When are flights added?

Pendle Witch

Not surprised the April ones are not there yet. The schedules are possibly not even out yet. Generally though I would expect to see them 10 months out, but bear in mind how things currently are and likelihood of change.

My Jan 22 LHR to FLL and Lima to LHR via Amsterdam are on my booking (Which I'm a bit surprised at - and I'm fairly confident the cruise will become my 6th covid Victim.

My late October flights are listed on mysilversea but I can't access them on the airline page.  I think that Silversea won't pay for them until 60 days out and then I'll be able to book seats and add frequent flyer numbers.  Of course, this is in coach class.  Business might be different.

In the past my TA has said she couldn't book business class air through Silversea until 270 days ahead.  We got the air for our Nov Athens to Dubai booked in March. However, we have no air for our February Sydney to Singapore cruise (slightly under 270 days out). It is probably more likely to be cancelled than our Nov cruise. When I last spoke to my TA about the Feb cruise we agreed to re-visit the air (and a land portion I am planning) in mid to late summer. 

1 hour ago, caradara said:

My late October flights are listed on mysilversea but I can't access them on the airline page.  I think that Silversea won't pay for them until 60 days out and then I'll be able to book seats and add frequent flyer numbers.  Of course, this is in coach class.  Business might be different.

That's been my experience too.  You can see the flights but you don't have a confirmation number to choose seats until about 45-60 days out when the confirmation will appear under the "Documents" tab in My Silversea.

6 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

That's been my experience too.  You can see the flights but you don't have a confirmation number to choose seats until about 45-60 days out when the confirmation will appear under the "Documents" tab in My Silversea.

Does anyone know if this is the case even if you’ve paid your cruise in full in advance?  I am considering paying in full for a trip next year and wondering if (hoping ) I’ll be able to select seats when the flights are booked. 

For our Antarctica cruise this December, SS started booking air exactly 9 months in advance (mid-March for a mid-December departure); some people on the same cruise got them a few weeks later than we did. In our case, I was able to see a PNR number on My Silversea. This number is different than the airlines' record locator numbers, but a call to the two airlines involved (American going, Delta returning) and the one it was booked through was able to translate the SS PNR number into their record locator number. Then it depends on the airline's policy in terms of seat selections. Seats were automatically assigned (this is business class, not sure if it's the same in coach). On American, I could have changed them, but it seemed SS had booked nearly the entire business class cabin, so there was nowhere to move to; on Delta, they said we could change seats after the airline paid for the tickets (probably 45-60 days in advance), or for a $50 per person fee.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mchell810 said:

Does anyone know if this is the case even if you’ve paid your cruise in full in advance?  I am considering paying in full for a trip next year and wondering if (hoping ) I’ll be able to select seats when the flights are booked. 

Hi, I am not 100% sure but I don't believe it matters if you are paying in full in advance. I think it has to do with the airlines, not the cruise line.   If those flights are not released to the cruise line then they won't have the info to give to us (the passengers).  I know they do have a contract with the airlines but as for the release date?

I honestly don't believe SS has the control over release dates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I am not 100% sure but I don't believe it matters if you are paying in full in advance. I think it has to do with the airlines, not the cruise line.   If those flights are not released to the cruise line then they won't have the info to give to us (the passengers).  I know they do have a contract with the airlines but as for the release date?

I honestly don't believe SS has the control over release dates.

Thanks for your response. I know many (but not all) airlines require the ticket to be paid in order to select seats; so with other cruise air flights one could pay the fare to pick seats if need be.  I suppose Silversea will wait until the last moment to pay included flights and I won’t be given an earlier option. (Of course, I’ll try anyway.) 

We are business class on the October 2021 Lisbon to Barcelona, and have had those flights for quite a while now, I haven’t looked at booking our seats though, I’d have thought in business class they would put couples together automatically. We are in business again next April, Venice to Rome, and there’s nothing up yet for that. We paid in full when booking for a discount.

• Like 1

Ask your TA for your ticket's "record locater" (usually a series of numbers or numbers/letters).  Then input that into the airline's website to search for your trip.  I have my record locater for November and was able to switch seat on United as well as add my FF #.  No such luck on Lufthansa but it appears I've been assigned a window which is fine.  Cruise is due to be paid in July.

I typically monitor flights/seats at least once a month and once a week the month before sailing.  I had a United flight canceled a few days before a cruise and was never notified.  Called UAL and was able to reschedule but talk about heart attack city!  Then there was the time AirFrance canceled the day before the flight...called TA who fixed it.  That is why I typically let Ss book flights now.

Looking at my cruise for October as well and the flights are on there too. I forgot about that one😮

Now, who knows if those will be the same flights when they actually "ticket it".

We've had our Sept. flights & seats available for quite a while now.  Enough so that they were changed by Delta to a crazy itinerary & re-done.  Who knows how many times they will be changed again?  Yes on the record locator - you may be able to select your own seats using that # the carrier website.  Be sure & check seatguru.com for bad seats.  Yes on checking them frequently & alerting your travel agent.  It's a strange travel world right now.

Oh my, I just realized my flight home was changed.........I never received an email about it. Will be speaking to SS today.  I originally had a 1:00pm flight home out of Lisbon which would have been perfect..........Delta has made changes and now it shows 10:00am😲👎..........I seriously doubt I can make a flight that early!!!!!!

Just thought I would post a follow up.....I am still waiting to find out about my flight home. I may end up staying in Lisbon overnight post cruise due to the flight situation. So the follow up is still up in the air but suffice to say, catching a 10am flight on the day we arrive in port is not really feasible. From what my gal at SS told me there are other flights but they are like a triple connection😲......no thanks.

I am sure one more night in Lisbon would not be so bad🙂

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

catching a 10am flight on the day we arrive in port is not really feasible.

I'm interested why you say that. If you need to check in at the airport by 8 am, and the airport in Lisbon is fairly close to the cruise terminal (about 5-10 miles depending on which cruise terminal SS uses, but under a 30-minute trip in any case), you can typically expect to be off the ship by 7:30 am to get a cab/car to the airport in time. Of course, that leaves no leeway for any delay in arrival, so if you're not comfortable with cutting it that close, I'd understand -- but it does seem feasible. (And you're right that an extra day in Lisbon doesn't sound bad.)

2 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

I'm interested why you say that. If you need to check in at the airport by 8 am, and the airport in Lisbon is fairly close to the cruise terminal (about 5-10 miles depending on which cruise terminal SS uses, but under a 30-minute trip in any case), you can typically expect to be off the ship by 7:30 am to get a cab/car to the airport in time. Of course, that leaves no leeway for any delay in arrival, so if you're not comfortable with cutting it that close, I'd understand -- but it does seem feasible. (And you're right that an extra day in Lisbon doesn't sound bad.)

Why do I say that? Well, I prefer to have some extra time without stressing.....what if there is a problem with the ship clearing? Who knows? But 10:00am? Even my SS rep doesn't recommend it. (She is a long time personal friend as well)....so you are correct, I don't really want to have to be in a "hurry, hurry mode" on the morning of disembarkation..

• Like 1

Lois, I agree with you on the possible stress of getting to the airport.  We have faced the same situation in Lisbon & opted for an overnight (Intercontinental) & a less stressed departure the next morning arranged by the hotel.  It's kind of nice to have a day to decompress anyway for the imminent return to the real world.  It seems to me though that if Silversea arranges your flights, they provide the bus transfer to the airport IF you are flying out that day.  Maybe that has changed though?

Hi, yes, transportation from the ship to the airport is included if you are flying out the same day.

They will still book my flight home but I will just arrange a car to take me to the airport the next day.  I am waiting for more information.  Lisbon must not be a very big airport and flights are all over the place. Trying to find the most convenient one. 

1 minute ago, sea bright said:

If you book the hotel through SS the transfers both to the hotel and to the airport should be included (at least that was the case in our past experience).

Even on the day after? I have used SS hotels in the past as well but normally I fly home the day of disembarkation.