Celebrity website inaccuracies about St. Maarten

rsail203

Unless SXM has their own requirement for embarkation testing, Celebrity may be mirroring the updated CDC protocol for restricted sailings and not requiring a negative test upon boarding at all for vaccinated passengers. Patience......

23 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

When you choose to travel internationally and cruise during a pandemic and on some of the very first cruises after a 15+ month shutdown...these things are going to happen and should be expected.

The onus is not on customers and guests to give a multi-billion dollar corporation leeway in providing a good guest experience... it's on the corporation. 

Again, I understand the situation is evolving! I want Celebrity to follow the science and make good decisions to keep their customers safe and healthy, which is why I'm not complaining about any sort of testing requirements or guidelines! But engaging in a "Who's on First" communications strategy with requirements that will materially affect whether or not people can/can't board a ship is just ridiculousness. 

If they don't know, that's also okay! But don't pull things out of a hat on the fly. Someone in their HQ needs to take this over ASAP across the brand, so the entire organization is speaking with one message and one voice (welcome to my ted talk about corporate communications).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Unless SXM has their own requirement for embarkation testing, Celebrity may be mirroring the updated CDC protocol for restricted sailings and not requiring a negative test upon boarding at all for vaccinated passengers. Patience......

I wouldn't count on it at least for the early sailings.   I'm sure this is documented in the agreement with SXM to home port.   US residents will still need the disembarkation test to reenter the country.

3 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I wouldn't count on it at least for the early sailings.   I'm sure this is documented in the agreement with SXM to home port.   US residents will still need the disembarkation test to reenter the country.

You have to have a test in hand to enter SXM itself anyway. Celebrity requiring the PCR test 3 days prior to boarding was their own doing. If the CDC is okay with no test at embarkation for vaccinated people, I'm sure Celebrity would like to ease that requirement and simply follow the guidelines to enter SXM. 

So last night the CDC further loosened restrictions for vaccinated guests. Looser test requirements, back to backs are ok, mask wearing loosened, self guided shore excursions, etc. The biggest being the test requirement dropped. 

So, why in the heck is Celebrity holding onto these requirements, especially their own requirement for another test to board when everyone will have taken one to arrive on the island, and if vaccinated why are you giving us antigen tests in top of two other tests??? Its insane. Why are we being locked into masks still and Celebrity shore excursions?? Why is the island government still requiring tests when other islands have recognized the vaccination science and dropped them? Why hasnt the island updated their guidance for safe countries with vaccinated travelers??

Im getting very frustrated. My guess is Celebrity Management is focused and the people and time are invested into the resumption of US cruising planning snd these Bahamas and SXM sailings are operationally getting a back seat. I want to cruise in three weeks, but I’m beginning to wonder if this is going to be a costly mistake, and then layer on the inconsistencies in guidance and errors, and omissions, and back door amendments to protocols, it’s got me VERY frustrated. 

These sailings are supposed to be on the cutting edge of changes and science and vaccination priviliges and advantages, and now its like were locked into and slaved to the state of the virus in Feb-March, while the rest of the industry is springing forward, including the RCCL Bahamas sailings which testing requirements were loosened for vaccinated guests, and I believ me I read even Greece loosened the test requirements for vaccinated travelers!!! Ugh. 

Edited by BoundForSea
  • Like 2

Certainly agree with many of the thoughts especially when those who discuss communications.  We are seasoned cruisers and expected “some” evolvement of the process as it moved along.  What we didn’t expect was the lack of communications and even some of the basic system issues.  The inability to accomplish check-in after notification that check-in was allowed because they were still having system problems wasn’t as surprising as that we needed to call Guest Services to find this out.   We also have found the system would regular throw up System Errors or a message that we were not authorized when we would try to check on what may be new with PCR Testing rules.  Again nothing from Celebrity.   We fixed our concerns by simply throwing more money at it with a change to our flights.  This meant we canceled a 2 nite booking which was lost revenue for St Marten and a lost experience for us.  Again this was from the lack of knowing because of Celebrity’s lack of communications.  Having said that we will press forward and hope that these communications “hick-ups” will end all will be wonderful!!!  Come-on Celebrity you can do this........

1 hour ago, BoundForSea said:

So last night the CDC further loosened restrictions for vaccinated guests. Looser test requirements, back to backs are ok, mask wearing loosened, self guided shore excursions, etc. The biggest being the test requirement dropped. 

So, why in the heck is Celebrity holding onto these requirements, especially their own requirement for another test to board when everyone will have taken one to arrive on the island, and if vaccinated why are you giving us antigen tests in top of two other tests??? Its insane. Why are we being locked into masks still and Celebrity shore excursions?? Why is the island government still requiring tests when other islands have recognized the vaccination science and dropped them? Why hasnt the island updated their guidance for safe countries with vaccinated travelers??

Im getting very frustrated. My guess is Celebrity Management is focused and the people and time are invested into the resumption of US cruising planning snd these Bahamas and SXM sailings are operationally getting a back seat. I want to cruise in three weeks, but I’m beginning to wonder if this is going to be a costly mistake, and then layer on the inconsistencies in guidance and errors, and omissions, and back door amendments to protocols, it’s got me VERY frustrated. 

These sailings are supposed to be on the cutting edge of changes and science and vaccination priviliges and advantages, and now its like were locked into and slaved to the state of the virus in Feb-March, while the rest of the industry is springing forward, including the RCCL Bahamas sailings which testing requirements were loosened for vaccinated guests, and I believ me I read even Greece loosened the test requirements for vaccinated travelers!!! Ugh. 

The CDC's changes just came out last night. If Celebrity or SXM choses to adjust guidelines to be more in line with what the CDC expects stateside it will take more than a few hours on a Saturday morning to get their ducks in a row. You willingly signed up under even more stringent expectations. I would suggest cancelling if a vacation causes so much angst. 

So, can anyone point me to the CDC saying now that back to backs are okay, please? This just came out last night? I would be so happy if this is now the case. How about the 7 nights only CDC rule? We have b2b with 12/9 night in Sept.

22 minutes ago, 39august said:

So, can anyone point me to the CDC saying now that back to backs are okay, please? This just came out last night? I would be so happy if this is now the case. How about the 7 nights only CDC rule? We have b2b with 12/9 night in Sept.

The operations manual does not say B2B's are not allowed but also goes on to specifically call them out in the update testing rules. There is also no word about a limit on the duration of the cruises.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

Screening Testing of All Embarking and Disembarking Passengers for Restricted Voyages
  Not Fully Vaccinated Passengers Fully Vaccinated Passengers
Embarkation Day Testing Viral (NAAT or antigen) Not Applicable*
Disembarkation Day Testing Viral (NAAT or antigen) Not Applicable
Back-to-Back Sailing¥ Testing Viral (NAAT or antigen) Not Applicable

* While embarkation testing is not required, international travelers arriving in the U.S. are recommended to be tested 3-5 days after arrival, including those who are fully vaccinated. Cruise operators may follow this recommendation at their discretion.

¥ Back-to-back sailing refers to passengers who stay on board for two or more voyages.

• Like 1

Celebrity is now allowing B2B on the Millennium sailings.  Looked into adding a week earlier today. Unfortunately, we made final on the one we had booked a week ago. No leeway on the airfare change fee. For now we’ll stick with just one week. 

I firmly believe these testing requirements will change for the better. The CDC has issued a lot of changes in the past few days and I’m sure the cruise lines are trying to digest it all. 

1 hour ago, gerelmx said:

I wonder: If the Millennium was in St Maarten and has its first departure scheduled for June 5. Why was it moved to Galveston?

Some of the crew are getting vaccinated, presumably with J&J since we are less than 3 weeks now. They are scheduled to arrive Tuesday I think. 

Edited by Seany527

It was co firmed for me today that the policy on the website below, is indeed the current requirements. This means that now the 5 day test requirement for the cruise line (not the island for entry) is only 3 days prior to “arrival” as they state which is presumed to be at the port day of embarkation. Thats significant in that folks like me that will only pre test in the US will have to cancel my pre cruise hotel arrangements. Thats because if I test the earliest possible for acceptance to the cruise line, Wednesday, as a rapid RT-PCR test same day results (300$ in Mew York) I will then have to submit to the island for approval (12-24hrs) which is Thursday, and then depart of Friday. So my three night pre cruise reservation will now only be one. After traveling the world for past 20+ years, I will NOT leave the fate of my cruise to island testing or rely on results in a timely fashiom from a caribbean island, Ive learned that the hard way. 

Anyway, heres the link. This is the “right answer” according to Celebrity. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/st-maarten-travel-requirements

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

It was co firmed for me today that the policy on the website below, is indeed the current requirements. This means that now the 5 day test requirement for the cruise line (not the island for entry) is only 3 days prior to “arrival” as they state which is presumed to be at the port day of embarkation. Thats significant in that folks like me that will only pre test in the US will have to cancel my pre cruise hotel arrangements. Thats because if I test the earliest possible for acceptance to the cruise line, Wednesday, as a rapid RT-PCR test same day results (300$ in Mew York) I will then have to submit to the island for approval (12-24hrs) which is Thursday, and then depart of Friday. So my three night pre cruise reservation will now only be one. After traveling the world for past 20+ years, I will NOT leave the fate of my cruise to island testing or rely on results in a timely fashiom from a caribbean island, Ive learned that the hard way. 

Anyway, heres the link. This is the “right answer” according to Celebrity. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/st-maarten-travel-requirements

Ouch. Thank you for posting this. We currently have a two night stay planned, so it’s change arrival or test twice. We were also looking at booking a second cruise now that B2B is allowed. However, any of this involves an airfare change.  And I remain convinced these requirements will change again before we sail in August. 

We are arriving on Friday of our cruise, so my plan is to test twice.  Once on Monday and once on Wednesday.  Fortunately, I have two places that will do Covid PCR tests for free, and both tend to have a less than 48 hour turn around.

Today, the CDC said that for US cruises, vaccinated travelers don't need to test.  I wonder if that will change anything for the later cruises.  We're still a couple months out.

20 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

We are arriving on Friday of our cruise, so my plan is to test twice.  Once on Monday and once on Wednesday.  Fortunately, I have two places that will do Covid PCR tests for free, and both tend to have a less than 48 hour turn around.

Today, the CDC said that for US cruises, vaccinated travelers don't need to test.  I wonder if that will change anything for the later cruises.  We're still a couple months out.

You’re fortunate you can test for free for travel purposes. I’m seeing about $130 in the Austin area. 

The language in the email from the CEO of Celebrity--and also now on their website--eliminates mention of the rt-PCR test:

"Testing and Screening

Safe vacations start with prevention. Every guest and crew member will be fully vaccinated. Prior to boarding, all guests are required to complete a health questionnaire and guests 2 and older will be required to take an antigen test at the terminal and prior to debarkation if required for home country re-entry.

I suppose they caught up with St Maarten allowing the antigen instead of rt-PCR test. But it doesn't say that (yet) on Celebrity's own Travel to St Maarten page:
  • Government regulations require US & Canada visitors to present negative RT-PCR test results taken within 5 days prior to arrival. Visitors from all other countries must present negative RT-PCR test results taken within 3 days prior to arrival.
  • Be sure to save a copy on your phone or bring a printed copy. Name on test results must match those on government issued identification.
  • Upon embarkation, all guests are required to present negative RT PCR test results taken within 3 days prior to arrival. Negative test results required, and name on test results must match government issued identification.
  • Celebrity Cruises requires proof of vaccination in the form of the original vaccination card administered at least two weeks prior to sailing. No photocopies or photos accepted.
Edited by sofietucker

We’re on the second sailing, flying in Thursday, so our current plan is to do two tests. One will be an antigen test at our neighborhood CityMD urgent care, with results in 15 minutes. We’ll submit this to the St Maarten EAHS for pre approval to fly to the island. 

We’ll also need to get a PCR test for Celebrity. Because of the ridiculous 72 testing hour requirement, we’ll need to go to a NYC COVID express site Wednesday afternoon for the test, and print out the results from out accounts after we land in St Maarten on Thursday afternoon. 

Luckily, because of where we live, both of these tests will be free to us. For many of my fellow guests not living in a major urban center with access to COVID testing and public health initiatives, this could end up costing hundreds per couple. 

5 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

The language in the email from the CEO of Celebrity--and also now on their website--eliminates mention of the rt-PCR test:

"Testing and Screening

Safe vacations start with prevention. Every guest and crew member will be fully vaccinated. Prior to boarding, all guests are required to complete a health questionnaire and guests 2 and older will be required to take an antigen test at the terminal and prior to debarkation if required for home country re-entry.
I suppose they caught up with St Maarten allowing the antigen instead of rt-PCR test. But it doesn't say that (yet) on their own Travel to St Maarten page...

Sadly, the only protocols and guidelines Celebrity has are posted here: https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/st-maarten-travel-requirements 

Until those protocols are updated, I would not take any marketing materials or testing omissions in marketing emails from Celebrity at face value. 

Edited by AstoriaPreppy
  • Like 1

As expected, there were some minor updates to the guidelines for SXM cruises. More details to come. 

They are moving the vaccination age from age 18 to 16 among a few other items and may change it to age 12 in the future.