Flight into Athens...question please

Lois R

Hi folks, for any of you going to Greece, I have been researching and there is a protocol (or so it seems) that you have to fill out a form on the Gov.Gr website before you arrive.......is this normal?  I have flown to other European cities and honestly do not remember having to fill out anything on line before flying to whatever city you are going to first.  Just wondering if any of you have done this before? Flying into Athens July.........

Thank you.

I’m wondering that myself (also flying in July) because I also saw that. I think it’s Covid related, so it could change by the time we fly. Idk, we booked our air with the cruise line, I figure they’ll send out any information I need to worry about. Especially since we haven’t gotten our final itinerary (the cities keep changing when I check), I figured everything is still in flux. 

45 minutes ago, jas283a said:

I’m wondering that myself (also flying in July) because I also saw that. I think it’s Covid related, so it could change by the time we fly. Idk, we booked our air with the cruise line, I figure they’ll send out any information I need to worry about. Especially since we haven’t gotten our final itinerary (the cities keep changing when I check), I figured everything is still in flux. 

Hi, I booked my air through the cruise line as well......I went ahead and filled out the form and actually got a confirming email already.  I think you are correct about it being Covid related though. The email says this started back on in July 2020.  And that another email will come the day before I arrive, but I will be on a flight by then......(flying out a day early).  Well, I won't stress about it and will speak with my gal at the cruise line.

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I booked my air through the cruise line as well......I went ahead and filled out the form and actually got a confirming email already.  I think you are correct about it being Covid related though. The email says this started back on in July 2020.  And that another email will come the day before I arrive, but I will be on a flight by then......(flying out a day early).  Well, I won't stress about it and speak with my gal at the cruise line.

How funny my wife and I also flying out a day early, too.  Are you on the NCL Jade?  If so, maybe we'll see each other in Athens or on the ship.  Maybe I'll fill out that form, just in case.  It seems like every time I turn around, the rules and requirements keep changing, so I'm just not stressing...

• Like 1

Hi,🙂 nope, not sailing together.  I am on Silversea, their brand new ship is THE MOON😀.

When is your cruise? I am flying out on July 6th...gets to Athens on the 7th......sailing on the 8th.

This will only be her 3rd sailing........can't wait!

We were booked on Azamara Pursuit departing Athens on the 10th of July but it was cancelled so we booked Celebrity Apex which is departing on the 9th of July. Since we had our flights all we gave up was a pre-cruise night in Athens. This cruise is shorter so we will have 3 post cruise nights in Athens. I haven't heard anything about a pre-flight form or declaration. We are both vaccinated.

Good morning,🙂 yes, I realized it all more clearly after re-reading everything. I filled out the form on line.

COVID has caused many changes (with more to come) so folks are well advised to carefully check the rules not only for their final air destination, but also review requirements to transit through European airports (many of which currently require a new COVID PCR test).  

For those of us who have continued to travel though out the Pandemic, double checking on each country's rules has become routine.  Since the rules are always changing, folks need to check a couple of months before their trip and then keep checking every week for changes.  The new recommendations approved today by the European Commission are going to result in many changes over the next few months (most changes for the better).

Hank

On 5/18/2021 at 2:41 PM, Lois R said:

Hi,🙂 nope, not sailing together.  I am on Silversea, their brand new ship is THE MOON😀.

When is your cruise? I am flying out on July 6th...gets to Athens on the 7th......sailing on the 8th.

This will only be her 3rd sailing........can't wait!

Ours is at the end of the month, fly out the 23rd, get in 24th, sail on the 25th. Here’s hoping everything keeps opening up!

On 5/18/2021 at 4:36 PM, jas283a said:

How funny my wife and I also flying out a day early, too.  Are you on the NCL Jade?  If so, maybe we'll see each other in Athens or on the ship.  Maybe I'll fill out that form, just in case.  It seems like every time I turn around, the rules and requirements keep changing, so I'm just not stressing...

We are on the Jade leaving out of Athens on July 25th.  We are also flying out a day early.  Couple from Ohio.

We cannot say this enough.  Folks taking international flights need to constantly review the changing policies of each destination country including any country that you might transit (even if you stay within the airport).   And yes, Greece has an app (another reason why folks need a working Smartphone) that is supposed to filled out in advance (Greece will send you an e-mail the day you are to arrive with a QR Code that will get you through the initial entry process).   And beware of any country that requires a negative PCR Test within 72 hours of arrival.  The type PCR Test that is often required can take 48-72 hours to get the results which would normally be sent directly to your phone (another reason to have a working Smartphone).  Just finding a place to get those PCR tests can be a challenge (especially on a Sunday) and you may need to make an appointment well in advance.  And a PCR test can cost $200 or more in some places.

But whatever rules you read today might change tomorrow so you do need to stay on top of things.  Also keep in mind many of the protocols being used around the world involve using a Smartphone.  In some cases there are ways around the phone issue, but it can become complicated and time consuming.  This is why we keep suggesting that folks might want to have T-Mobile since their service works in about 210 countries without an extra monthly fee or special subscription.  

Hank

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, saltshell said:

Read the e-mail, thanks for the link. I am totally vaccinated. Am I correct to assume I still need to complete form?

Yes, if you look at the Welcome area.....it states all visitors need to complete the form. I have been fully vaxxed since early in the year.

I will again repeat my refrain which is folks need to check with their airline and also check transit requirements for any country where you will be changing flights.  Just today I happened to be on the phone with a rep from Seabourn Cruises (they have a ship cruising out of Pireaus starting in early July and the first words out of the rep's mouth was "check with your airline about any testing requirements that the airline might impose."  

As to Greece, there is an online form (you can download it from the Visit Greece site that must be completed by each family within 3 days of arrival into Greece.  The Greek Government will send you a confirming e-mail (once you have completed and submitted the app) and will e-mail you a QR Code (which you keep on your phone) sometime after midnight on the day of your arrival.  That QR code is used to get you into their country.   Many folks may not actually receive that QR code until they are airborn (or upon landing) which will be a problem for folks who still think they can travel without a working Smartphone.  I do not know how Greece will handle cases that do not have the QR code (or who have failed to complete the required app but you can be sure that at the very least it will cause an unpleasant delay at the entry airport.

Hank

• Like 2

Hi Hank......I spoke with my rep at Silversea today and she has a family who is sailing together but they got separated at the Athens Airport......the kids (grown children).....were able to get through with the confirmation from filling out the form without the QR code.......I am thinking once you get your confirmation you are then in the Greece records on their end.  So maybe they are taking things into consideration for someone who may not have a smartphone.  I would say make sure to bring a copy of the completed form with you.  They have got to realize their may be glitches..............

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update (and correction) on the current Greek procedure.  Their "PLF" form can be submitted, online, anytime prior to 11:59pm of the day before your entry.  The Greek government will then send out the PLF Document with the QR Code on the day of your scheduled arrival in Greece (this is done at midnight Greek Time).   The Greek government instructions make it clear that the PLF Document is "only valid with the QR Code."

The instructions also say that if your flight departs the day before your scheduled arrival in Greece (which means you may not yet have received your QR code) you can use your PLF confirmation e-mail to board your aircraft.  So this is another one of those procedures where your airline becomes the authority (you need to hope they know the rules) as to whether you can even board your flight.   What is not said is what would happen if you are departing on the same day as your arrival in Greece (Greek time) and do not have a QR Code.  Just looking at the current time zones, we would expect to get our QR Code around 5pm EDT (which is midnight Greek time) several hours before we board our flight to Greece.  

I should mention that the PLF (Passenger Locator Form) is actually quite simple and asks for your basic information, arriving flight info, and where you will be staying for the following few days.   For those that want to try to work through this process without a functioning Smartphone,...well good luck.  Also keep in mind that you will need to get an Antigen test prior to flying back to the USA.  Where you get that test is up to you and would depend on whether you plan on staying in Greece after your cruise.  If you don't have a Smartphone you would somehow need to get a hard copy of your test results (not always easy to do depending on where you get tested).  

One other tidbit.  We recently heard from Seabourn that those doing back to back cruises will need to get tested (onboard) prior to their 2nd cruise.  So at this point we are talking about a minimum of three antigen tests (one prior to boarding the ship, one between cruises, and one prior to flying home).  In addition, the Greek government is randomly testing folks upon arrival at the airport.

One final reminder (this tip came from a Seabourn rep).  Folks need to be very careful to check on the rules for any country you might transit on your way to Greece.  Some countries do have testing requirements that may apply to even those in transit (changing flights).  So, for example, if you happen to be changing flights at Heathrow I believe you would need a negative RT-PCR test done within 3 days of your flight.

And most important of all is you might consider this post my guideline based on what info I have at the moment (July 11).  All these rules can change at any time so everyone really needs to be on their game and check every darn rule right up until the day you travel.

Hank

• Like 1

There are european countries that require plf. In Greek airports authorities check actually every single passenger's plf and EU digital Certificate (or proof of vaccination for non EU travelers). In some other european countries they are not so strict. Tourists though are usually moving inside Greece, going from one place to another, so the plf makes locating them easier, as aforesaid. After you apply in the official gov site you receive the plf in a pdf file in your email the midnight before your trip. If the vaccination is not EU approved you may be required for a free rapid test inside airport. For example all Russians vaccinated with Sputnik V,  are now required for a (free) rapid antigen test and cannot enter even with proof of vaccination and PCR test performed at departure.

From personal experience the arrivals volume at Athens airport is less half of what it was pre-covid and the required tests are performed quickly and safely, like documentation checking. You will be just in time at the baggage belt!  

4 hours ago, mcondition said:

There are european countries that require plf. In Greek airports authorities check actually every single passenger's plf and EU digital Certificate (or proof of vaccination for non EU travelers). In some other european countries they are not so strict. Tourists though are usually moving inside Greece, going from one place to another, so the plf makes locating them easier, as aforesaid. After you apply in the official gov site you receive the plf in a pdf file in your email the midnight before your trip. If the vaccination is not EU approved you may be required for a free rapid test inside airport. For example all Russians vaccinated with Sputnik V,  are now required for a (free) rapid antigen test and cannot enter even with proof of vaccination and PCR test performed at departure.

From personal experience the arrivals volume at Athens airport is less half of what it was pre-covid and the required tests are performed quickly and safely, like documentation checking. You will be just in time at the baggage belt!  

Thanks for the informative post.  Perhaps you can answer a question and give some advice.  We will soon be entering Greece for a 2 week cruise and later spending some time island hopping to Naxos and Paros.  The night before we are to fly home to the USA we are staying at the Sofitel located near the airport.  We will need to get an Antigen test before our flight (it is a requirement of the US Government) and our thinking is that the evening before our flight we would simply walk over to ATH and get our Antigen tests at the airport location.   Does this make sense or should we make some other plan to get that test.

Hank

3 hours ago, Lindancer said:

I believe the Greek PLF is one per family.  Please tell me I'm not wrong!

Yes, the current PLF is one per family and has a place to add any family members traveling with you.  There is also a newer PLF form (called PLF Marine) for those of us taking ferries from the mainland to islands.  That form is somewhat different and requires a single form for each adult!  Go figure.  As always I suggest that folks need to check the specific requirements for themselves as they seem to be changing by the day, week, etc.   

Hank