Noordam, $8,250 per day

JimandStan

Yes, that is what Hal will be paying for every day that Noordam is docked at the NYC passenger Ship Terminal.

(Ten cents per gross registered ton, per day)

That does not include electricity or garbage collection.

What do you think of that?

$8,000 per day.

Not much at all!!!!

But I suspect that fee is just 'wharfage'.... the cost of using the dock space.

Add to that:

Port Agent's

Inward & outward pilotage fees

Light Dues

Tugs

Water

Line gangs

stevedores & baggage handling

Garbage collection

bunkerings

Security

embarkation/check in personnel

and as upwards of 10,000 visitors are expected to be aboard each day for tours.... and the 1,900 staying aboard overnight x 2

Meals... say 5,000 each day

complementary drinks

free handouts

etc etc.

My guess is that the cost each day for NOORDAM on this visit will probably run to $60,000 to $80,000 at least!!!!!!!!!!!! (probably more)

Thank you HAL!!!

Stephen

Captain Card-

The P&O people (they run the facility) define it this way:

Dockage is a charge assessed against a vessel for berthing at a wharf, pier, bulkhead or bank.

Wharfage is a charge for use of the wharves, pier or bulkheads by all passengers or vessel personnel passing or conveyed over wharf. Wharfage is solely the charge for use of the wharves and does not include charges for any other service. Wharfage charge does not include insurance of any kind.

Passenger Vessel is a seagoing vessel other than one in Military or Naval Service engaged primarily in carrying passengers.

Passenger at NYCPST is any person carried on a vessel who is not connected with the operation or such vessel, her navigation, ownership or business.

In Transit Passenger is a passenger on a continuous voyage of a vessel making the Port of New York, a port of call.

Brace yourselves, all this means that the charges are even worse than we thought....

RATES AND TERMS OF PAYMENT

Dockage Charges: Passenger vessels: $0.10 per gross registered ton (GRT) of the vessel per 24-hour period.

All billing will be based on twenty-four (24) hour period or fraction thereof. The period of time for which dockage charges shall be assessed against a vessel shall commence when such vessel is made fast to the pier or dock and continue until such vessel has vacated the berth.

~PLUS~

Wharfage Rates: $15.64 per passenger each way for a homeport and once for each in-transit port-of-call.

Let's see, Dockage Charge, $8,250.00, plus wharfage charges for 1918 passengers (she is sold out), works out to be $29,997.50. They assess this last charge EACH WAY because she is homeported in NY. So the grand total is $68,245.00

And all this before she leaves the dock! It boggles ones mind!

True. But an expense we all share in paying.

That's why cruises out of ports like New York cost a whole lot more.

Check out the prices versus Florida ports. Often even after figuring in the cost of airfare (coach class), it will be far cheaper to fly to Florida and catch your cruise from there.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Captain Card-

So the grand total is $68,245.00

And all this before she leaves the dock! It boggles ones mind!

Hmmm... that total is BEFORE you add on all the extras!

Back in the 80's the average charge for a mid size passenger ship calling at Bermuda was around $30,000. That didn't include the Passenger Head Tax which for 1,000 passengers was $60,000!

NOORDAM's one day call at Bermuda in April will likely cost around $150,000.

Cruising ain't cheap... for the owners!

Stephen

Dockage Charges:Let's see, Dockage Charge, $8,250.00, plus wharfage charges for 1918 passengers (she is sold out), works out to be $29,997.50. They assess this last charge EACH WAY because she is homeported in NY. So the grand total is $68,245.00

Ah! That sounds more like it.

When I first sailed from Vancouver the ship waited for some passengers who had been delayed. We did leave the dock on time, however! The ship pushed away, backed up into the harbor, and sat there for well over an hour until the tardy passengers arrived.

They were brought out on a small boat and used the tender dock to board (with all their luggage!).

IIRC I was told at the time that had the ship stayed at the dock it was going to cost something like $80,000.

I'm not paying the bills, but that sounds reasonable to me.

Oh, but you are. If you're cruising on a damship anytime soon, you are. :)

Unlike on a Panama Canal transit, where the fee is paid for from the fare charged to the passengers on that particular cruise, there are not any fares for those days and nights from which to deduct the charges. So, it's part of the lines administrative overhead expense, which is paid for by the revenue generated by the rest of the fleet. HAL isn't about to absorb that expense on it's own ... so, it raises the price of cruise fares and other expenses to cover it.

I imagine these non-revenue weeks between the hand-over of the Noordam and her first cruise are all covered in their accounting relative to the delivery of the ship ... staff salaries and support, hospitality for guests, etc., and all ceremonies, port fees, fuel bills, etc. ... they must all be factored into the equation and covered well ahead of time in the ship's bottom line. Operating a fleet of ships is a BIG business, and bringing a new ship on-line, and doing it RIGHT, is not a shoe-string operation. It costs plenty of pretty pennies.

HAL isn't about to absorb that expense on it's own ... so, it raises the price of cruise fares and other expenses to cover it.

Sounds like a whole lotta thank you notes I'm gonna have to write for this Friday night's dinner. :eek:

Like most people, I sigh and shudder when I see cruise costs go up. But then I have to realistically look at what has fed these increases. Just imagine all the vendors involved in making a cruise ship go. Every day we see in our own affairs the rising costs of people, fuel and supplies. Even if each ship vendor billed HAL a modest increase, think of the cumulative affect on the financials. Wow! I guess it's really a testament to effective cost management that we can cruise for the price we do.

Sounds like a whole lotta thank you notes I'm gonna have to write for this Friday night's dinner. :eek:

It is soo funny you said that, Ruth.

My girlfriend and I were in Boston Saturday and when walking from Copley Place across the overhead passover to Prudential and Saks, we passed Crane's Stationery store. I stopped in to buy some new note cards. :)

Archived