canal, doing a gondola ride,  just walking around, listening to music at a bar or theater, etc.  

• Like 2