HAL CAribbean cruises Boston to Boston round trip to Caribbean and back

sail7seas

YEARS AGO, we sailed Noordam, NY to Caribbean to NY in January  and loved it .   I think the cruise was about 14or so days..utter  rheaven)  Whtile we got  lucky  the cold was

not a real issue     We  were downt he coast into warm weather/ warm   water  second day.  

.   We were amazed how wondferul was to sail out of NY in January

sail.noordam@gmail.com

2 hours ago, sail7seas said:

YEARS AGO, we sailed Noordam, NY to Caribbean to NY in January  and loved it .   I think the cruise was about 14or so days..utter  rheaven)  Whtile we got  lucky  the cold was

not a real issue     We  were downt he coast into warm weather/ warm   water  second day.  

.   We were amazed how wondferul was to sail out of NY in January

sail.noordam@gmail.com

My friend and I were on the Noordam's maiden voyage out of NY.  It was 14 days to the Caribbean and back.  About three days out the winter jackets would be coming off.  For a winter sailing in the Atlantic, the seas were very calm.  However, on the return trip, we hit a two day storm off Cape Hatteras.  The morning of disembarkation we had ice on the decks.  I wish HAL had more cruises out of NY and Boston.

There is a cruise terminal in Norfolk that sits unused by cruise companies. Carnival was to use it this year for a few cruises but due to the shutdown last year, those plans were delayed until next year. I would rather drive four hours than 12+ hours over two days to Florida.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

My friend and I were on the Noordam's maiden voyage out of NY.  It was 14 days to the Caribbean and back.  About three days out the winter jackets would be coming off.  For a winter sailing in the Atlantic, the seas were very calm.  However, on the return trip, we hit a two day storm off Cape Hatteras.  The morning of disembarkation we had ice on the decks.  I wish HAL had more cruises out of NY and Boston.

4 or 5 days of cold weather is not my idea of fun when looking at a Caribbean cruise. We've only been on 2 and I much preferred sailing out of San Juan. Nice, balmy weather from day 1.

• Like 2

Unfortunately there have been numerous problems sailing from the more Northern East Coast ports in the winter to make it very difficult to sell and no likely to see this happening especially with HAL.

The Seas can bey very unpredictable in the Atlantic going north of Florida. Royal Caribbean has had it's share of very bad seas on Anthem of the Seas with some severe damage and cruisers swearing they will never cruise again. You can google and see these occurred in 2016 and 2017 as well as other years.

Cruise lines normally charge more for longer voyages but with that being said unless the ports are totally amazing it is harder to sell the longer voyage. The cruise lines would be using up 14 days where they could be turning it around making more on two 7 day cruises. While many of us love the sea days the winter months are not those "enjoy your balcony warm" sea days.

When we finally get cruising profit is going to be the big concern and focus of all cruise lines, they will go where they can make the most profit. Northern East Coast unfortunately is not it unless it is to to go to Bermuda or Canada New England Cruises.

7 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

There is a cruise terminal in Norfolk that sits unused by cruise companies. Carnival was to use it this year for a few cruises but due to the shutdown last year, those plans were delayed until next year. I would rather drive four hours than 12+ hours over two days to Florida.

NCL's new ship will be announcing tomorrow a sailing or two out of Norfolk on the new Norwegian Prima in 2022. 

The problem with Norfolk is there are limited months where cruising is good which is why Carnival has toyed with it over the years. Unfortunately what Carnival does with ports like Norfolk is to place the oldest ships and charge premium fares because...well they can. The population around this area is high. Many do not want to fly to Florida and too far to drive. Carnival charged the premium because people were willing to pay.

I actually would not mind going out of Norfolk, while it is a 5 hour flight for me it would be a nice place to spend some time pre or post cruise especially in the Virginia Beach area. But I will not be doing that on an older Carnival ship.

• Like 1

We sailed out of Norfolk some years ago on I believe the Volendam.  10 or 14 day Caribbean cruise in October.  Full ship and a great cruise terminal.  Keep hoping HAL will return to that port.  Lots of money spent to build it and it sits idle.

On 5/11/2021 at 2:33 PM, LAFFNVEGAS said:

The problem with Norfolk is there are limited months where cruising is good which is why Carnival has toyed with it over the years.

The weather in the North Atlantic and off the Outer Banks can be problematical.  When the Maasdam tried to establish a schedule out of Norfolk, there were issues because the ship could not sail at the anticipated speed to keep to her published schedule.  

Yet, Carnival Pride and Grandeur of the Seas has been able to sail, unless I am incorrect, year round from Baltimore and they have been able to navigate the same seas of any ship sailing from Norfolk.  And, I guess, maintain a decent published schedule.  

My opinion:  as much as I like the Tidewater area and Norfolk, the cruise terminal in Norfolk presents logistical and infrastructure challenges that are discouraging for more cruises from that wonderful city.  

• Like 1