Yes, I am TOTALLY Crazy, But Felt I had to be on the First Alaska Cruise July 24

LAFFNVEGAS

Congratulations on your upcoming cruise!!   So excited to see a “live from” thread.  Can’t wait to read any information you can provide.  We will be out on our deck north of Seattle cheering you on.  Thrilled to see the ships sailing again.  Hoping to head to South America 2022

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zelker said:

I DID IT!!!  I printed out our luggage tags!!!  😁 

For no other reason than I wanted to see them and touch them and hug them and kiss them and ...  well, you get the picture!  We now have something concrete (besides a Visa bill) that says "we're going to embark a DAM ship in less than 3 months!!"  

LOVE THIS!!! ❤️  lol, it made my husband laugh.

I would have printed out ours as well but my stupid printer that is only a few months old quit working and I need to call Geek Squad to help me figure out what is wrong, I have paid their high fee but the wait time to get a Geek to help get it working via phone takes a few hours and I just have not had the time to spend waiting. But I really must breakdown and do it soon.

• Like 2

Can’t wait to read your “Live From...” Have a wonderful time!

If it weren’t for the long trek flying cross-country with a service dog, I’d be on board, too!  (We’ve done it before & will be taking her to San Diego in January for Konigsdam to Hawaii, but it’s just more hassle than I’m up for this summer. I just flew to DC on business - airports, planes were jam-packed).

Wish HAL were starting up from Florida, too, this summer! Driving to the port is so nice.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 1:20 PM, bobpatj said:

Ooops!  Sorry I meant the August 7th sailing, this year!

So are we!  Should be a good cruise, with fewer people in Alaska.  We have been in Ketchikan and Juneau previously when there were 6 ships in port.  Not this time.  See you on board perhaps. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 5:14 PM, atexsix said:

Mine are listed on MyChart, I have no idea how it got there because I did not schedule through them, I went through Walmart pharmacy.  It lists which vaccine I received along with the dates of the first and second doses.  It states it's based on what my clinic has on file for me.  I have an appointment coming up in early June and I'm going to ask about it.

Walmart is apparently planning on partnering with a smartphone app, but so far there's no instructions on how to access it, they are also controversial. 

If the pharmacy and doctor's offices dates match the dates on the cards I would think it would suffice until such time something more universal is in place.  But so far there's no indication from HAL that anything more than the card will be required, at least until the Florida issue is resolved.

Likely it was entered into a State Immunization Registry. Most, if not all, have one. For some programs their use is required here in California. It allows participating schools and medical  offices to check records. Providers can use it to manage their vaccine supply.

On 5/23/2021 at 11:27 AM, zelker said:

Ours includes the Lot #, along with our name, birthdate, vaccine manufacturer, date administered, and where administered.  Not sure if it's the case everywhere in the US, but here in Colorado that info was also sent from Walgreens to our healthcare provider so we can see that information when we log into our respective healthcare providers' websites.

CDC requires this information to be entered on the card. It was part of the required training before we could work as a vaccinator in our local clinics (PODs). The same type of information is required for our State registry when the provider who gives the vaccine enters the shot. Historical records might not contain that information. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Likely it was entered into a State Immunization Registry. Most, if not all, have one. For some programs their use is required here in California. It allows participating schools and medical  offices to check records. Providers can use it to manage their vaccine supply.

CDC requires this information to be entered on the card. It was part of the required training before we could work as a vaccinator in our local clinics (PODs). The same type of information is required for our State registry when the provider who gives the vaccine enters the shot. Historical records might not contain that information. 

Thank you.  I did reach my doctor earlier this week and they confirmed the information was sent to them from Walmart Pharmacy and they will give me the documents at my next appointment.  

On 5/23/2021 at 9:01 AM, atexsix said:

All during the lockdowns I would do things like that.  I didn't call the patio the Lido, but I'd refer to dinner as first or second seating depending on what time we ate.  Silly I know.  But those were dark depressing times, all we had were our memories because we didn't know when we'd be able to cruise again.

Lisa said it was emotional booking her Alaska cruise in July, I completely get that!

LOL

I started folding those little “points” in the TP when I finished cleaning the bathrooms. It took a couple weeks, but finally my DH said something about it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

LOL

I started folding those little “points” in the TP when I finished cleaning the bathrooms. It took a couple weeks, but finally my DH said something about it.

I love it!  

I think we miss the MDR the most, it's quite rare for us to wine n dine, so when we get on a ship, the MDR really is the life as far as we're concerned.  

I also found myself dreaming, literally, about being on a ship.  I think all of us frequent cruisers have a sentimental attachment to ships in general, but especially our favorites, and I was always wondering where the Eurodam was, and if it was being taken care of.  Actually I don't think she ever was in cold layup, I don't know if any of HAL's ships were.  

• Like 1

Not to get too giddy about it, but I log on about a hundred times a day to see if shore excursions or other enhancements are available for booking.  I must have just hit the sweet spot because when I logged on today, they had excursions for Juneau -- and only Juneau.  When I went back to look again just now to see if more were added, even Juneau was gone.  But they must be coming soon!  Makes it seem real!  😍

(I wish I would have done a screen shot of Juneau, but of course didn't think it would disappear. But it was Mendenhall Glacier, Tracy's Crab Shack...the usual suspects.)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Not to get too giddy about it, but I log on about a hundred times a day to see if shore excursions or other enhancements are available for booking.  I must have just hit the sweet spot because when I logged on today, they had excursions for Juneau -- and only Juneau.  When I went back to look again just now to see if more were added, even Juneau was gone.  But they must be coming soon!  Makes it seem real!  😍

(I wish I would have done a screen shot of Juneau, but of course didn't think it would disappear. But it was Mendenhall Glacier, Tracy's Crab Shack...the usual suspects.)

A few days ago the only excursions listed were for Icy Strait Point. Then earlier today the Icy Strait Point excursions were not listed but excursions for Juneau were listed. Now they are all gone again.

When trying to go through the Check In process it makes it to "Contracts" and then a message comes up about that being available later. You can print up your Luggage tags though.

Also, the Navigator App still shows us booked on the Eurodam with the old booking number. HAL continues to struggle with keeping up with technology changes.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

A few days ago the only excursions listed were for Icy Strait Point. Then earlier today the Icy Strait Point excursions were not listed but excursions for Juneau were listed. Now they are all gone again.

When trying to go through the Check In process it makes it to "Contracts" and then a message comes up about that being available later. You can print up your Luggage tags though.

Also, the Navigator App still shows us booked on the Eurodam with the old booking number. HAL continues to struggle with keeping up with technology changes.

Oh, that's funny. Gotta admit, I've never seen things unveiled this way before. Maybe the team is rusty.  They'll get there!  lol

• Like 1

HAL is also transferring the excursions that those on the Oosterdam had reserved. They need time to see how many spaces that will involve. Some being transferred are declining, so the number of excursion spaces needed is in flux right now.

• Like 1

Question for you folks:  How does the Nieuw Amsterdam compare to the Westerdam and Oosterdam? 

We have been on those two, but not on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I think I read she was refurbished fairly recently.  We will be on her 3rd Alaska Sailing this year, August 7th.  And frankly we CANNOT WAIT!!   Thanks in advance for any insights. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

I did not catch the Icy Strait Point but was taking a good look at Juneau yesterday. 

But on the Navigator App....mine shows our cruise that was to be July 11th on the Nieuw Statendam, saying just 42 days lol that has been canceled now for over 3 weeks but shockingly it now does show 55 days to the Nieuw Amsterdam July 24th and 97 days to the September 24th Nieuw Amsterdam so that is actually an improvement from when I looked at it earlier this past week when yes the September still showed Eurodam and the July 24th did not show at all. But I guess until HAL actually cancels in their system the Nieuw Statendam it will not come off the Navigator app.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I did not catch the Icy Strait Point but was taking a good look at Juneau yesterday ...

Hey, Lisa.  This was the only ISP excursion that showed up - suspect it will come back once they get all the excursions posted.

Seafood Feast & Tribal Dance Show

Icy Strait Point, Alaska

Duration 2 hrs

Watch a traditional tribal performance that reflects the long and fascinating history of the Tlingits as a prelude to a feast of fresh seafood and other classic Alaskan dishes.
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 8:06 PM, zelker said:

I called HAL an hour ago and was told she couldn't book it until tomorrow although she did give me pricing for two categories.  We're hoping for the August 21st sailing, in either an SS or a V.  Not surprised July is more $ than September either.  Did you get an aft-facing VB?

I forgot to ask when I called - are they offering the Have It All promo on these?

Thanks for sharing the info!

Barb

We have two aft cabins booked for August 21 on the Rotterdam deck.  Let me know if that's where you book. We could be neighbors! We had rescheduled ours from last May and are so relieved that this sailing will happen. 

32 minutes ago, Mrsfrz said:

We have two aft cabins booked for August 21 on the Rotterdam deck.  Let me know if that's where you book. We could be neighbors! We had rescheduled ours from last May and are so relieved that this sailing will happen. 

There’s a roll call started for the 8/21 sailing if you’re interested. We’re on Deck 7 but forward of the aft elevators.

• Like 1

We are booked on the July 24th cruise too after several disappointing cancellations.  I am trying to get some clarity on the information on HA website.  It says you must be vaccinated AND have a covid test before sailing.  Does anyone know if HA will be giving these covid tests at the terminal OR if they will need to be done 72 hours before cruise.  If HA isn't conducting the covid test, is there a test type requirement --Rapid, PCR?  Excursions are also not posted yet.  If I am reading HA information correctly you are not allowed to do private excursions.  If anyone has any information OR answers to the above questions please share!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri2 said:

We are booked on the July 24th cruise too after several disappointing cancellations.  I am trying to get some clarity on the information on HA website.  It says you must be vaccinated AND have a covid test before sailing.  Does anyone know if HA will be giving these covid tests at the terminal OR if they will need to be done 72 hours before cruise.  If HA isn't conducting the covid test, is there a test type requirement --Rapid, PCR?  Excursions are also not posted yet.  If I am reading HA information correctly you are not allowed to do private excursions.  If anyone has any information OR answers to the above questions please share!

I am not seeing anywhere on the HAL website that is recent information regarding a covid test. My understanding since everyone MUST be vaccinated there will not be any requirement for a covid test.

This is basically all it states for the most recent information.

7-Day Alaska Cruises From Seattle, Departing July 24th

Open for booking May 21, Holland America Line cruises to Alaska are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and have proof of vaccination.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Terri2 said:

Also the CDC has already cleared the cruise ships for allowing private excursions. Maybe someone else has the actual link to that information that the CDC has already cleared.

• Like 2

I was looking at the information on the HA website under "Traveling & Staying Healthy" Covid 19 Protocols.

Re: Mandatory Covid Testing

"Mandatory enhanced pre-embarkation health screenings, including 100% testing for COVID-19 prior to embarkation, touchless temperature checks and health questionnaires, in accordance with the latest guidelines."

Re: Excursions

"We’re working with local authorities, destinations and tour operators so that the enhanced health and safety measures on board are maintained ashore. We will follow the health protocols for every port we visit. There may be a reduction in the capacity of excursions and tour vehicles. Only shore excursions that comply with our prescribed protocols will be permitted, with strict adherence required of all guests and denial of re-boarding for any guests who do not comply."

39 minutes ago, Terri2 said:

I was looking at the information on the HA website under "Traveling & Staying Healthy" Covid 19 Protocols.

Re: Mandatory Covid Testing

"Mandatory enhanced pre-embarkation health screenings, including 100% testing for COVID-19 prior to embarkation, touchless temperature checks and health questionnaires, in accordance with the latest guidelines."

Re: Excursions

"We’re working with local authorities, destinations and tour operators so that the enhanced health and safety measures on board are maintained ashore. We will follow the health protocols for every port we visit. There may be a reduction in the capacity of excursions and tour vehicles. Only shore excursions that comply with our prescribed protocols will be permitted, with strict adherence required of all guests and denial of re-boarding for any guests who do not comply."

This is really old (March if I remember correctly) and not specific to Alaska at all since Alaska was just released less than 2 weeks agol. They'll be putting out all kinds of information within the next month or so ... we'll all just have to be patient. 

• Like 2