Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

6 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Notice how the temperatures are warming up, too. They look positively toasty for Reykjavik. Who needs Bermuda for fun in the sun when you have Iceland!

Amen!!  I just transferred all but one of the June Bermuda reservations to Iceland’s August 24 Jupiter sailing. It was getting exhausting jumping through moving hoops for everyone. There will be 11 of us onboard!  

• Like 1

Just saw that Lindblad is starting cruising around Iceland starting July 7, with many of the same ports.   Except in Djup*** their excursion takes them to the iceberg lagoon (jealous!).   The cruise is about 4 times the cost however. 

I don't think we're going to have the island to ourselves with all these cruise lines jumping on board.

Still no ShoreX for July 17th sailing!

15 minutes ago, id4elizabeth said:

Just saw that Lindblad is starting cruising around Iceland starting July 7, with many of the same ports.   Except in Djup*** their excursion takes them to the iceberg lagoon (jealous!).   The cruise is about 4 times the cost however. 

I don't think we're going to have the island to ourselves with all these cruise lines jumping on board.

Still no ShoreX for July 17th sailing!

There are also 375,000 Icelanders, give or take. You'll have to share their island with them, too!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Since there have been some additions since SantaFe1 posted this at the beginning of May, I thought that maybe it was time to update. They are in reverse order.

Heimaey

Heimaey shorex 2.JPG

Heimaey shorex 1.JPG

DJUPIVOGUR

Djupi shorex.JPG

SEYDISFJORDUR

Seydis shorex.JPG

AKUREYRI

Akureyri shorex.JPG

ISAFJORDUR

Isafjordur shorex.JPG

REYKJAVIK

Reykjavik Shorex.JPG

We're on the 24th sailing, and I'm torn between the Golden Circle or the Iceland through the Lens.  Anyone have any insight to the photography excursion and where they go on that?

54 minutes ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

We're on the 24th sailing, and I'm torn between the Golden Circle or the Iceland through the Lens.  Anyone have any insight to the photography excursion and where they go on that?

I also wish the Iceland through the Lens had more description. We took a “photography” type tour on our Viking Cuba cruise a couple of years ago and it was great. However, the tour in Cuba specifically identified several spots to be visited. 

1 hour ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

We are on the August 24th also.  Since we've done the Golden Circle (a must do!) twice before, I believe my husband will choose the photography excursion.  We did one in Alaska and it was super informative and helpful.

1 hour ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

The guide(s) may not decide exactly where you will be going until closer to the tour. Between the weather and nesting periods and whatever else, they may not want to promise a certain location and then not be able to get there or find that it will be socked in or whatever else would prevent optimal conditions for photography.

Anyone else seeing a credit from Viking showing up on their credit card? I had a useless conversation with Viking about it. She said it was because I had gotten a shipboard credit posted so this was a refund since the credit was more than I had spent on excursions.  That’s crazy since the credit would have had to been over $1000.  Have a call in to my TA to see if they can shed any light. 

7 minutes ago, EJLobster said:

Highly recommend taking the time to watch this broadcast.  I saw it live yesterday.  The Viking Rep was excellent.  He spoke about each stop and some of the excursions all the while giving bits of info I wasn't aware of and then at the end there  was a Q & A which covered many subjects about the cruise and he was very direct,  informative, encouraging and didn't just give you the non-specific answers that we get sometimes from chatting with online reps.  Particularly appreciated his comments about weather in Summer and what to wear and not wear.  

• Like 3

On 5/25/2021 at 7:51 PM, librarylady19 said:

There are definitely some great opportunities to see more of Iceland than you would on a land trip with this cruise I think (no driving!!). I'm especially excited for the Day 2 shorex to Reykjanes Peninsula (hope to see the volcano) and the Vigur Island and Heimaney boat trips. Hoping to see puffins, and more!!

BTW, if you missed today's Viking TV presentation by the very informative and entertaining geologist Dr. Tony Waltham (who will be onboard also) be sure to catch the recording. 

https://www.viking.tv/tv/this-week-on-viking-tv/tuesdays/see-how-ice-and-snow-shaped-iceland-s-landscapes-with-dr-tony-waltham

Wow, Dr. Waltham's presentation was REALLY good.  I now realize that seeing those waterfalls and geothermal fields is not necessarily what it is all about.  It is about recognizing and understanding what you are seeing whether it is on the drive to the excursions main features or during the sailing into the fjords or along the coast.  I look forward to his presentations on board and also hope he does some live commentary in some areas.  A must watch for inquiring minds.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Travel2Learn said:

Crystal Endeavor begins 10 day cruises round trip Reykjavik on July 17th. 

I checked their itinerary and, other then Reykjavik, they won't be in the same ports as the July 17 Sky sailing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

The guide(s) may not decide exactly where you will be going until closer to the tour. Between the weather and nesting periods and whatever else, they may not want to promise a certain location and then not be able to get there or find that it will be socked in or whatever else would prevent optimal conditions for photography.

We have interest in the photography one also.  I agree with Peregrina that it will be day, light and weather specific.  It may be a phenominal opportunity to take a smaller excursion to off the beaten track locations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EJLobster said:

Yesterday, Viking TV 's broadcast was about Iceland

Really enjoyed watching this.  It really got me in the mood.  And raised a question:  is anyone taking hiking sticks?  All of our excursions are only moderate, so can’t decide.

7 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Really enjoyed watching this.  It really got me in the mood.  And raised a question:  is anyone taking hiking sticks?  All of our excursions are only moderate, so can’t decide.

Don't own them.  Never used them before.  One more thing to have to carry.  One more thing to have to pack.  One more thing to have to juggle with my camera.  My scale is definitely tipping to no. 

Not the best.  If I can walk with my husband I don’t need them, but he’s always off with his camera.  But I first bought them 16 years ago when we did a walking trip of the Cotswolds, and here in the Rockies, we always use them.

51 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I always bring hiking poles.  I am a hiker, cross country skier, outdoorsy person from way way back.  Unfortunately at 70 I am less steady on my feet, need a railing for up/down stairs, and must watch my step over rocky, rubble, uneven and cobble paths.  My sticks keep me going.  They are tri-fold, swiftly pop into place if needed and can hang by straps around my wrist when not.

• Like 2

That’s me to a tee!  Yes, mine fold, and I just loop them over my arms when I want to take a picture.  Still, I didn’t use them for 128 days, but I was two years younger then!!

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 1