QM2/National Symphony Orch. Crossings

Neuhoftraveler

We are considering the classical-music-themed crossing in 2022, but the Cunard website gives no details on the number or nature of performances to be offered.  Has anyone on this board ever taken one of those voyages, and can you provide any information and comments?  If you still have the daily program sheets, it would be wonderful if you could post them.

Thanks in advance for any information and advice.

25 minutes ago, Neuhoftraveler said:

We are considering the classical-music-themed crossing in 2022, but the Cunard website gives no details on the number or nature of performances to be offered.  Has anyone on this board ever taken one of those voyages, and can you provide any information and comments?  If you still have the daily program sheets, it would be wonderful if you could post them.

Thanks in advance for any information and advice.

Mrs Bear and I have done the NSO crossing twice, in 2017 and 2019 - and are booked for 2022 as part of the Norway and Northern Lights sailing.

Anthony Inglas conducts the NSO for two evening performances [early and late seatings for each] with the first night featuring American composers.  The second night is the 'Last Night of the Proms' featuring British composers and the passenger chorus. [The Captain is invited to 'conduct' some familiar tunes]

"Passenger chorus?" you say - yes. There are several daytime sessions beginning with division into parts and distribution of sheet music, followed by three rehearsal sessions. If sufficient numbers of passengers volunteer, the chorus is divided for first and second seatings,  [For 2019 I was in the back row, all the way to the right - Mrs Bear was all the way to the left]

There are daytime performances in the Royal Court by quartets and soloists , plus Anthony I has a popular lecture in the Royal Court [crowd too big for Illuminations].

NSO members also could be spotted in other daytime and evening venues - including joining in with the band in the Queens room or the jazz combo in the Golden Lion. Our table was next to the big 'hosted; table in the Britannia - and NSO members filled that table on non-performance nights [On the return crossing, the RADA actors has the hosted table for the last formal night]

We took the westbound HAM - SOU - NYC in October 2018.  The folks in Hamburg love the QM2 and we had quite the send off.  I joined the choir along with 200 others so the group was split in two.  The orchestra does two shows in one evening so we had 100 in each.  Cunard hands out small flags so from the stage we faced a sea of union jacks being waved, great atmosphere.  The choir sat quietly at the back of the stage while the orchestra played until it was our turn to sing.  There were 400 Germans on board and many of them love to sing.   I had one on either side of me, charming guys, fluent English.  They were singing 'Rule Britannia' with gusto.  The orchestra played the 'Dam Busters March' and it was on the tip of my tongue to say to them "Gee, sorry 'bout that" but I bit my tongue instead.  It's possible they didn't recognize it.  Capt. Christopher Wells demonstrated that he has no future as a symphonic conductor, better stick to steering the ship but full marks and a jolly good sport for trying.  For me, it was one of our most memorable sailings.  Don't know if I still have the daily programs, I would have to do some digging.

• 2 years later...

I was thinking of taking this cruise in October of this year. I saw the video that somebody posted of a prior performance with the chorus and it does not look like a full orchestra maybe 20 to 30 members. I know this is an old thread, but could somebody please clarify if the full hundred piece orchestra is on board plane or is it a scaled down version.

Also Watching the video, it didn’t sound very good. Any more insight into this would be great. Thanks. 

17 minutes ago, Mawcruiser56 said:

I was thinking of taking this cruise in October of this year. I saw the video that somebody posted of a prior performance with the chorus and it does not look like a full orchestra maybe 20 to 30 members. I know this is an old thread, but could somebody please clarify if the full hundred piece orchestra is on board plane or is it a scaled down version.

Also Watching the video, it didn’t sound very good. Any more insight into this would be great. Thanks. 

We enjoyed the symphony's two concerts a few years ago. It was a scaled-down orchestra of close to 30 musicians. But it was sufficient for the Royal Court Theatre. That was enough to almost fill the stage, leaving room for the volunteer passenger choir.  I hope to enjoy them again some time.

2 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

We enjoyed the symphony's two concerts a few years ago. It was a scaled-down orchestra of close to 30 musicians. But it was sufficient for the Royal Court Theatre. That was enough to almost fill the stage, leaving room for the volunteer passenger choir.  I hope to enjoy them again some time.

I didn't do a head count - but there was a full orchestra with players in Strings, Woodwinds, Brass & Percussion sections.

The Matinee concert is filled out by adding Cunard musicians from the Royal Court and Queen's room.

Things were a little tight on stage for 'the Last Night of the Proms' when the passenger chorus was added - I'm in the Bass section all the way to the back, stage right.

26 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Last year, they made a big fuss of English National Ballet performing.

We went once. There were only 6 of them.

Bit of a damp squib as far as I was concerned, although others raved.

I totally agree. Luckily I had just booked a 14 night TA for dates that worked for me. I would have been very underwhelmed if I had booked especially.To me it was just an added bonus to the usually entertainment offerings but certainly nothing to write home about. 

3 hours ago, Mawcruiser56 said:

Just think what you are asking can you imagine a full 100piece orchestra on stage in the theatre. It is obviously a scaled down orchestra but is excellent and possibly the best crossing we have ever done.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Just think what you are asking can you imagine a full 100piece orchestra on stage in the theatre. It is obviously a scaled down orchestra but is excellent and possibly the best crossing we have ever done.

Likewise, our crossing with the NSO was the best. In addition to the surprise of  the orchestra being on board (it had not been advertised in the North American market) we were in Queens Grill for the first time. A further bonus was being seated at the same QG restaurant table as the maestro.