Delayed luggage in Europe for Med Cruise....

bigeyeparrot

As mentioned in previous thread DH and I are making our own air arrangements from Boston to Venice via CDG/Air France. We'll be arriving into Venice 2 days before the cruise but what if on the off chance our luggage is delayed extendly and doesn't get to Venice before our ship departs? Then what? We do have travel insurance to cover incidental cost of replacement items but will the travel insurance company or airline or Royal Caribbean be able to arrange for my luggage to be delivered to the next port of stop? Or will I just have to cross my finger that the luggage will find its way home to me somehow? :confused: Anyone has experience with this? Thanks in advance!

Why stress out about something that may not happen.

Your luggage will probably arrive with you but the airline should have it sent to your next stop. Put your itinerary in an outside pocket of your suitcase.

Chances are you won't have any problems. I would take a change of clothing with you on your carry on just as a precaustionary measure. I have made many trips to Europe over the years and only once did I have a luggage issue. Yes it was at CDG and I had a tight schedule. There were three of us with 5 pieces of luggage and only 2 showed up in Munich. Within seven hours all of our luggage was delivered to our hotel. With your precruise stay of two days in Barcelona I don't think you will have any problem this is a smart move on your part. Just take the cautionary measures. Tim and Cathy

I guess I do worry too much sometimes. It's just that I rather plan for all the worse case scenario and knowing what to do then to fret about it when it happens. :D I have 3 more months to go before the cruise so I really need to take it easy now or I'll be crazy by the time May comes around.

Should the baggage not arrive with you, it is the airline's responsibility to get it to you.

Should it not appear, you will need to fill out a claim form in Baggage Claim. Be sure to have a copy of your ship's itinerary with you.

We cruised the Mediterranean last Fall and a few people had problems with luggage. By going in a couple of days early as you are in the event that your luggage is delayed that will provide additional time to get it to you. Let me offer one more suggestion to you something that we started doing a few cruises ago. Assuming you take multiple luggage rather than you puitting all your items in one piece and your husband in another piece I would recommend spreading each of your items amongst multiple bags. That way if a piece of luggage is lost or delayed you will each at least have a good amount of your clothing.

Have a wonderful time.

Keith

Another thing-the Med would not be the worst place to have delayed luggage. A port almost every day, lots of places for your luggage to catch up to you. Imagine a transatlantic crossing or a cruise TO Hawaii, not around Hawaii. Really no place for your luggage to catch up to you for 5-6 days.

Make SURE a copy of your itinerary and cruiseline and port agent phone numbers are in your suitcases. The airlines generally do a pretty good job of reuniting passengers with their luggage, so do not worry. One more thing to cross off your list.

a couple of years ago when we arrived in Barcelona via Air France from London/US - but our luggage didn't. We boarded the ship, and Air France as does all other airlines, has apparently the schedule of all cruise ships, delivered our suitcases the next day to the port where the ship arrived. It definitely was inconvenient not to have our clothes for the first 24 hours...but RCCL was great...gave us a couple of t-shirts and about $50 in vouchers to have laundry done on the ship. They didn't have any obligation because we didn't book the air through them...so we give them a thumbs up for that. You can mitigate your concern somewhat by cross-packing with your travel companion so that if only 1 suitcase makes it, you'll both have some clothes or at least carry a change of undies in your carry-on. Don't worry...probably your luggage will arrive just fine!

We'll be cruising with RCCl in May so good to know that they do take care of their cruise customers in situations like that. DH and I will definitely have at least a change of clothing with us in our carry-ons and will leave a copy of the cruise itinerary in the outside pocket of our suitcase.

Archived