Opening the Boarders Aussie and NZ

Thecat123

Wonder if Seabourn are going to bring a ship down to NZ and Australia now that there is going to be no quarantine or need the vaccine or anything to travel between NZ and Aussie in a couple of weeks? Have to be Aussie or Kiwi though I think?
I want to finish our cruise which Seabourn cut short last March 😀

7 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

Wonder if Seabourn are going to bring a ship down to NZ and Australia now that there is going to be no quarantine or need the vaccine or anything to travel between NZ and Aussie in a couple of weeks? Have to be Aussie or Kiwi though I think?
I want to finish our cruise which Seabourn cut short last March 😀

I believe the Australians have a cruise ship ban until June 17th.  Also NZ still has a Maritime Border Order banning foreign ships except under special circumstances.  I think cruise ships may still be a wee way off.

I wonder if now that we have a date for opening the boarders those shipping bans might change?
Also I wonder if there would be enough people in NZ and Aussie to make it worthwhile or would they need different countries to fill the ships which would be a problem?

37 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

I wonder if now that we have a date for opening the boarders those shipping bans might change?
Also I wonder if there would be enough people in NZ and Aussie to make it worthwhile or would they need different countries to fill the ships which would be a problem?

We are looking at the 23 night Singapore to Sydney in November this year . we did a 16 day Auckland to Auckland cruise in February 2019 and loved every minute of it . Hopefully by November things would of changed for the better .

15 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I don't know the details but according to the NYT vaccine map Australia & NZ have some of the lowest vaccination rates in the world.

That will probably slow the process.

Dont forget NZ has had no community cases for a few months and I think Aussie is about the same which maybe is the reason we have low vaccination rates  here. At the moment people who work in high risk areas, Boarder control etc as they are likely to get it from people entering NZ with Covid are getting vaccinated so there is no hurry for the general public. I havent heard anyone that I know even asking. Its a non event here for most people unless they want to travel

The only cases of covid we are getting here is people bringing it in from certain countries, 7 the other day, of which all arriving passengers are still put into quarantine at their cost for two weeks of which is getting dropped for NZers and Aussies only in a couple of weeks giving us free travel between the two countries with no quarantine time

Edited by Thecat123

9 hours ago, Thecat123 said:

Dont forget NZ has had no community cases for a few months and I think Aussie is about the same which maybe is the reason we have low vaccination rates  here. At the moment people who work in high risk areas, Boarder control etc as they are likely to get it from people entering NZ with Covid are getting vaccinated so there is no hurry for the general public. I havent heard anyone that I know even asking. Its a non event here for most people unless they want to travel

The only cases of covid we are getting here is people bringing it in from certain countries, 7 the other day, of which all arriving passengers are still put into quarantine at their cost for two weeks of which is getting dropped for NZers and Aussies only in a couple of weeks giving us free travel between the two countries with no quarantine time

Interesting.

Do you think NZ and/or Australia will require vaccines for non citizen entry?

40 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Interesting.

I suspect very strongly that vaccines will be required. Here in West Australia our borders close quickly if any new clusters appear even in the single digits in other States. And I suspect that will be the case with the current cluster in New Zealand.

This is one reason I wish our vaccine rollouts progressed more quickly. I would feel safer and I think our economy, though doing okay, would be better in the long run if the larger population was vaccinated and we could re-open to international travel.

Julie

Edited by frantic36

15 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Interesting.

This might help you understanding what is happening today in NZ

Notice the banning of all flights from India as there are too many bringing the virus into NZ

Also the govt is maybe looking at other countries with a high number of cases being bought in

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/covid-19-update-six-new-cases-in-managed-isolation-none-in-community/ar-BB1fs7GP?ocid=msedgdhp

And just found this

The cases have come from 90 different countries.

But 986 of those cases come from just 10 countries: the United Kingdom (296), India (245), the United States (201), Russia (51), Australia (35), Pakistan (34), Philippines (27), Frances (25), Ireland (24), South Africa (24) and the United Arab Emirates (24).

I would guess that until no one is bring the virus into NZ nothing is going to change re having to go into quarantine etc before entering NZ from these countries  Maybe having the shot things may change for those countries?

Edited by Thecat123

9 hours ago, Thecat123 said:

This might help you understanding what is happening today in NZ

Notice the banning of all flights from India as there are too many bringing the virus into NZ

Also the govt is maybe looking at other countries with a high number of cases being bought in

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/covid-19-update-six-new-cases-in-managed-isolation-none-in-community/ar-BB1fs7GP?ocid=msedgdhp

And just found this

The cases have come from 90 different countries.

But 986 of those cases come from just 10 countries: the United Kingdom (296), India (245), the United States (201), Russia (51), Australia (35), Pakistan (34), Philippines (27), Frances (25), Ireland (24), South Africa (24) and the United Arab Emirates (24).

I would guess that until no one is bring the virus into NZ nothing is going to change re having to go into quarantine etc before entering NZ from these countries  Maybe having the shot things may change for those countries?

Thank you.

That's not real encouraging for the 2022 Australia/NZ cruise season, or the 2023 season for that matter.  With these variants and anti-vaccine sentiment Covid could be with us for a long while, albeit with much lower mortality and hospitalization rates.

Think I'll wait a while on my 2023 plans.

I live in Australia and am 99% sure that the 2021/2022 season of AU-NZ cruises will either get cancelled or be only available to AU and NZ residents. The international border to the rest of the world will simply not open in time.

The Australian government is now openly saying it won’t be able to offer vaccines to everyone this side of Christmas. 

Edited by florisdekort
  • Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 7:20 PM, florisdekort said:

I live in Australia and am 99% sure that the 2021/2022 season of AU-NZ cruises will either get cancelled or be only available to AU and NZ residents. The international border to the rest of the world will simply not open in time.

Just read an article where Qantas was "reactivating" their mothballed 380's in anticipation of international travel restrictions being lifted on October 1. Now, with you being closer to the source ... have you heard anything along those lines?

7 hours ago, bigmjh said:

Just read an article where Qantas was "reactivating" their mothballed 380's in anticipation of international travel restrictions being lifted on October 1. Now, with you being closer to the source ... have you heard anything along those lines?

That’s Qantas big gamble. The government has said the October date is not based on anything they’ve decided / confirmed.  That said, the Prine Minister did announce this past week he’s investigating whether it’s safe to let Australian permanent residents and nationals currently overseas travel to Australia without hotel quarantine if they’ve been fully vaccinated.