CDC say you can sail mid July

SpainAlien

15 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

At least we can be certain that the 98% of crew and 95% of passengers numbers weren't just plucked out of thin air. I'm sure there is sold scientific evidence why the numbers aren't 99% and 96%, or 49% and 46%. I feel safe.

I think they were just pulled out of their “air.”

1 hour ago, sugcarol said:

I look at the 95/98 number differently. You can be fully vaccinated but the efficacy is 95 to 98%, meaning there is a 5% chance of getting Covid even after vax. That is the reason they require a test for vaccinated passengers. The chances are reduced that one of the passengers will be one of the very few that the vaccine didnt work in the scheme of things. There will never be 100% on anything. When this mess started the CDC said herd immunity in any area where no more than 15% of hospital beds due to Covid is the goal. We reached that long ago. Tests are coming up positive, but how serious and deadly are those new cases? The media is salivating any news about reactions, they are the ones that cause people to doubt. JandJ have been administered to over 8 million people and only 15 people had blood clots. I will take that % any day of the week. That is a % of a% of a %

We aren't close to herd immunity in Texas or any other Southern state which is projected to be 70% to 85% fully vaccinated. The Southern states are all in the Bottom 13 states projected to reach herd immunity-some won't until early 2022. I'm sure the CDC wanted a little extra protection from that 85% number for various obvious reasons-see these boards about fake vaccination cards etc. See 3rd graph at link

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state

Edited by Stallion

I disagree on the point that kids can’t get seriously ill.  In Michigan, the latest rise in cases is among children.  Locally, a prom that was held two weeks ago has now resulted in hospitalizations of students and the reclosure of the high school.  In addition, many of those high school kids that were not directly quarantined just went on a senior trip to Virginia, not smart.  My thoughts, keep kids off ships until they can be vaccinated.

• Like 9

I doubt it. I work in a small town.  The local paper doesn’t have online availability, and is printed once a week.  But it is 100% true since employees have family members affected by the school reclosing and know students ill.  I can look to see if it was picked up by other media in the state.  Again it is a small town, everyone knows everything that goes on, there are no secrets.

Question?  If the CDC is allowing cruising come summer, why did NCL cancel our Oct. cruise from Boston? Anybody know this reason? We would have had to delay anyway because our grandson would only have had only 1 shot when he turns 12 shortly before. Rest of family will be fine. Now the guys have to worry if they will need a booster before the March cruise. That would be another question because their second is longer than six months by then :(.

Thanks

2 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Question?  If the CDC is allowing cruising come summer, why did NCL cancel our Oct. cruise from Boston? Anybody know this reason?

What was the destination? If it was a Canada / New England cruise, then that is why. Canada is not allowing cruises in until 2022. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rachiem said:

Maybe they are stating 95% as there could be a crew member who can’t have the vaccine for a medical reason. 
Seems unfair for someone to loose their job if they can’t have the vaccine but rely on that job and have done it well for years? 

It is 98% for crew under the new CDC guidance out yesterday.  And any ships that are crewing up now will only hire on vaccinated crew members, so no one will be "losing" their job.  Unfortunately, people who can't be vaccinated for medical reasons will have to wait out the requirements.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Question?  If the CDC is allowing cruising come summer, why did NCL cancel our Oct. cruise from Boston? Anybody know this reason? We would have had to delay anyway because our grandson would only have had only 1 shot when he turns 12 shortly before. Rest of family will be fine. Now the guys have to worry if they will need a booster before the March cruise. That would be another question because their second is longer than six months by then :(.

Thanks

I don't think they would open the terminal for just 2 cruises to Bermuda, October 29 and Nov 5. Can't cruise to Canada in September. Looking forward to sailing to Bermuda on the Pearl next year

18 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

However, at some point, isolated instances in the wee %'s of deaths and severe illness and hospitalizations are really statistically irrelevant to the continuation of lives and economies on an entire planet.  Does that help those that suffered such an awful fate?  Do I want to be in that experience.  No and no. 

Thank you for posting this. Every death is a tragedy for that person and his/her family. That's never been in question. The death toll has been staggering and I feel for those who've lost someone.

We use statistical analysis for good reason, because while individual instances do matter (especially to loved ones), they need to be considered in light of the overall numbers. And the analysis I've seen shows no significant risk of children passing on Covid-19 to family members. Is it 0% risk? Of course not. But it's very low, low enough that having unvaccinated children onboard a cruise ship will have a negligible impact on the vaccinated rest of us. I'm not worried about this. At all.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Thanks

latebloomer-We were also on your cruise to Bermuda. NCL cancelled what was left of the cruise season out of Boston on Tuesday, 4/27. Received our cancellation letter Wednesday A.M.. CDC sent letter to cruise lines that night (Wednesday).So the cruise was cancelled before the letter went out.

On to next year!

On 4/29/2021 at 2:46 AM, Middleager said:

Since NCL (and RCL, Celebrity and others) already require all guests and crews to be fully vaccinated, these cruiselines will meet the 95% requirement.  But why 95%, they should've just make it 100%, otherwise there's the risk of those unvaccinated 5% who are at risk or could be spreaders.

Here is a thought.....How will the cruise lines know when the 95% has been reached if they do not know what the total amount of passengers will be? That seems like a problem. CDC should have kept it at 100% vaccinated crew and passengers to KISS (keep it simple stupid).

37 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Here is a thought.....How will the cruise lines know when the 95% has been reached if they do not know what the total amount of passengers will be? That seems like a problem. CDC should have kept it at 100% vaccinated crew and passengers to KISS (keep it simple stupid).

They won't, they will just make it 100%.  The bean counters at the CDC probably have a some reason they came up with that number.  The cruise lines will just make it 100% that is just so much easier than trying to figure out who that 5% is going to be.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

The CDC may have done 95% to allow for some unvaccinated passengers, like children, on sailings.  The cruise lines may see that as a benefit.  But, as others have said, the easiest thing to do is go with 100%.  And NCL has already made that decision.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

The cruise lines will just make it 100% that is just so much easier than trying to figure out who that 5% is going to be.  

Exactly.  And what happens if they have the 5% non-vaccinated booked and a few vaccinated either cancel last minute or are denied boarding for some reason.  Do they kick off a random unvaccinated person to meet the threshold?

On 4/29/2021 at 10:48 AM, hallux said:

And how, exactly, do you prove "natural immunity".  Will they all be subjected to serology tests (the only way to PROVE it) to prove this?  I donated blood almost 2 weeks ago, the serology test on that sample took10 days to come back.  Can it return sooner?  Possibly, but that's been my experience and the last time I donated it took even longer to come back.  Where would one even go to have that test done?

As for the family members being advised by their PCP to not not automatically get the vaccine - my experience was the exact opposite, my PCP's office CALLED ME to offer the vaccine, and after advising them I'd had COVID, recovered and had not had a monoclonal infusion they told me to come in that day for the vaccine if I wanted it.  Oh, and my parents (in their 70's) both had COVID and were not advised NOT to get the vaccine...

The Trumps had Covid and they were advised to get vaccinated which they did.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, sugcarol said:

I look at the 95/98 number differently. You can be fully vaccinated but the efficacy is 95 to 98%, meaning there is a 5% chance of getting Covid even after vax. That is the reason they require a test for vaccinated passengers. The chances are reduced that one of the passengers will be one of the very few that the vaccine didnt work in the scheme of things. There will never be 100% on anything. When this mess started the CDC said herd immunity in any area where no more than 15% of hospital beds due to Covid is the goal. We reached that long ago. Tests are coming up positive, but how serious and deadly are those new cases? The media is salivating any news about reactions, they are the ones that cause people to doubt. JandJ have been administered to over 8 million people and only 15 people had blood clots. I will take that % any day of the week. That is a % of a% of a %

Well said🥰

"Sorry, Dr. Fauci & other fear mongers...". More good news about the MRNA vaccines.   For those wondering about the vaccine for those who have antibodies from having had covid, the antibodies created by the vaccine are 10 times stronger and MRNA vaccines allow the immune system to recognize other novel coronavirus strains.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2021/04/28/which-is-better-for-developing-immunity-covid-19-vaccine-or-natural-infection/

Edited by NikiPinkston
Punctuation
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, cscurlock said:

They won't, they will just make it 100%.  The bean counters at the CDC probably have a some reason they came up with that number.  The cruise lines will just make it 100% that is just so much easier than trying to figure out who that 5% is going to be.  

I see you are thinking along the same lines I am.

4 hours ago, hallux said:

Exactly.  And what happens if they have the 5% non-vaccinated booked and a few vaccinated either cancel last minute or are denied boarding for some reason.  Do they kick off a random unvaccinated person to meet the threshold?

That was exactly the point I was trying to make a couple of posts ago. You also have a grasp at what I was trying to convey.

2 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

"Sorry, Dr. Fauci & other fear mongers...". More good news about the MRNA vaccines.   For those wondering about the vaccine for those who have antibodies from having had covid, the antibodies created by the vaccine are 10 times stronger and MRNA vaccines allow the immune system to recognize other novel coronavirus strains.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2021/04/28/which-is-better-for-developing-immunity-covid-19-vaccine-or-natural-infection/

WOW.....great stuff. Thanks for posting this. I'm thrilled hubby and I received the Moderna mRNA vaccine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

WOW.....great stuff. Thanks for posting this. I'm thrilled hubby and I received the Moderna mRNA vaccine.

Thank you, coffeebean!  I thought so, too. We got the Moderna vaccine as well!

• Like 2

On 4/29/2021 at 8:10 PM, Shidah said:

I disagree on the point that kids can’t get seriously ill.  In Michigan, the latest rise in cases is among children.  Locally, a prom that was held two weeks ago has now resulted in hospitalizations of students and the reclosure of the high school.  In addition, many of those high school kids that were not directly quarantined just went on a senior trip to Virginia, not smart.  My thoughts, keep kids off ships until they can be vaccinated.

270ish kids 18 and under died of Covid thus far. Any child death is tragic (my sister died very young) but they (18 and younger) have a far greater chance of dying in a car accident on the way to the cruise.

• Like 1

Not thinking children would die on board, but picture a cruise line allowing 5% unvaccinated children on board.  They all interact in the kids club ( which should be closed until the pandemic is completely over, but let’s say it is not).  A few get sick, covid or even non-covid until testing can confirm and it turns into a nightmare.  Ports will not allow the ship to disembark, salivating media outlets all jump on board the story, everyone gets quarantined to their cabins, and cruising gets shut down again by an over zealous CDC.  No one wants this to happen.  Keep kids off the ships until a vaccine is approved for them, which I predict will happen within 2 -3 months.  

• Like 4