Proof of share ownership when it's in your RRSP/TFSA?

dns65

As you know, the cruise lines offer OBC for shareholders.  Looking at the requirements, I need to submit one of the following:

Photocopy of shareholder proxy card, a dividend tax voucher or a current brokerage or nominee statement with your current mailing address and your brokerage account number blacked out

All my investments are just in an RRSP account thru my bank.  So I don't have share certificates or any tax documents relating to dividends.  I don't want to have to send a full statement for my account as Carnival is on the 2nd or 3rd page of holdings.  Too much personal info in there, they don't need to know my financial details. 

How are people in similar situations handling this?  How do you provide proof of share ownership when its in something like an RRSP or TFSA thru your bank?

I've not been faced with this problem as my portfolio does not include cruise line shares. I also do not use my bank for investment purposes. Have you asked your bank whether they can generate a statement limited to the cruise line holding?

37 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I've not been faced with this problem as my portfolio does not include cruise line shares. I also do not use my bank for investment purposes. Have you asked your bank whether they can generate a statement limited to the cruise line holding?

That was my next step but I figured maybe someone here had the answer and would save me from being on hold for who knows how long....

• Like 1

Can you not copy only page three of your investment portfolio and black out what is not relevant?  We do not have this problem as we hold our shares of CCL and RCCL in private accounts.

I use my accounts holding information as proof of ownership.  If there are other stocks listed I either black them out or leave them.  Does Royal really care about my 1000 shares of Nortel? LOL

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Magicat said:

I use my accounts holding information as proof of ownership.  If there are other stocks listed I either black them out or leave them.  Does Royal really care about my 1000 shares of Nortel? LOL

I blank out everything (advisor, acct #, holdings, type of account, client info etc) Just leaving my name address, investment company logo, and the shares in CCL or RCL  and statement date. 

If you are taking multiple segments, the shareholder's benefit is available for each segment. I just list each segment on the fax form. 

Also as Elite on Princess the free wifi is privilege is for each segment  if you have multiple segments. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 5:18 PM, Magicat said:

As others have stated we black out the info that is not needed by the cruise line.   We just leave our name and the proof of stock ownership.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine are held within my TFSA,s.  Whenever I need a copy I just ask my bank representative to print out a sheet with the bank’s letterhead showing my 100 Carnival shares along with the current date. It also shows my account no., (which I black out), and my address.

In one case with Princess they accepted my statement 14 months before the cruise!  Holland America prefers a statement closer to 6 months or less. 

Your statement can be photocopied and used on more cruises during the year. The statements are for the current year, but in most of my cases I have sent them in one year for a cruise the following year without a problem.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/23/2021 at 10:06 AM, Magicat said:

Mexico8, interesting name. Are you here in Mexico too?

I am a little late answering .....   We have spent years in Puerto Vallarta (and other places in Mexico) over the past 40 years or so.   We spend every winter there.  I think we have spent about 5 years total there over all that time.  Our second home - we love it.

• 2 months later...