Reading material for Iceland cruisers

DaveSJ711

This book was reviewed in the New York Times today. It looks very interesting! Those who are taking a Viking cruise around Iceland, or who are considering a similar cruise, might want to read this book for some fascinating background about Iceland and Icelanders. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/books/review/how-iceland-changed-the-world-egill-bjarnason.html?action=click&module=Editors Picks&pgtype=Homepage

Edited by DaveSJ711
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Best review I have read in years.  My friends will be going to  Iceland , while I am going to Bermuda in July.  Iceland is on my bucket list for another time.

Read up on Icelandic sagas and myths before you go. It is the land of fire and ice. 

• Like 2

On 5/14/2021 at 3:54 PM, DaveSJ711 said:

This book was reviewed in the New York Times today. It looks very interesting! Those who are taking a Viking cruise around Iceland, or who are considering a similar cruise, might want to read this book for some fascinating background about Iceland and Icelanders. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/books/review/how-iceland-changed-the-world-egill-bjarnason.html?action=click&module=Editors Picks&pgtype=Homepage

Thanks for finding that, it's now installed on my Kindle.  Looks like a good read.

Slightly off topic perhaps but over here in the UK I have had access to some tv shows set in Iceland which would set the scene and introduce you to the language ( english subtitles available 😀)

Mostly thriller,scandi noir kind of shows.

Dark and atmospheric.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Donaghadee said:

Twelve bucks won't kill ya and it's a fun read.

My copy arrived this week. The list price is $17, but we paid less to the rapacious company that sells everything and anything.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Yeah but that same company is already getting a monthly fee from me. Hate for him to have to make his yacht even fancier just because I buy a book unexpectedly. 😂

Don't worry, his soon-to-be ex is getting half.

Edited by Donaghadee

7 minutes ago, Donaghadee said:

Don't worry, his soon-to-be ex is getting half.

I think that deal has already been made. She had already given away some of her $38,000,000,000!  
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/recode/2020/12/15/22176710/mackenzie-scott-bezos-philanthropy-speed-four-billion

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

I think that deal has already been made. She had already given away some of her $38,000,000,000!  
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/recode/2020/12/15/22176710/mackenzie-scott-bezos-philanthropy-speed-four-billion

The author and publisher get the lion's share.  Now reflect on how many bazillion items passed through Bezos' operation to amass that kind of coin. Boggling numbers.  Like him or not, you have to admit he built quite the mousetrap. 

• Like 1

Dave, thanks!

I found it on Audible and have been listening to it. Very enjoyable and informative.

I'm curious as to what other books folks have been reading in preparation for this adventure (besides travel guides.)

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Dave, thanks!

I found it on Audible and have been listening to it. Very enjoyable and informative.

I'm curious as to what other books folks have been reading in preparation for this adventure (besides travel guides.)

I’m not Dave, but I have done some reading on Iceland. Recommend: “Viking Age Iceland” by Jesse Byock; “Birth of a Nation” byNjordur P. Njardvik, “Guide to the Geology of Iceland” by Ari Gudmundsson. Not light reading, but all interesting. Then there are the Icelandic Sagas which are great. Hope this helps!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

I’m not Dave, but I have done some reading on Iceland. Recommend: “Viking Age Iceland” by Jesse Byock; “Birth of a Nation” byNjordur P. Njardvik, “Guide to the Geology of Iceland” by Ari Gudmundsson. Not light reading, but all interesting. Then there are the Icelandic Sagas which are great. Hope this helps!

For those doing the Golden Circle, your first stop will be Thingvellir National Park, where Iceland’s first Parliament convened in AD 930. Watch for “Law Rock,” a natural gathering place for the politicians of the time. Fascinating geology and fascinating history.

1 hour ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Watch for “Law Rock,” a natural gathering place for the politicians of the time. Fascinating geology and fascinating history.

Bjarnason talks about this in his book.

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

I’m not Dave,

That's okay. It was an open ended question aimed at everyone. 😉

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 1

I'm almost done the book. 

Here is what I say: if you are only going to read one book, this is the one you want.  It is an easy read.  It has all the background that you want, told in approachable style and not overburdened with dry details

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1