Weather in July on Lower Mississippi

bronco11

We are first time riverboat cruisers so are unsure what to expect weather wise in July.  We are booked on American Countess July 25, 2021 from New Orleans to Memphis. Will the heat make it too uncomfortable to enjoy the cruise and stops along the way?  We have been on more than 50 ocean cruises but have no idea how riverboat will compare. 

Any advice on proper dress codes, tips and tricks will be appreciated. 

If you're not used to hot and humid, it will feel especially uncomfortable.

We are taking the American Queen in August, but then we're adapted, coming from FL.

We loved this cruise line pre-COVID, staff is even more personable compared to ocean cruising...after all, there's maybe 200 ve 2000+ people on board. They make touring easy with their Hop On/Off buses that circulate frequently. Entertainment on our last cruise with them was top-notch.

But you might want to reconsider your timing.

It will be hot, as others have said, but you will be in and out of air conditioning all the time.  Depends on your personal tolerance for heat.  I hate heat, but we sailed in the lower Mississippi area in June/July two years ago (heading north on the full Mississippi cruise which due to low water was diverted, but that is another story) and I was not unhappy.

We booked in September because I'm a bit of a delicate flower in the heat.  We'll still be risking temps in the 90's but hopefully it won't be the majority.  I still out and about around the Baltimore area in temps over 100, I just don't like it much.

On 5/6/2021 at 1:25 PM, bronco11 said:

We are first time riverboat cruisers so are unsure what to expect weather wise in July.  We are booked on American Countess July 25, 2021 from New Orleans to Memphis. Will the heat make it too uncomfortable to enjoy the cruise and stops along the way?  We have been on more than 50 ocean cruises but have no idea how riverboat will compare. 

Any advice on proper dress codes, tips and tricks will be appreciated. 

Weather in the lower Mississippi especially New Orleans would best be described as hot and humid at that time of year.

Be sure to drink plenty of water. They'll give you a lovely stainless steel water bottle in your cabin on the Countess and they have stations for filling it with filtered water all over the boat.

We usually prefer looser clothing made of natural fibers like cotton. Dress on board the boat is very casual though you can dress up if you like so I would just take shorts and maybe one pair of khaki pants to wear to dinner. They'll keep it nice and cool on the boat and on the buses, but some of the tours are of old antebellum houses so it may be a tad warm then.