Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

Another big fan of hiking sticks here! I'm in my early seventies and still do a great deal of walking, but the truth is that I'm not nearly as sure-footed on rough or slippery terrain as I once was. The sticks are a great help and give me the confidence go where I want to even if the footing looks a bit uncertain. And on smooth paths I can move faster with them than without. Depending on conditions, I sometimes use just one, leaving the other hand free.

I was typing my reply even as TayanaLorna's and SantaFe's posts popped up. Very similar situation! Unlike their poles, though, mine telescope and adjust to the proper length with a locking clip.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mehroswitha said:

Another big fan of hiking sticks here! I'm in my early seventies and still do a great deal of walking, but the truth is that I'm not nearly as sure-footed on rough or slippery terrain as I once was. The sticks are a great help and give me the confidence go where I want to even if the footing looks a bit uncertain. And on smooth paths I can move faster with them than without. Depending on conditions, I sometimes use just one, leaving the other hand free.

I was typing my reply even as TayanaLorna's and SantaFe's posts popped up. Very similar situation! Unlike their poles, though, mine telescope and adjust to the proper length with a locking clip.

We’ve never used them, but we’re in the same age group. Sounds like similar physical condition too. 
Any brand recommendations or are they all pretty similar?

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Not the best.  If I can walk with my husband I don’t need them, but he’s always off with his camera.  But I first bought them 16 years ago when we did a walking trip of the Cotswolds, and here in the Rockies, we always use them.

Clearly made to last those poles from the Cotswolds.

Also, they are good for enforcing social distancing.  (...only joking)

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Really enjoyed watching this.  It really got me in the mood.  And raised a question:  is anyone taking hiking sticks?  All of our excursions are only moderate, so can’t decide.

Nope.  We bought them for the Galapagos and just dragged them around.  When we went to Iceland, we said no way.  They haven't been used in years.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

I always bring hiking poles.  I am a hiker, cross country skier, outdoorsy person from way way back.  Unfortunately at 70 I am less steady on my feet, need a railing for up/down stairs, and must watch my step over rocky, rubble, uneven and cobble paths.  My sticks keep me going.  They are tri-fold, swiftly pop into place if needed and can hang by straps around my wrist when not.

What brand are your poles? I have hiking poles but they don't easily fold.  I have the same issues - some balance issues plus I need a railing for stairs too.

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Not the best.  If I can walk with my husband I don’t need them, but he’s always off with his camera.  But I first bought them 16 years ago when we did a walking trip of the Cotswolds, and here in the Rockies, we always use them.

Same with mine!  And I don't want to hold him back either.  If I am not comfortable going that far to the edge or the rocks are too big, at least I get to see what I missed in his photos.

• Like 1

We are now one step closer to Viking’s Iceland’s Natural Beauty, 26 June sailing. I’m checking in on MVJ using the Guest Information, Comfort Check-In tab. Be aware you will be asked to upload a photo. It’s becoming more and more real each day!! 29 days to go. 🛫🛳‼️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeriGail said:

What brand are your poles? I have hiking poles but they don't easily fold.  I have the same issues - some balance issues plus I need a railing for stairs too.

Mine are "Black Diamond Distance Z" from REI.  Tri-folding and pretty light.  Great for steps without railings, uneven ground and wet ground.  I decided they were necessary when a wet floor caused me to slip and injure one knee!  I was determined not to let it affect the rest of our trip but getting on and off the tour bus after that brought new meaning to the term "hop on, hop off"...

That also came in handy this last year on the community trails here.  Sometimes people walking in groups took up the entire trail so I had to move off to keep at what I felt was a safe distance.  Also, some bicyclists like to speed by the walkers but by extending the arm while using the walking pole they had to stay a little farther away from me.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gramfrog said:

We are on the August 24th also.  Since we've done the Golden Circle (a must do!) twice before, I believe my husband will choose the photography excursion.  We did one in Alaska and it was super informative and helpful.

Was that with Viking?  Their smaller excursions are usually so good that's why I'm interested - they tend to customize a bit for the interests of the group.  I'm also a professional photographer, so for me, having another photographer take me around for a day is pure gold.

50 minutes ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Can someone able to access shore excursion info post the expanded descriptions for the following excursions:

Northern Iceland’s Natural Treasures 

Husavik Geobaths

Vok Baths

Vigur Island

Thanks

All the Shore Ex descriptions are on the main Viking website, just without the prices: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/baltic/icelands-natural-beauty/index.html ...click the port name to see the tours.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Can someone able to access shore excursion info post the expanded descriptions for the following excursions:

Northern Iceland’s Natural Treasures 

Husavik Geobaths

Vok Baths

Vigur Island

Thanks

See comment #733 on page 30- all the excursions are listed.

Edited by EJLobster
correct #

Trekking Poles Review.

The first pair I bought was a Pace Maker ATP Expedition.  I like the hand fitting cork handles and it has two adjustable quick release cam locks to adjust to whatever height you wish.  They came with an ice pick foot, a cane type foot, a snow basket and these multi point flower cluster feet.  Don't know what they are called but they are my favorite.  They don't get stuck between rocks or in mud and are very stable. They have been heavily used for 10 years.  Problem is the part which allows one to tighten the sections to desired height rusted and they are set to a specific length permanently.  In addition, one adjustable setting sometimes slips when weight is put on it which could be dangerous.  I used them locally and carried them on our sailboat through the Caribbean for hiking.  It wasn't until I flew with them that I wanted something different.  They would barely fit in checked baggage diagonally which was a space problem.  

At the same time my husband bought one pole - a Pacemaker Stick Trek-Cam Micro in case he wanted walking assistance.  (He does not need it.). He chose this one because at the top of the hand hold there is a wooden ball that screws off and can become a mono pod for a camera.  These are the ones that break down into 3 parts.  They also came with changeable feet.  I bought a second one because they easily fit into checked luggage and would fit into a carry on.  They have an internal shock cord and you just pull them apart.  One section has an additional adjustment.  I just use a Velcro strap to hold them together when pulled apart.  The hand hold is foam and I don't like it as much as the molded cork.  They have held up very well and are the ones with which I travel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bardstowntraveller said:

I’ve seen these abbreviated descriptions. I am looking for the more in depth descriptions available once you can book

They are the same.  If you see a short description, try tapping/clicking on it to see the full description.  

The different makes and models of hiking poles seem to differ in four main ways.

First, how do they fold down? Some come completely apart into two or three sections. Others have pieces connected by a shock cord for quick assembly. Yet others telescope. Second issue is height adjustment. Some don't adjust at all, others use locking clips, and others unscrew to adjust. And third is the hand grip. Popular materials are cork and foam. My son has a pair with the grips set on an angle, which he loves but I find awkward. Fourth issue is the shaft material--usually aluminum or carbon fiber; the latter is often more expensive.   

Mine are from Black Diamond. They telescope, and height adjustment is done with locking clips. The shafts are carbon fiber and hand grips foam. I'm very pleased with them--but "best" features are different for different people!

Embarkation Musings

(These questions would not apply to the first sailing but would apply to all the subsequent sailings.)

So let's say we get in very early in the morning (6:40am) on embarkation day, along with coincidentally other Viking passengers.  We all get our Covid swabs at KEF.  Let's say we have Viking transfers.  They round us all up, gather all those red tagged pieces of luggage and we're on our way by 8:00am.  Do they take us directly to the ship?  If so we'd arrive no later than 9:00am, just as the passengers on the previous voyage are getting off.  Very few cabins will have been thoroughly cleaned yet. 

They process us through the boarding and Covid testing protocols and now it's 10:00 am.  Now more cabins have been cleaned but not all.  Does Viking now let us get on the ship and if so where?  Have they had time to thoroughly clean that area, let's say the "Living Room" area?  Will there be any food/beverage service available?  How long do we have to wait before we can get to our rooms?  If it's afternoon, will we get lunch?

On my past Viking Oceans trips embarkation has been by cabin category.  If you got to the ship early you could drop off your bags and then toodle around the port till it was your embarkation time.  My assumption (always a dangerous thing) is that cabin category is going to have nothing to do with boarding and that once we check in at the dock we cannot leave the ship.

I'm not complaining here, just trying to figure out how all this is going to work.

We actually don't have Viking transfers and in fact are arriving a day early.  But I am trying to figure out what would be the best time to arrive at the ship, without adding to any chaos with all the early morning flights.

Dress / Fashion Musings

It's dinner time and we have reservations at Manfredi's let's say.  The dress is "resort casual".  It's around 45 F degrees out, but it's the end of July.  Do I wear long pants and wool sweater in navy blue according to the temperature outside (winter)?  Or do I go with turquoise Capri pants, sleeveless tank top with sheer floral overblouse (summer)?  (I only want to pack one of these ensembles.)

• Like 1

Most of the flights arrive early (to make connecting flights to Europe), so perhaps you should plan to board later in the day, after lunch, when things should be quieter.  

Wardrobe: unless you are planning to go outside, perhaps you should be thinking about how you do in the climate-controlled restaurants and theater.  If you find it cold on board, go with the warmer outfit -- and vice versa.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, id4elizabeth said:

Dress / Fashion Musings

It's dinner time and we have reservations at Manfredi's let's say.  The dress is "resort casual".  It's around 45 F degrees out, but it's the end of July.  Do I wear long pants and wool sweater in navy blue according to the temperature outside (winter)?  Or do I go with turquoise Capri pants, sleeveless tank top with sheer floral overblouse (summer)?  (I only want to pack one of these ensembles.)

It’s comfortable on the ship. HOWEVER, do layers.. you may feel the chill from outside as doors slide open and closed (but not in Manfredis. I’d say a tank top with a wool cardigan.