Overnight stop half way?

Csardas

We're driving to Southampton for our July cruise from Ayr, a 7 hour plus stops, slog. We're not in a hurry and have booked the night before the cruise in Southampton. Any suggestions for a nice overnight en-route halfway?  I had thought of Stratford as I've never been there before but any recommendations are welcome!

1 hour ago, Csardas said:

We're driving to Southampton for our July cruise from Ayr, a 7 hour plus stops, slog. We're not in a hurry and have booked the night before the cruise in Southampton. Any suggestions for a nice overnight en-route halfway?  I had thought of Stratford as I've never been there before but any recommendations are welcome!

When we used to go to Cornwall as a kid we used to stop at Tewkesbury. At night time you could probably do the run in about 5 hours, 4 and half even.

The Old Swan at Minster Lovell, near Oxford. I have never stayed there, but the village is peaceful and delightful, and, if you are old enough to remember him, it is apparently where Harold and Mary Wilson spent their honeymoon.

• Like 1

Mostly, we take the Caledonian Sleeper from Glasgow.

We always have champagne with cheese and biscuits for a late night supper. At EUS we are met with our driver (after showering) and he gets us to the docks around 11:30 am. Usually, we're on board around midday.

It's a much more relaxed start to the holiday.

We've driven twice (in less than 6 hours) and stayed in Soton , but the train is hard to beat.

Stewart

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

The Old Swan at Minster Lovell, near Oxford. I have never stayed there, but the village is peaceful and delightful, and, if you are old enough to remember him, it is apparently where Harold and Mary Wilson spent their honeymoon.

Sadly, I am...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

We always have champagne with cheese and biscuits for a late night supper. At EUS we are met with our driver (after showering) and he gets us to the docks around 11:30 am. Usually, we're on board around midday.

We've driven twice (in less than 6 hours) and stayed in Soton , but the train is hard to beat.

Stewart

Agree, but as it's only a 4 nighter we're turning it into a road trip, there and back.

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

Stewart

Where does that train stop? Does it call into Preston or Liverpool Lime Street?

Edited by ace2542

7 hours ago, North West Newbie said:

The train passes through Preston but passengers cannot join the train there. The nearest station is Carlisle.

Would they make a request stop at Preston do you think?

10 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Would they make a request stop at Preston do you think?

Notwithstanding the challenge one is likely to face trying to reach someone with the necessary authority, I doubt the operator would be willing or able to grant a request to stop there just to pick up passengers.

• Like 1

Normally we're looking for something closer to Southampton. Bicester, Oxford, Reading, Aldermaston, to head for the ship the next morning. But that's not what you want.

We have stopped at the Holiday Inn at Haydock, and various Travel Lodge/ Travel Inn/ Premier Inns on that stretch of the M6. But they're more just a place to sleep.

We have had a couple of nights in Blackpool. Went dancing at the Tower Ballroom. It was Oct. or Nov. so the illuminations were on.

On 5/22/2021 at 10:20 AM, Csardas said:

I had thought of Stratford as I've never been there before but any recommendations are welcome!

Since you mention Stratford we once broke the journey at Studley Castle Hotel which is about 10-12 miles away. It has been taken over since then and had a very major refurbishment so I don't know what it's like now.

Let us know what you do, and how it went. We're always looking for recommendations as well.

Edited by Colin_Cameron