I think we're gonna cancel our cruise...

luckybecky

7 hours ago, teacherman said:

Hawaii is "close" to opening up to tourists who have been vaccinated without requiring them to quarantine on arrival.  IF this happens and NCL requires vaccination to cruise, then I don't see what the problem is in getting off the ship on your own.  Too many unknowns as of today.  I personally have cancelled all my trips and will not make any non-refundable plans until things are more certain.

This is a bit misleading. It's true that Hawaii is considering a vaccination passport but entry with a negative covid test will still be an option under that plan. Visitors completing the safe travels procedure that has been in place since October 15, 2020 can avoid vaccination and quarantine. Even with that, each island has it's own entry requirements that continue to change. Just yesterday, the mayor of Maui instituted a new rule that even with the 72 hour safe travels negative test, visitors must also retest upon arrival in Maui or face mandatory quarantine. Kauai just abandoned it's resort bubble quarantine concept a few weeks ago and number are rising. I've been in Hawaii since early January and can say with absolute certainty that the climate here is not to open to tourists anytime soon. There continue to be anti-tourist protests and residents are very concerned that their limited medical facilities will be overrun. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the OP's July cruise will be cancelled. I also believe that Hawaii will be the very last cruise port in the nation to reopen. Time will tell of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I've been in Hawaii since early January and can say with absolute certainty that the climate here is not to open to tourists anytime soon. There continue to be anti-tourist protests and residents are very concerned that their limited medical facilities will be overrun. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the OP's July cruise will be cancelled. I also believe that Hawaii will be the very last cruise port in the nation to reopen. Time will tell of course. 

Having lived on the Big Island I can agree that the  limited medical facilities is exactly the concern. Not many people know that except on Oahu, facilities and services are limited.  Many residents of the other Islands fly to Oahu for treatment for all kinds of illnesses. I can also picture the protests. Probably some of my former neighbors are involved.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments, particularly from those who have done this cruise before. It sounds like we are making the right decision. 

BermudaBound, your comments were very interesting. Of course the NCL rep last night assured me that our cruise isn't going to be cancelled, but we all know that may not be true. We are considering cancelling the cruise and just doing Hawaii on our own, renting a car and an air BnB, spending 3-4 days each on Maui, Kauai, and Hawaii. But it sounds as if we may not be welcome. Hmm. 

We have until May 17 before our final payment is due, so we may wait to see what happens between now and then. But I really don't think we will be doing this cruise. 😞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luckybecky said:

Thanks for all the comments, particularly from those who have done this cruise before. It sounds like we are making the right decision. 

BermudaBound, your comments were very interesting. Of course the NCL rep last night assured me that our cruise isn't going to be cancelled, but we all know that may not be true. We are considering cancelling the cruise and just doing Hawaii on our own, renting a car and an air BnB, spending 3-4 days each on Maui, Kauai, and Hawaii. But it sounds as if we may not be welcome. Hmm. 

We have until May 17 before our final payment is due, so we may wait to see what happens between now and then. But I really don't think we will be doing this cruise. 😞

Moving between islands right now is a huge pain. Inner island travel is not open. I’m on Maui, I can go from Maui to Oahu without a 72 covid test from A government approved facility (that is key and not as easy as it sounds on the surface) however to return to Maui from Oahu I would need to conform to all the “safe travels” requirements including testing and download the tracking app. You are not free to just travel between the islands yet.

Of course, things can change, but the most recent changes here have been more restricted travel, not less. Don’t get me wrong, Hawaii is gorgeous, but please do lots of research before planning a trip here. Each island has different requirements for entry. If you are willing to go through all the proper steps it may be worth it, but I highly recommend giving up the idea of 3 days on each island. Pick one island and explore it completely- otherwise you may spend most of your time getting covid tested and standing in line at covid checkpoints. Check out the Hawaii government site for detailed requirements. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would tell you that if you are gong to cancel, wait until May 16th to do it. That gives NCL the opportunity to cancel on you, which is a very real possibility. Having canceled my own cruise in March 2020 I immediately regretted it when the very next day NCL suspended the entire voyage and offered these people perks. None of which we were offered because we canceled on them. Also, they did not offer a refund, only 100% value in future cruise credit, minus travel insurance. My other advice, never take cruise credit. Always get the refund. But at the time that was not a choice for us. Hindsight.....sigh.

Edited by Glitterbutton
Left out a word.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Moving between islands right now is a huge pain. Inner island travel is not open. I’m on Maui, I can go from Maui to Oahu without a 72 covid test from A government approved facility (that is key and not as easy as it sounds on the surface) however to return to Maui from Oahu I would need to conform to all the “safe travels” requirements including testing and download the tracking app. You are not free to just travel between the islands yet.

Of course, things can change, but the most recent changes here have been more restricted travel, not less. Don’t get me wrong, Hawaii is gorgeous, but please do lots of research before planning a trip here. Each island has different requirements for entry. If you are willing to go through all the proper steps it may be worth it, but I highly recommend giving up the idea of 3 days on each island. Pick one island and explore it completely- otherwise you may spend most of your time getting covid tested and standing in line at covid checkpoints. Check out the Hawaii government site for detailed requirements. 

Thank you again for the excellent information. This is stuff we needed to know. I was aware that Hawaii had been requiring testing for entry to the state, but did not understand the difficulties travelling between islands. And we don't want to be part of the problem. We are willing to comply with whatever requirements are in place. We are just SOOO ready to travel again. We just want to GO. 

2 hours ago, Glitterbutton said:

I would tell you that if you are gong to cancel, wait until May 16th to do it. That gives NCL the opportunity to cancel on you, which is a very real possibility. Having canceled my own cruise in March 2020 I immediately regretted it when the very next day NCL suspended the entire voyage and offered these people perks. None of which we were offered because we canceled on them. Also, they did not offer a refund, only 100% value in future cruise credit, minus travel insurance. My other advice, never take cruise credit. Always get the refund. But at the time that was not a choice for us. Hindsight.....sigh.

Thank you for this, Glitterbutton. I think we are going to follow your advice -- wait until the last minute to cancel. But with what we know now, I think we ultimately WILL have to cancel. I hope that NCL will cancel us, rather than the other way around. We already have a cruise credit with RCL and don't want to tie up any more money in cancelled cruises/future cruise credits. Fortunately, we only have $500 committed to this cruise ($250 deposit on 2 cabins). We definitely are not going to be putting more money into it.

Like all of you, I am so ready for all of this to be over. We want to be safe -- we wear our masks, limit social contact, got our vaccines -- but it has been a long haul, as you all know. (NOT trying to start a thread about covid.) Thanks to all for the good advice. Looking forward to the day when we can all share a tropical drink on board. 🍹🚢

• Like 3

I just chatted with an agent on NCL.com regarding my sailing on POA in September. He said at this time there are no requirements for NCL excursion to debark in Hawaii. I specifically asked about September so don’t know if same for July. 

• Thanks 1

Requiring NCL excursions only could indeed be NCL self serving.  I certainly wouldn't put it past them.  

But I think these ports all realize that the vaccination requirement is a joke.  It is impossible to verify and likely never will be possible to verify.  So, I think it's also very plausible that the ports could be placing these requirements on the cruise lines.  I also suspect we might never know in some cases.

13 hours ago, luckybecky said:

Thank you again for the excellent information. This is stuff we needed to know. I was aware that Hawaii had been requiring testing for entry to the state, but did not understand the difficulties travelling between islands. And we don't want to be part of the problem. We are willing to comply with whatever requirements are in place. We are just SOOO ready to travel again. We just want to GO. 

So, interestingly, Gov Ing was on the news last night saying that they are hoping to launch inner island vaccine passports this summer. Of course, this is the same governor who said in a press conference last week that Hawaii does not have a comprehensive record of who has been vaccinated or who hasn't. Seriously! I actually quoted him verbatim in another thread because I was floored. Time will tell, but Hawaii really is on island time so I'm doubtful of a summer program being in effect, but since you are all vaccinated this could be great news if it actually comes to fruition.

If you live close to a hawaii approved testing center, then getting here isn't all that challenging. Get tested, upload to site, answer some questions, download a tracking app, get an approved QR code for entry, get a second test upon landing, wait in line for final approval. The lines at Kahalui have been 2-3 hours long which is one of the reasons I recommend not planning to island hop. And they have been this long without the second testing requirement that goes into effect next week so that will likely be quite the cluster.

The other thing to consider is where you live in reference to a Hawaii approved testing site. Your doctor won't count. The local health department won't count. It's really quite strange. Example, a rapid test from CVS does not count but a rapid test from Walgreens does. When I left in January, only 4 walgreens in the entire state of Michigan were approved for Hawaii testing. There were people driving 5-6 hours one way to get to an approved testing site for their state. If you live in a metro area, this shouldn't be an issue, but rural people have challenges.

If you have reasonable easy access to a Hawaii approved testing site and are willing to go through Hawaii customs (what I call the entry lines) then I would say it's totally worth coming here, but I do recommend only one island to avoid excessive line waiting and coordinating testing. I've been on Maui for close to 4 months and I'm not at all bored. There is MUCH to do on each island so no real need for inner island traveling imo.

A few other things to note, masks are required everywhere. Walking to your spot on the beach requires a mask (and there are police on segways at popular beaches enforcing with a $5,000.00 ticket). Once you are seated if you are six feet away you may remove mask. There are some work arounds, but people will absolutely challenge your family if you are not all wearing a mask in public. The other thing is that, at this time, restaurants and stores are at 30% capacity. This wasn't a problem until a few weeks ago when the island became crowded again over spring break/Easter. Eating at the popular restaurants will absolutely require reservations months in advance until the 30% is lifted. Small inconveniences to pay to visit paradise, but if this is a once in a lifetime trip for your family, you may be better off waiting until covid settles down. The final thing I will say (not trying to be a debbie downer, but I wouldn't want you coming here and being shocked) is that there appears to be small group that wants to ban folks from states without a mask requirement (including texas). This obviously won't go anywhere due to constitutional protection, but the stigma of coming from states that are more open is something to consider.  I'm from Michigan and even though we still have mask mandates, we have the highest numbers right now and I think some local residents are initially afraid of me. It's all very strange.

As far as cruising goes, considering there is backlash from residents about 'regular tourists" I can not imagine the outcry if Hawaii opens back up to cruise ships. I would expect protests at the docks at the very least (there have currently been organized protests at the airport and beaches here on Maui).

Anyway, if you are willing to do a bit of leg work to get here, and follow the covid rules once you are here (which it totally sounds like you are willing to do), then I see no reason not to plan a trip to Hawaii (just maybe forgo island hopping at this time). It sounds like you are the type of traveler that Hawaii benefits from. It really is magnificent here.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

So, interestingly, Gov Ing was on the news last night saying that they are hoping to launch inner island vaccine passports this summer. Of course, this is the same governor who said in a press conference last week that Hawaii does not have a comprehensive record of who has been vaccinated or who hasn't. Seriously! I actually quoted him verbatim in another thread because I was floored. Time will tell, but Hawaii really is on island time so I'm doubtful of a summer program being in effect, but since you are all vaccinated this could be great news if it actually comes to fruition.

If you live close to a hawaii approved testing center, then getting here isn't all that challenging. Get tested, upload to site, answer some questions, download a tracking app, get an approved QR code for entry, get a second test upon landing, wait in line for final approval. The lines at Kahalui have been 2-3 hours long which is one of the reasons I recommend not planning to island hop. And they have been this long without the second testing requirement that goes into effect next week so that will likely be quite the cluster.

The other thing to consider is where you live in reference to a Hawaii approved testing site. Your doctor won't count. The local health department won't count. It's really quite strange. Example, a rapid test from CVS does not count but a rapid test from Walgreens does. When I left in January, only 4 walgreens in the entire state of Michigan were approved for Hawaii testing. There were people driving 5-6 hours one way to get to an approved testing site for their state. If you live in a metro area, this shouldn't be an issue, but rural people have challenges.

If you have reasonable easy access to a Hawaii approved testing site and are willing to go through Hawaii customs (what I call the entry lines) then I would say it's totally worth coming here, but I do recommend only one island to avoid excessive line waiting and coordinating testing. I've been on Maui for close to 4 months and I'm not at all bored. There is MUCH to do on each island so no real need for inner island traveling imo.

A few other things to note, masks are required everywhere. Walking to your spot on the beach requires a mask (and there are police on segways at popular beaches enforcing with a $5,000.00 ticket). Once you are seated if you are six feet away you may remove mask. There are some work arounds, but people will absolutely challenge your family if you are not all wearing a mask in public. The other thing is that, at this time, restaurants and stores are at 30% capacity. This wasn't a problem until a few weeks ago when the island became crowded again over spring break/Easter. Eating at the popular restaurants will absolutely require reservations months in advance until the 30% is lifted. Small inconveniences to pay to visit paradise, but if this is a once in a lifetime trip for your family, you may be better off waiting until covid settles down. The final thing I will say (not trying to be a debbie downer, but I wouldn't want you coming here and being shocked) is that there appears to be small group that wants to ban folks from states without a mask requirement (including texas). This obviously won't go anywhere due to constitutional protection, but the stigma of coming from states that are more open is something to consider.  I'm from Michigan and even though we still have mask mandates, we have the highest numbers right now and I think some local residents are initially afraid of me. It's all very strange.

As far as cruising goes, considering there is backlash from residents about 'regular tourists" I can not imagine the outcry if Hawaii opens back up to cruise ships. I would expect protests at the docks at the very least (there have currently been organized protests at the airport and beaches here on Maui).

Anyway, if you are willing to do a bit of leg work to get here, and follow the covid rules once you are here (which it totally sounds like you are willing to do), then I see no reason not to plan a trip to Hawaii (just maybe forgo island hopping at this time). It sounds like you are the type of traveler that Hawaii benefits from. It really is magnificent here.

All I can say is WoW!   DAMN!   Not for me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, roger001 said:

All I can say is WoW!   DAMN!   Not for me.

We are definitely living in very strange times. If I wasn't staying for four months I would have given the plan serious pause. Once here, January and February were spectacular (very few tourists). But tings have really heated up in March and the new additional testing upon landing doesn't even go into effect until next week. So, at this time, Maui is moving toward more restrictions to enter, not less. This is why I'm so pessimistic about Hawaiian sailings taking place anytime soon.

There's a certain irony about this situation. Mexico has been largely open for tourism pretty much since the beginning of the pandemic, and certainly last summer when we visited. But in HI, a US state, it seems to be the equivalent of "Yankee go home." All I can say is that when it comes to tourism, Mexico is making bank, while Hawaii is screwing the pooch. Very sad indeed. 😞

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I think I read somewhere that there is a 10-day quarantine requirement when arriving from the U.S. mainland, even if your vaccinated? Is this true?

9 hours ago, philv said:

I just chatted with an agent on NCL.com regarding my sailing on POA in September. He said at this time there are no requirements for NCL excursion to debark in Hawaii. I specifically asked about September so don’t know if same for July. 

Sure hope this is true as we have a cruise booked on the POA at the end of September.  As this is our second time on this cruise, we want to be able to explore freely in port.  We plan to fly into Honolulu a few days before our cruise and explore on our own there, so it seems a bit silly to be limited to NCL's shore excursions thereafter.  Also, how about ship excursions like "Lahaina on your own" where you're free to wander? Kind of breaks the bubble.

1 hour ago, NikiPinkston said:

Sure hope this is true as we have a cruise booked on the POA at the end of September.  As this is our second time on this cruise, we want to be able to explore freely in port.  We plan to fly into Honolulu a few days before our cruise and explore on our own there, so it seems a bit silly to be limited to NCL's shore excursions thereafter.  Also, how about ship excursions like "Lahaina on your own" where you're free to wander? Kind of breaks the bubble.

My understanding is that the NCL shore excursion requirement is in place for July and August -- for now. They are going to conduct cruises for those first several weeks, see how it goes, and then make decisions on the subject going forward. They may, or may not, continue that requirement. For now, it is not mandated past August as far as I know.

We also were planning to fly in a few days early, like you. We were expecting an epic vacation.  Not going to happen now. Very disappointing as this was to be my 60th birthday celebration. 

BTW, I received an email from NCL yesterday : "a message from our President and CEO..." excitedly announcing a return to cruising...  "to your favorite destinations in the Caribbean or Europe on select itineraries."  Hawaii is not in the Caribbean or Europe. So not sure what to make of that.  They certainly aren't saying they are opening up ALL itineraries -- only "select" ones, and Hawaii isn't on the list. 

Edited by luckybecky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, farmersfight said:

I think I read somewhere that there is a 10-day quarantine requirement when arriving from the U.S. mainland, even if your vaccinated? Is this true?

Yes, true, but slightly more complicated. If you came here vaccinated but without a 72 hour negative test before departing the mainland (and you pass a second test upon arrival) you do not quarantine. But, If you arrive here without the 72 hour test negative test uploaded to the safe travels site (and from a government approved testing center) or you fail to pass a test upon arrival,  you quarantine for 10 Days.

In other words, a vaccination means nothing yet, you must follow the safe travels application instructions and test negative before leaving the Mainland and again negative upon arrival to avoid quarantine.

Ps- there is also a huge fine if you come here without a negative test and don’t have pre-arranged government approved quarantine location. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

masks are required everywhere. Walking to your spot on the beach requires a mask (and there are police on segways at popular beaches enforcing with a $5,000.00 ticket). Once you are seated if you are six feet away you may remove mask. There are some work arounds, but people will absolutely challenge your family if you are not all wearing a mask in public.

This is the opposite of my experience on Oahu for months. I walk to the main tourist beach as one of the few masked people and rarely see enforcers and never any in action. Not wanting to leave my gaiter on the beach to be swiped so that I can't legally walk home, I get it wet in the water and then nearly die of asphyxiation when refitting the wet clogged thing to my face on return.

I will admit my stretch of beach has weird conflicting jurisdiction issues, sort of like a nearby marina where you can't call the police but apparently only some rarely available kind of marine police. Hawaii is full of rules, but very unevenly applied.

Edited by dumbth

40 minutes ago, dumbth said:

This is the opposite of my experience on Oahu for months. I walk to the main tourist beach as one of the few masked people and rarely see enforcers and never any in action. Not wanting to leave my gaiter on the beach to be swiped so that I can't legally walk home, I get it wet in the water and then nearly die of asphyxiation when refitting the wet clogged thing to my face on return.

I will admit my stretch of beach has weird conflicting jurisdiction issues, sort of like a nearby marina where you can't call the police but apparently only some rarely available kind of marine police. Hawaii is full of rules, but very unevenly applied.

The rule In Maui is exactly what I described, but there could be different rules for Oahu. This is what makes things a bit confusing for tourists. Here is the language from Maui- 

Face coverings must be worn while walking to and from a pool or beach area, and may only be removed once the person is stationary or adequately separated from non-household members.”

https://mauinow.com/2021/01/15/new-maui-rules-include-restricting-max-capacity-at-all-retail-businesses-to-30-percent/

with that said, I’m at Napili, Kapalua, and Fleming beach almost daily and have only seen police giving tickets twice. Of course, this area is at the far end of the island, not nearly as busy Kehei or Ka’anapili. The heaviest police presence for mask violation that I have seen is front street in Lahaina (which is the center for tourism on the west side).  

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Yes, true, but slightly more complicated. If you came here vaccinated but without a 72 hour negative test before departing the mainland (and you pass a second test upon arrival) you do not quarantine. But, If you arrive here without the 72 hour test negative test uploaded to the safe travels site (and from a government approved testing center) or you fail to pass a test upon arrival,  you quarantine for 10 Days.

In other words, a vaccination means nothing yet, you must follow the safe travels application instructions and test negative before leaving the Mainland and again negative upon arrival to avoid quarantine.

Ps- there is also a huge fine if you come here without a negative test and don’t have pre-arranged government approved quarantine location. 

O.k., thank you. I'm fully vaccinated and would most likely opt for getting a 72 hour negative test before departing the mainland. Sounds like right now, testing is the key, vaccinated or not. But I think I also read that these requirements are subject to change wrt vaccinated people traveling to Hawaii.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

O.k., thank you. I'm fully vaccinated and would most likely opt for getting a 72 hour negative test before departing the mainland. Sounds like right now, testing is the key, vaccinated or not. But I think I also read that these requirements are subject to change wrt vaccinated people traveling to Hawaii.

This is true. The requirements can change. I mentioned in one of these thread that the governor was on the news talking about making a vaccine passport for inner island travel- which could be expanded to trans pacific travel eventually, however he also said that Hawaii has no actual record of who has been vaccinated (lol.. I seriously can’t make this stuff up). Anyway, most residents were quick to remind us that Hawaii works on island time and to not expect anything soon. I would be surprised if this is in place by your October trip but anything is possible. Plan to test in MI within 72 hours of arrival at a minimum and you should be fine (if your cruise goes). If they haven’t added more Hawaii approved locations in Michigan (I haven’t checked on a few weeks)  your closest place will be Grand Rapids so not too bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This is true. The requirements can change. I mentioned in one of these thread that the governor was on the news talking about making a vaccine passport for inner island travel- which could be expanded to trans pacific travel eventually, however he also said that Hawaii has no actual record of who has been vaccinated (lol.. I seriously can’t make this stuff up). Anyway, most residents were quick to remind us that Hawaii works on island time and to not expect anything soon. I would be surprised if this is in place by your October trip but anything is possible. Plan to test in MI within 72 hours of arrival at a minimum and you should be fine (if your cruise goes). If they haven’t added more Hawaii approved locations in Michigan (I haven’t checked on a few weeks)  your closest place will be Grand Rapids so not too bad. 

Thanks. From reading your posts about Hawaii, I'm not as confident as I was once about the PoA sailing by Oct. When I first booked, my thought process was that the PoA had a good chance of restarting by Oct because she never leaves U.S./Hawaiian waters (no foreign port closures to deal with like Canada). But it sounds like Hawaii is being very careful on reopening and then there's the local political pressure (as you mentioned). Oh well, if it gets cancelled it gets cancelled. I'll get a full refund back to my CC. Not interested in FCC with NCL. However, it it does get cancelled, I may have to book a replacement cruise, lol. RCI out of Nassau, Bahamas might be an option...

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, luckybecky said:

My understanding is that the NCL shore excursion requirement is in place for July and August -- for now. They are going to conduct cruises for those first several weeks, see how it goes, and then make decisions on the subject going forward. They may, or may not, continue that requirement. For now, it is not mandated past August as far as I know.

We also were planning to fly in a few days early, like you. We were expecting an epic vacation.  Not going to happen now. Very disappointing as this was to be my 60th birthday celebration. 

BTW, I received an email from NCL yesterday : "a message from our President and CEO..." excitedly announcing a return to cruising...  "to your favorite destinations in the Caribbean or Europe on select itineraries."  Hawaii is not in the Caribbean or Europe. So not sure what to make of that.  They certainly aren't saying they are opening up ALL itineraries -- only "select" ones, and Hawaii isn't on the list. 

I feel your pain!  We had wanted to do this POA cruise for our 40th anniversary last year & we were originally booked for March, 2020.  We're now on our 4th reschedule, fingers crossed we'll make it.  Whenever you do get to do this cruise, I promise you will love it!