Florida Governor bans vaccine passports

27 minutes ago, farmermd said:

So after 1 year, about 10% of the US population has tested positive for the virus.  Less than .2% of the population has died from the virus.  Based on the information I have read, you still have about a 10% chance of getting the virus after receiving the vaccine and a very small chance of dying from the vaccines.  So the way I see it, the odds are roughly the same whether you get the vaccine or not.  Your claim is the risk is "much lower" if everyone is vaccinated.  Can you show me this data?  So I'm still trying to understand how you feel unsafe in a setting where you are vaccinated and others are not.

I was born and raised a farmer so risk taking is in my blood.  Every spring we put a crop in the ground not knowing whether we will have anything to harvest in the fall.  40%?  Yeah I would probably get on the plane - esp if it was taking me to a cruise ship where masks, distancing and vaccines were not required!

Not exactly true. Thanks to the lock down, the rate is controlled and so there is enough ICU to treat people and increase their chance to survive. If there is no gov policy, the number won't look this low. How many of them recovered fully and how many are still recovering from the virus, there is no stats. If there were no change in policy since Feb, the number will be way worse with the variants. I absolutely have no idea why a first world country is having such a tough time to control the number and to keep the chance to generate a variant of high consequence low. It is just basic high school biology.

47 minutes ago, morechances said:

What can I say, I am bored, and find this entertaining. Is this #17?

I can't say I'm counting....but someone will go down on the 10 count...and....there are so many experts on this thread my head is spinning...the "wheels go round, round, round"...! is anybody winning? 😉

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jmhlin said:

Not exactly true. Thanks to the lock down, the rate is controlled and so there is enough ICU to treat people and increase their chance to survive. If there is no gov policy, the number won't look this low. How many of them recovered fully and how many are still recovering from the virus, there is no stats. If there were no change in policy since Feb, the number will be way worse with the variants. I absolutely have no idea why a first world country is having such a tough time to control the number and to keep the chance to generate a variant of high consequence low. It is just basic high school biology.

Gone beyond biology but more dependent on people and their reaction to how they will deal with the virus.

18 minutes ago, jmhlin said:

Thanks to the lock down, the rate is controlled and so there is enough ICU to treat people and increase their chance to survive. If there is no gov policy, the number won't look this low. 

Lock downs have NOT been proven to control the spread.  Government policy has not been proven to control the spread.  This thread is about Florida's governor and is appropriate to compare Florida, open, to California, closed.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, farmermd said:

Lock downs have NOT been proven to control the spread.  Government policy has not been proven to control the spread.  This thread is about Florida's governor and is appropriate to compare Florida, open, to California, closed.  

That is why your country lost half millions life. Nothing more needs to say. Lmao

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, farmermd said:

And do you know the FL numbers are accurate?

I believe majority of Americans are getting the vaccine because your government are pretty much keeping all the supplies for themselves. Unless u.s. love to stores them in the freezer, I think there is always some people like to complain about a gov policy that work against their will. At the end, it is the rule that you need to follow before you board the ship. Just don't book.

24 minutes ago, jmhlin said:

That is why your country lost half millions life. Nothing more needs to say. Lmao

How preposterous a statement. And then Laughing????? Your statement reeks of hubris.

You do not take into account the distribution or underlying reasons for the tragic deaths. There were countless deaths attributed to Covid which were not the main cause of death because medical facilities and practitioners received extra federal funding if the COD was listed as covid.  Or how about the population of the U.S. compared to the population of your smaller country, which you obviously don't disclose in your profile. 

BTW beginning tomorrow, anyone age 18+ in FL is eligible to be vaccinated.  Hows that working for you in your country?

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

How preposterous a statement. And then Laughing????? Your statement reeks of hubris.

You do not take into account the distribution or underlying reasons for the tragic deaths. There were countless deaths attributed to Covid which were not the main cause of death because medical facilities and practitioners received extra federal funding if the COD was listed as covid.  Or how about the population of the U.S. compared to the population of your smaller country, which you obviously don't disclose in your profile. 

Not deaths as you alluded to, but 78% of people hospitalized for Covid were obese or overweight.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covid-cdc-study-finds-roughly-78percent-of-people-hospitalized-were-overweight-or-obese.html

Edited by farmermd
accused of being mean
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, farmermd said:

Not deaths as you alluded to, but 78% of people hospitalized for Covid were obese or overweight.  Wonder how many of those were cruise ship buffet junkies or how many will take advantage of the free donuts once they get the vaccine.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covid-cdc-study-finds-roughly-78percent-of-people-hospitalized-were-overweight-or-obese.html

edited in interest of fairness, thanks farmer!

Edited by KWW88

7 minutes ago, farmermd said:

Not deaths as you alluded to, but 78% of people hospitalized for Covid were obese or overweight.  Wonder how many of those were cruise ship buffet junkies or how many will take advantage of the free donuts once they get the vaccine.

Meaningless.  Over 70% of US population is classified as overweight or obese.

5 minutes ago, farmermd said:

"Obesity is a complex disease involving an excessive amount of body fat. Obesity isn't just a cosmetic concern. It is a medical problem that increases your risk of other diseases and health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and certain cancers.

There are many reasons why some people have difficulty avoiding obesity. Usually, obesity results from a combination of inherited factors, combined with the environment and personal diet and exercise choices.

Obesity is diagnosed when your body mass index (BMI) is 30 or higher. For most people, BMI provides a reasonable estimate of body fat. However, BMI doesn't directly measure body fat, so some people, such as muscular athletes, may have a BMI in the obesity category even though they don't have excess body fat."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/obesity/symptoms-causes/syc-20375742

Additionally as people age, their metabolism slows and their ability to do more activity diminishes. That's why young people weren't as seriously affected by getting covid. Thus Look in the mirror in 10 years and remember how thin you used to be!  You can't make it so simplistic.

4 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

Communicable diseases are quite different than religion, which is protected under federal civil rights law.  As far as political and social beliefs, there are stories every few weeks about some owner or another making it known that people who do not believe as they do are welcome to take their business elsewhere.  Not illegal unless it is discriminatory under a state or federal public accommodation law.

People can believe all sorts of things that are not true.  Doesn't mean that businesses have to humor them.

Likewise you & others can believe all you want too and business' do not have to honor your wishes. Remember, I vaxed up by choice. But I respect others choices not to be. I decided to protect myself. If you're vaxed, you'll be fine as well. The purpose of the vax is for self protection. That's all you can do. Demanding that everyone around you is vaxed is absolutely wrong. And if the vaccine doesn't protect you, then they'll need to go back to the drawing board and develop a vaccine that does. 

• Like 3

this thread has jumped the rails and to bring it back to the original discussion.  

I am happy to see the governor of Florida bann the use of covid passports.  This is America where we are supposed to have choices.  As I stated a number of weeks ago, I would like to see cruise ships give us choices between wide open cruising with no restrictions concerning vaccines/covid and cruises with all the safety protocols in place and maybe throw in some cruises somewhere in the middle for good measure.  Hopefully more states will follow Florida's move so we have options - New York, New Jersey, California for all the safety protocols in place and requirement of the vaccine passport and then Florida, maybe TN, Arizona, South Carolina where no passport required to have fun.  Similar to what I have done with my retail business for the last year - no mask needed to shop with us but if you don't feel safe with us you have the choice to go 20 minutes north of me for the same products where masks are required.  32% increase in sales last year for us because of this policy and no cases of the virus related to our business!  America is great!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, farmermd said:

I believe it's been proven none of the numbers are accurate so that makes comparing all numbers relevant. 

If you want numbers to see what is different with Coved and without simply look at the number of total monthly deaths in the US.  Compare 2019 to 2020.  Also remember no flu in 2020.  There are accurate numbers.

Nothing changed except Covid.  

25 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

BTW beginning tomorrow, anyone age 18+ in FL is eligible to be vaccinated.  Hows that working for you in your country?

I feel sorry to the people who lost their life as I always said. I am laughing at a small group of the people in your country who kept on using their rights as a excuse to do whatever they want. It is just sad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mom says said:

You are free to hold whatever opinion you wish.  BUT. The fact remains that businesses like airlines  and cruiselines have been doing this for years. They must require proof before boarding that you meet all of the entry requirements of the destination (s) you will  arrive at. This has always included mandatory vaccinations such as yellow fever. Countries all over the world are looking at proof of vaccination as a condition for entry, just as they are now requiring proof of negative PCR tests. Hopefully the North American  countries will do the same. Some people seem to be getting hung up on the word "passport".  It may be electronic, it may be paper. It may be called a passport or it may be called a certificate. It's just proof of vaccination. And IMHO, it should be a requirement for international travel until COVID 19 is far in the rear view mirror.

Your FACTS are wrong. I have flown all over the world w/ many different airlines and as of yet, not one airline has required me to show them identification of any vaccine. 

5 minutes ago, jmhlin said:

I feel sorry to the people who lost their life as I always said. I am laughing at a small group of the people in your country who kept on using their rights as a excuse to do whatever they want. It is just sad.

May I please respectfully ask what country you live in?

13 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

I posted an article citing CDC data concerning covid patients who were obese.  So to keep numbers relevant here is the CDC data showing overall obesity in the US.  No where near the numbers you posted, at least not according to the way I read the CDC data.  About half of what your data suggests.

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/prevalence-maps.html#nonhispanic-white-adults