Alaska Tourism Recovery Act

david,Mississauga

On the Holland America forum (and perhaps others) there has been considerable discussion about this. There is a temporary waiver of the PVSA to allow cruise ships to operate from Seattle to Alaska without calling at a Canadian port. Of course this is not relevant to Cunard, but I am amused  that the Queen Elizabeth appears on the list of 51 ships which are granted this waiver. Cunard long ago cancelled this year's Vancouver-based Alaska season.

Perhaps this waiver anticipates the possibility of an extended Canadian port closure through next year, though I certainly hope that is not the case. Or maybe as encouragement to Cunard to run an Alaska service in 2021. They had plans for that in the past.

According to the Senator who sponsored the bill, it suspends the PVSA for sailings to Alaska through February 28, 2022.  Although it passed both the House and Senate it still has to be signed by the President. 

It may be too late to salvage the Alaska season for Cunard and other lines as the logistics to take a ship from layup to full service are formidable.   (And is Seattle even set up as an embarkation port? )

1 hour ago, BlueRiband said:

According to the Senator who sponsored the bill, it suspends the PVSA for sailings to Alaska through February 28, 2022.  Although it passed both the House and Senate it still has to be signed by the President. 

It may be too late to salvage the Alaska season for Cunard and other lines as the logistics to take a ship from layup to full service are formidable.   (And is Seattle even set up as an embarkation port? )

The expiry date of the waiver is the same date that the ban on cruise ships in Canadian ports is set to end.  It is rare that any cruise ships call or turn-around in Canadian ports between November and February. 

There appear to be very cruise ships that will operate between Seattle and Alaska starting near the end of July. Holland America, Princess and Carnival have one each.

Cunard's planned 2021 Alaska season from Vancouver (which Cunard cancelled before the Canadian government extended the ban through summer) was to operate from 22 June to 2 Sept.

1 hour ago, david,Mississauga said:

Cunard's planned 2021 Alaska season from Vancouver (which Cunard cancelled before the Canadian government extended the ban through summer) was to operate from 22 June to 2 Sept

Perhaps the QM2 could attempt to salvage some of this season. It could be in Alaska by mid June I am sure if they decided it might be viable to place it there.

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Perhaps the QM2 could attempt to salvage some of this season. It could be in Alaska by mid June I am sure if they decided it might be viable to place it there.

I'd like that too but she only went to the US west coast once, early in her career.  She would have to sail around Cape Horn.  There is only a narrow window of tidal circumstances where she could fit under the Bridge of the Americas at the Pacific entrance of the Panama canal.  Or, go through the Suez and sail trans-Pacific.  Either way it's a very long fuel-consuming trip.  That would nix any profitable operation of QM2 for an Alaska season.

Edited by BlueRiband
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I think it highly unlikely that any ship laid up many thousands of miles away from the Alaska will be redeployed on short notice. The QM2 is scheduled to resume service with an Atlantic crossing from Southampton in November.  I have never seen a ship the size of the QM2 in Alaska, although I can't say there hasn't been one.

I wouldn't want Cunard to become accustomed to cruising out of Seattle. We are booked on the QE for an Alaska cruise from Vancouver next year.

On 5/22/2021 at 6:17 AM, BlueRiband said:

Certainly Seattle is an embarkation port, mostly for round trip cruises to Alaska.  Has been for years.  At least two piers. 

https://www.portseattle.org/maritime/cruise  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

On 5/22/2021 at 8:51 AM, ace2542 said:

I don't think QM2 is on the list of ships in the bill.

Roy