Deck Plans for the Original Queen Mary from the 1950's?

Smokeyham

Hello,

My mother sailed on the original Queen Mary in the 1950's.  I have a letter from her saying that she was in cabin C-189.  She passed away a number of years back, so I can no longer ask her for details, but she said the cabin was in Cabin Class, at the bow and from her description it may have been an inside cabin.

Does anyone know where I might find a deck plan from that era?

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, westerdam said:

I would try Ebay.  Just search Cunard Line or Cunard Line Queen Mary.  There are usually plenty of deck plans among other things there. 

Thanks......  I did find one on offer for $40 for the one deck I am interested in.   I was thinking that somewhere this might just be posted on the internet for free.   

If you search on a regular basis you can find one much cheaper than that.  Maybe in the 15 dollar or less range.  I will have to see where my Cunard plans are I am sure that I have one for Cabin Class.  If I  do I will try to get a picture of the cabin location.  

56 minutes ago, westerdam said:

If you search on a regular basis you can find one much cheaper than that.  Maybe in the 15 dollar or less range.  I will have to see where my Cunard plans are I am sure that I have one for Cabin Class.  If I  do I will try to get a picture of the cabin location.  

Thanks for looking.  I appreciate it!

Do several searches for Queen Mary deck plans.  I found several I could copy...very interesting.  I have pics in Shutterfly but can’t post on my iPad.  Will get on pc later.  I did a very detailed post about my visit on another very small forum, but I can’t link to it here.  EM

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I found a cheaper version ($20) on eBay and have purchased that.  I'll see if I can post pictures of the plans back on here once they arrive.

This isn't quite the area of deck C that you're looking for, but a friend of mine emigrated on the Queen Mary. She still has her ticket, passenger list and deck plans.  I photo'd the section of the deck where her cabin was.  It'll give you an idea of what the deck looked like, until your purchased copy arrives.

QM Robys Bedroom.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, frankp01 said:

This isn't quite the area of deck C that you're looking for, but a friend of mine emigrated on the Queen Mary. She still has her ticket, passenger list and deck plans.  I photo'd the section of the deck where her cabin was.  It'll give you an idea of what the deck looked like, until your purchased copy arrives.

Thanks!  That is a great shot.  I remember Mum talking about how the steward would draw a bath for your and then let her know when the bath was ready.

C189 is clearly shown in this Queen Mary deck plan I have, the one used for her final voyage from the UK, around Cape Horn and on to Long Beach.  The cabin is not inside but actually outside but doesn't have private facilities.  Note the toilets and baths down the hall.  The steward had to coordinate bath time for his passengers.  I don't have any documentation about whether this was Cabin Class or Tourist Class.

I never got to sail on her but visited her at her pier in NYC.  At that time anyone could pay a small fee and get aboard.  I used to like to sit in the First Class lounge, listen to the band play while the champagne flowed at the bon voyage parties.  My father sailed on her when she left New York the day after D Day.  The troops were packed in, sleeping on deck, in lounges and even in the swimming pool.

I've stayed aboard her several times in Long Beach.  It's a wonderful thing to do if you love ocean liners.  It's sad to hear that she is in such finacial trouble now and faces an uncertain future.

QM C deck.jpg

19 hours ago, Conte Di Savoia said:

C189 is clearly shown in this Queen Mary deck plan I have, the one used for her final voyage from the UK, around Cape Horn and on to Long Beach.  The cabin is not inside but actually outside but doesn't have private facilities.  Note the toilets and baths down the hall.  The steward had to coordinate bath time for his passengers.  I don't have any documentation about whether this was Cabin Class or Tourist Class.

I never got to sail on her but visited her at her pier in NYC.  At that time anyone could pay a small fee and get aboard.  I used to like to sit in the First Class lounge, listen to the band play while the champagne flowed at the bon voyage parties.  My father sailed on her when she left New York the day after D Day.  The troops were packed in, sleeping on deck, in lounges and even in the swimming pool.

I've stayed aboard her several times in Long Beach.  It's a wonderful thing to do if you love ocean liners.  It's sad to hear that she is in such finacial trouble now and faces an uncertain future.

@Conte Di Savoia

Thanks so much for posting that!  Can advise if that is port or starboard side and if it is forward or aft?

I agree.... Very sad that she is in financial difficulties in Long Beach.  It sounds like it would take quite an investment ($235 million to $289 million according to one survey in 2015) to bring her back.   

22 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I would guess that it is starboard side, as all of the cabin numbers are odd, and in the previous pic, farther forward, it is clearly starboard as the bow tapers and cabins are all odd numbers also.  EM

Thanks......... I appreciate all of the information.

56 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Just shows how good the modern QM2 is for anyone except those that were in first class

I agree, the ships have really improved for all levels of passengers.   Of course, this has to be looked at in perspective for the time she was built.  I remember in the 1970's staying at hotels in Britain where there were shared bathrooms and if you wanted to watch TV you went down to a lounge.  

The original deck plans of the ship indicate that C189 was a Third Class cabin and was midship starboard side.  The port side of C deck accomodated storage facilities  for food supplies and was not open to the public.  

I found this picture of a typical outside Third Class cabin.  It is a good representation of what C189 would have looked like.  There weren't  any private facilities but there was a sink.  None of Queen Mary's cabins were air conditioned although the main lounges were retrofitted with AC but only after WWII.

QM Third Class Cabin.jpg