Return flight timing question

Ag cruiser

Currently booked on the October 16th-27th cruise aboard the Pursuit to Greece and Turkey leaving and returning thru Athens.  Just beginning to look at flights and plan to book myself.  Will fly in a few days early before the cruise but was looking at flying out on our return day, the 27th.  Supposedly we dock in Athens at 5:00 am on our return.  Could we reasonably make an 11:00 am flight out of Athens?  That's the latest flight that only has one stop on our way home.  Otherwise we overnight in Athens and leave the next day which would be ok but I'd rather have my all of my extra nights in Athens on the front end if it works.  TIA.

It is hard to answer any question like that at present.  Based on previous years the answer would be very tight but possible -  you would need to be on the first walk off, have a pre arranged car and cross your fingers - its a 45-50 minute ride as check in would be closing at 09.00.  However who knows now - what bio checks will need to be completed on guests before anyone is allowed ashore?  Might you have to check in even earlier at the airport to complete any testing etc etc.  Honestly everything is so unknown this year, I  would stay another day in Athens.

• Like 2

We’re currently booked on the same cruise. I checked on a European website for cruises, and they indicate the earliest flight they recommend is 11:00, so I suppose technically it could be done. Far too much hassle and stress for me at the end of a vacation, so we’re planning to return to Athens for another night and fly home the next day.

Cross posted with Uktog, but we have the same thoughts!

Edited by cpgrneyes
  • Like 2

Thanks for the info, confirms what I suspected unfortunately.  Think I'm going to wait a little longer to book my airfare and see if a later flight gets added or will plan on another night in Athens.  Agree that flight sounds like more stress than I want at the end of a vacation.  Hard to make plans when you're not 100% sure the cruise will happen or that you will go if does it happen.  So many variables right now!  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ag cruiser said:

Thanks for the info, confirms what I suspected unfortunately.  Think I'm going to wait a little longer to book my airfare and see if a later flight gets added or will plan on another night in Athens.  Agree that flight sounds like more stress than I want at the end of a vacation.  Hard to make plans when you're not 100% sure the cruise will happen or that you will go if does it happen.  So many variables right now!  

Best plan. To Athens airport from the ship is not that close either. And the taxi drivers can be a bit frightening with their driving. I'd recommend booking a ride. I've used Welcome Pickups and they were excellent. After grabbing a taxi from the rank I vowed never again!  

Phil 

• Like 5

Great info, thank you! 

Spent some time reading over in the Windstar forum and it makes me seriously question whether we will be on this cruise if Windstar's policies are indicative of what is coming by Azamara and other cruise lines.  Windstar has announced they are requiring vaccinations (👍), a COVID test within 72 hours of boarding (they appear to be rethinking that), a COVID test upon boarding, mask wearing required indoors and outdoors on ship, only Windstar excursions.  That just sounds awful.   I completely understand and support requiring vaccinations, but I am not comfortable with multiple COVID tests once already in foreign countries (what happens if one comes back with a false positive?), mask wearing I don't understand on the ship if everyone is vaccinated (especially outdoors) and just hate being required to only explore via group tours.  

Guessing there will be multiple revisions of what is allowed/required due to COVID and it will be interesting to see where things end up over the next few months.  Kind of thinking we may be doing domestic travelling in 2021 and save our cruising until 2022......

• Like 3

20 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Best plan. To Athens airport from the ship is not that close either. And the taxi drivers can be a bit frightening with their driving. I'd recommend booking a ride. I've used Welcome Pickups and they were excellent. After grabbing a taxi from the rank I vowed never again!  

Phil 

Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 7:03 AM, Ag cruiser said:

Currently booked on the October 16th-27th cruise aboard the Pursuit to Greece and Turkey leaving and returning thru Athens.  Just beginning to look at flights and plan to book myself.  Will fly in a few days early before the cruise but was looking at flying out on our return day, the 27th.  Supposedly we dock in Athens at 5:00 am on our return.  Could we reasonably make an 11:00 am flight out of Athens?  That's the latest flight that only has one stop on our way home.  Otherwise we overnight in Athens and leave the next day which would be ok but I'd rather have my all of my extra nights in Athens on the front end if it works.  TIA.

We had the same dilemma for a cruise ending Sep. 28 in Athens.  We chose to spend the extra night and take the Sep. 29 flight rather than fret about what the entry requirements would be in place at that time.  We're still not 100% positive the cruise will depart on time or if so, what the itinerary will be!  We decided not to wait because the flight was available using miles and those seats are usually booked early. 

We're still debating whether to book a hotel near the airport (no traffic the net morning!) or closer to central Athens.  Since we've been to Athens several times we're seriously looking at an airport hotel.  Perhaps we'll take a leisurely tour from the boat that ends up at the airport late in the afternoon.  We really don't want to rush or stress after a vacation...      

• Like 2

We would also recommend spending the night in an airport hotel.   You can take your time getting off the ship and who knows how that will look this year.   We like to arrive at the airport two hours before an international flight and have never had our luggage not accompanying us on the plane.

Who needs to worry about catching a flight especially with COVID.