Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

7 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

On the other hand, what would happen if I had registered, given my phone number, got to Iceland and they tried to send to that number to my phone w/o a SIM card?  Or what if I didn’t have a cell phone?

If you have one of the aforementioned apps installed it'll get to you at the speed of light plus some switching time.  You don't need a foreign SIM card.  SIMs are for cellular traffic.  We're talking WFi traffic here.  Two different roads to the same destination.

WiFi text apps go over the internet via WiFi.  There are no fees for these messages.

If you don't have a cell phone, you'd better do some shopping.

Edited by Donaghadee

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

After researching travel insurance options, think we will opt for a little more comprehensive plan. Biggest concern is contracting COVID in Iceland and being quarantined. None of the travel health plans I have found provide coverage for that scenario

See my thoughts above. 

2 hours ago, sleepybobo said:

So, as of today, excursions are posted to which sailing? First 3 or first 6?

Excursions for June 26, July 3 and July 10 on the Sky have been up for a couple of weeks.  Thats it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Check with your carrier on text rates. Verizon only charges $.05 for incoming texts and $.50 for outgoing texts for Iceland

tmobile is free data and texting, calls are 20 cents

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SantaFe1 said:

Perfect!  We have Verizon.

If you have Verizon, you'll get tagged $10 if you take your phone off airplane mode.  Then it's 0.50 a text.  Install Verizon's message+ and save a buck.  If you have a Verizon store nearby, they'll be happy to walk you through it.

1 minute ago, Donaghadee said:

If you have Verizon, you'll get tagged $10 if you take your phone off airplane mode.  Then it's 0.50 a text.  Install Verizon's message+ and save a buck.  If you have a Verizon store nearby, they'll be happy to walk you through it.

OK, I’ve installed both apps, and we have a Verizon store nearby.  I WILL go over there this week!!  Thanks, I’m such neophyte with all this stuff, and my husband isn’t much better.  

2 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

OK, I’ve installed both apps, and we have a Verizon store nearby.  I WILL go over there this week!!  Thanks, I’m such neophyte with all this stuff, and my husband isn’t much better.  

Glad I could help.  Be sure to tell them the exact situation.  Only WiFi available, don't want to pay for cell service, no voice, text only.  You might even get them to set up your email if you ask nicely.

22 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

On the other hand, what would happen if I had registered, given my phone number, got to Iceland and they tried to send to that number to my phone w/o a SIM card?  Or what if I didn’t have a cell phone?

Nothing would happend my friend. Its all the formalities many of us have to go through. Just take it easy 

Here's a tidbit everyone should be aware of:  Ships are giant Faraday cages.  Cell signals and most other radio signals cannot penetrate all that steel.  It renders cellphones mostly useless unless you want to spend all your time outside on the top deck.

1 hour ago, Seaharvest said:

I would prefer my results come by email but all the info says text message which would mean a phone number. I have never used a prepaid data sim card so I will need to look into that and if my i-phone will take one..

If you have an old phone buried in a draw then you may want to use that. as a local phone. This way you still have access to your normal phone and messaging.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Another reason not to change carriers or buy SIM cards, is Iceland May change the testing requirement by the time we get there.  Not expecting it, but who knows.

I saw an article this morning saying Iceland is planning to suspend testing for vaccinated visitors in July, maybe sooner. Hope it's true!

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Verizon also offers a $10.00 Travel Pass. You get unlimited Talk, Text and Data for 24 hours.  The data has a limited amount of high speed before it gets slowed down but unlimited. You have to text a number to activate it on your phone. You might want to ask about it when you go to the Verizon store. We have used it many times. 

5 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

saw an article this morning saying Iceland is planning to suspend testing for vaccinated visitors in July, maybe sooner.

Could you please pass along the link.  Of course our cruise is June 26.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Finally, I read on one of these forums that 45 minute reservations will be required to utilize the spa. Any idea how to book?

One of the UK cruisers answered this question - book at the spa desk.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

All this advice is confusing. Here is the link to Verizon's International: https://www.verizon.com/solutions-and-services/international-travel/

It explains it all. Read the choices and decide what works best for you.

Having listened to all of this back and forth, my plan is simple. We already have TravelPass on all of our phones. My plan is to keep it on DH's phone, in case we need it, and to cancel it on my phone  so that I can receive the texts (no one calls me or texts me, so the odds of me running up a huge phone bill in the few hours the phone is out of airplane mode are slim -- and why pay $10 to receive a dollars worth of texts). Once we get the texts, my phone goes back into airplane mode.

28 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I can receive the texts (no one calls me or texts me, so the odds of me running up a huge phone bill in the few hours the phone is out of airplane mode are slim -- and why pay $10 to receive a dollars worth of texts). Once we get the texts, my phone goes back into airplane mode.

So, I think your plan is the same as mine.  Turn off airplane mode when you get there for up to 24 hours, get the text, then turn airplane mode back on for the week.  It’s a short trip.  We just tell people to communicate by email. 

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

The average temps are in the 50s and it can be windy, which will make it feel colder outside. 

If you are always in warm warm weather, even temps in the 50s may be uncomfortable for you. Keeping warm and dry is essential; if you are cold and wet, you aren't going to have a fun vacation.

Layering is the best way to dress and a warm layer such as polart-tec or wool under your rain gear will help keep you warm (I'm a fan of cashmere because it is light and thin to pack but keeps me really warm; I like down as well but it has to be kept dry to keep me warm).

We live year round in warm to hot weather and tend to dress warmer then others.  Layers and layers for outside including a jacket with a hood in addition to hat and gloves.  On board ship we wear long pants and long sleeved shirts.  Or if i wear a t-shirt 3/4 sleeves, i carry a sweater or fleece on the boat.  The only place on board that was really warm was the pool area with the roof closed and the sun out.  LOL, we haven't yet been on a warm weather cruise.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Excursions for June 26, July 3 and July 10 on the Sky have been up for a couple of weeks.  Thats it.

Thanks.  Hopefully we'll be on the 9th sailing (July 31 - August 7).  Just wondering when I should start checking MVJ like a mad woman.  

3 hours ago, Seaharvest said:

As part of my prep for the cruise I looked into my ATT prepaid plan and how to add Iceland so I could get my text message regarding my Covid test results from the airport. My plan does not offer any international options and my husband's plan does not include Iceland. Have others looked into this and what are they finding.

Just download WhatsApp.  Its free for text messaging.  I think phone calls incur some charge but we never did phone calling.  We used it all over South America through a WiFi connection on or off the ship.  We will be on the ship when we get our Iceland airport test results.