Free excursion in each port

Pendle Witch

I have read somewhere that passengers will not be allowed off the ship unless on an organised excursion, and that they are offering one free in each port. We are sailing on Spirit 20th October and it is now showing excursions but only the normal paid for ones. Does anyone have any further knowledge of these?

Thankyou

According to the CMO, and for the time being during the restart phase (meaning the Moon voyages in Greece), passengers will not be allowed off the ship unless they are participating in a SS excursion.   This means one “free” shore excursion per port per guest.  This policy will be re-evaluated later this summer / early fall as SS hopes to return back to the pre-pandemic policy of allowing freedom of exploration in ports during the second phase of return to normal cruising.

Edited by Stumblefoot
  • Thanks 1

Thankyou for your reply Stumblefoot, we will sit and wait and see what happens. I think if there’s something we definitely want to see then we should book it in advance, that way we won’t be disappointed at not getting on them. I understand the reasoning for not letting passengers off the ship unaccompanied, but we do like to wander on our own in some places.

Hi Stumbles,

That's a very timely reply as I am just starting to think seriously about my Spirit Sept 3rd cruise around the UK and am realising that I don't want to be trapped on the ship in this way.

I am not keen on excursions although I usually do one or two, but on this itinerary there are specific things I want to do in some of the ports and I know I will be unhappy if all I can do is gaze wistfully through the windows of a tour bus at places I want to revisit or friends I want to meet or whatever.

I am so eager to cruise again that I thought it'd be OK, or that everything would be opened up again by September, but now I'm concerned. I'm beginning to consider changing from this cruise to a crossing in November - days at sea when at sea are quite different from being trapped on the ship - 'a sea day' - when in port, looking out at the town I want to explore but forbidden from going there.

I originally felt safer to book a Southampton - Southampton itinerary as it would be likely to sail (and it probably will) but now that Europe may be opening up to the vaccinated (I am) and there's a glimmer of a thaw in the CDC's attitude, a Transatlantic might be realistic. And a lot cheaper - the per diem for the Spirit is eye-wateringly high for a solo which is another reason I'm concerned that I will feel trapped and not enjoy it. 

I'll email SS and see if they can give me any timeline on the second phase, but I don't expect they can - I suppose my only choice is to be very certain about what date I must decide by to retain full refund options.

1 hour ago, Pendle Witch said:

I understand the reasoning for not letting passengers off the ship unaccompanied, but we do like to wander on our own in some places.

We are squarely in your camp.

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

I am just starting to think seriously about my Spirit Sept 3rd cruise around the UK and am realising that I don't want to be trapped on the ship in this way.

I totally understand, Jolly.  The hardest thing for me to comprehend is the language the CMO and other executives out of Monte Carlo use sometimes, especially when they don’t always define terms.

For example, Phase 1 and Phase 2.  What is that timeline?  In another comment, the CMO stated SS only has “short term” visibility and it is too complicated to plan for the “medium term” unfortunately.  As such, shorex will be managed as bubble at the beginning of the revised Moon itineraries and be included in the fare.  But, once the bubble requirement is lifted, the excursions will come with a cost to the passenger in addition to their cruise fare, until the previously announced dates in 2022 when excursions will once again be included as part of the cruise fare.  

To me, it’s all confusing and how does SS define short and medium term?  Is short term all of the Greek itineraries and medium term begins with the crossing from Athens to Dubai?  Who knows?

Think our next booking will be UK/UK and having received 2022/2023 brochures from Saga whom we enjoyed excellent cruises with in the last two years.There is a vast choice of Med,Baltic and Caribbean that start and finish in Dover and Southampton for those who prefer top quality no fly cruising from the UK.