Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

11 hours ago, les37b said:

Were you able to upload your vaccine doc for the PLF? It wouldn't accept ours, even after taking all the effort to downloading, then emailing to myself, logging onto the Seas mega PC centre. The GS staff told us not to bother with verifly, but not doing so meant we couldn't check in for the BA flight.

We also could not upload the vaccine doc/QR code for the PLF (I should have mentioned this). We had the document as a pdf, jpeg image and also tried to scan it directly during the PLF online application. Eventually the application process recognised that we were moving into fly-banging-its-head-against-the-window territory and suggested we chose the option that we did not have proof of vaccination (slightly worrying doing this) and that we could show proof when the PLF was checked. This worked fine, but showed yet another flaw in the system.

We didn't bother with VeriFLY for the return flight to London. The Maltese and UK governments don't require it, nor does Air Malta. Just another example of BA being a pain in the whatsit.

As a final note, we had our day 2 PCR tests today at a drive-through ExpressTest test centre in Reading FC stadium car park. Someone does the test on you which removes the need to stuff something up your own nose, ensures the test is carried out correctly and you don't need to send back the test yourself. Literally no queue (one other car in another lane while we were being tested and another car came in as we left) - I presume volumes are down and I'd guess they'll close the centre after half term at the latest. ExpressTest also do testing in Heathrow (and perhaps other airport) arrivals terminals but we didn't want to add another step to yesterday's already potentially fraught journey. At £69 for the test they are more expensive than Randox but similar to may others. From our experience I'd recommend them. Result by 10pm tomorrow.  

29 minutes ago, Janet&David said:

We also could not upload the vaccine doc/QR code for the PLF (I should have mentioned this). We had the document as a pdf, jpeg image and also tried to scan it directly during the PLF online application. Eventually the application process recognised that we were moving into fly-banging-its-head-against-the-window territory and suggested we chose the option that we did not have proof of vaccination (slightly worrying doing this) and that we could show proof when the PLF was checked. This worked fine, but showed yet another flaw in the system.

We didn't bother with VeriFLY for the return flight to London. The Maltese and UK governments don't require it, nor does Air Malta. Just another example of BA being a pain in the whatsit.

As a final note, we had our day 2 PCR tests today at a drive-through ExpressTest test centre in Reading FC stadium car park. Someone does the test on you which removes the need to stuff something up your own nose, ensures the test is carried out correctly and you don't need to send back the test yourself. Literally no queue (one other car in another lane while we were being tested and another car came in as we left) - I presume volumes are down and I'd guess they'll close the centre after half term at the latest. ExpressTest also do testing in Heathrow (and perhaps other airport) arrivals terminals but we didn't want to add another step to yesterday's already potentially fraught journey. At £69 for the test they are more expensive than Randox but similar to may others. From our experience I'd recommend them. Result by 10pm tomorrow.  

My thoughts on the PLF was that as we needed to show proof of the ships PCR, we obviously needed to show the document, so figured it would be fine. There was only one person I spoke to who was able to upload the proof they required. It really is a joke that something so allegedly essential and important that they can't even get that right.

The more I think about this day 2 for us, after the number of tests we've just had makes it all the more pointless. 

Just posted our Randox (passing petrol queues) that is collected at 3.30 and believe the results come in tonight just after midnight. We shall see. Not in the slightest anxious over that.

4 minutes ago, Tarheel1952 said:

Leaving tomorrow.  Going over checklist.

Malta dPlf should be printed and signed.  There is no signature line on the pdf.  Did anyone sign it?  If so, where?

Also, is there a way to print anything from Verifly?  I am not seeing a way.

Thanks!!

The Malta forms are different for what you do online and what you print out manually, at least they were in August.  We took a pen and were ready to sign if they needed.  I don't think they asked us to sign, but they did look it over to make sure everything was good.

On 9/24/2021 at 4:08 PM, gma1 said:

We just returned from 21 days. We only used US dollars for tips...took many $1 and  $5 bills. We ask one guide and she said yes US dollars are fine!

1 minute ago, rizello said:

The Malta forms are different for what you do online and what you print out manually, at least they were in August.  We took a pen and were ready to sign if they needed.  I don't think they asked us to sign, but they did look it over to make sure everything was good.

Info is highly appreciated!  Thank you!

19 minutes ago, Tarheel1952 said:

Malta dPlf should be printed and signed.  There is no signature line on the pdf.  Did anyone sign it?  If so, where?

Thanks!!

For VeriFLY, the only way I can think to print would be take screenshots and print those. We leave tomorrow for Malta - still waiting for PCR results! 😬

8 minutes ago, Harrietq said:

For VeriFLY, the only way I can think to print would be take screenshots and print those. We leave tomorrow for Malta - still waiting for PCR results! 😬

We did rapid PCRs this am.  Good to go in that respect!  Think we have all things covered.

See you there!

10 hours ago, rizello said:

There are two forms for Malta (at least thats the case for the UK).

One is the online PLF and the other is a medical declaration. They wanted to see both and also my Vaccine record at the booth just as you leave the airport security.

5 hours ago, les37b said:

There are two forms for Malta (at least thats the case for the UK).

One is the online PLF and the other is a medical declaration. They wanted to see both and also my Vaccine record at the booth just as you leave the airport security.

Thank you.  I googled the declaration and am printing it off to fill in just in case!!

1 hour ago, Tarheel1952 said:

Thank you.  I googled the declaration and am printing it off to fill in just in case!!

Same here. Bringing a lot of paper.

Leaving later this afternoon connecting through Frankfurt.  Hope to meet some of you on board.

17 hours ago, Tarheel1952 said:

Thanks!!

Just sign at the bottom of page if the line isn't visible. Neither was ours & had no issues.

• Like 1

Lufthansa flight from Newark was very nice.  Check in at gate in Newark was chaotic.

Entry to Malta was easy.  They scanned the barcode on on print out of the dPlf.  Did not look at the form.  Transfer to ship and check in - simple.

Great to be on the ship!

Safe travels to all!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tarheel1952 said:

Lufthansa flight from Newark was very nice.  Check in at gate in Newark was chaotic.

Entry to Malta was easy.  They scanned the barcode on on print out of the dPlf.  Did not look at the form.  Transfer to ship and check in - simple.

Great to be on the ship!

Safe travels to all!

Thanks for taking time for the update about the Malta flight etc.

have a great cruise !!!!! 

many of us will be on next week's flight form Newark to Malta and the Viking gVenus. 

On 9/25/2021 at 5:05 PM, les37b said:

Just departing Zadar...    YT video uploads on return....

IMG_20210925_180256.jpg

As promised elsewhere, please find attached a complete set of "Daily Viking" for the Viking Star Croatian cruise from 19 to 29 October.

Hopefully they are useful for someone. (12.5Mb in total)

viking-star-19-29-sep-21.pdf

• Like 1

Friends  arrived on Viking Venus on Oct 2. They post on the other site:  their meal in Chef Table and then movie on pool deck  under the stars, relaxing in the lounge chairs and watching  movie with wait service. Does not get any better than that for a relaxing evening.

Cannot wait till we are on the ship next week.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, les37b said:

As promised elsewhere, please find attached a complete set of "Daily Viking" for the Viking Star Croatian cruise from 19 to 29 October.

Hopefully they are useful for someone. (12.5Mb in total)

viking-star-19-29-sep-21.pdf 12.47 MB · 16 downloads

Oops! Not sure why I typed Viking Star..... They are of course Viking sea!

Can't wait to see everyone next week! Today I arranged covid tests for Thursday afternoon (our first flight out is Sunday very early am), transfers from ship to Barcelona hotel (9am hoping for some leeway in disembarking) and to BCN on 10/20 at an unearthly early hour. All part of the experience when you're west coast US!

Travel planning for this trip has been completely different from any other. Thanks to everyone for your helpful posts!

Edited by SYatSea
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, les37b said:

Oh my days..  . What a brain freeze! 

I was so happy to get the chore of scanning them all out of the way, I just wanted to get them uploaded.

Thanks so much for posting these.  We're on the Sea for its Barcelona to San Juan TA at the end of November, so I checked out the dailies with sea days to see what kind of programming was offered.