Christmas Cruises. Or: How to surprise the kids with a cruise after a pandemic?

EMOSEA

Hubby and I have taken a few kid-free cruises, and think our kids are old enough to really enjoy one now, so we booked a little cruise for the day after Xmas 2022, four-day on the Carnival Radiance (still a ways away, but I like to plan ahead, lol). 

In previous years that we've done a family vacation for Xmas we surprised them with where we're going on Xmas morning with a themed gift and reveal. Last year those plans got cancelled because of covid (Great Wolf Lodge), so we planned that for them this year and they already know about it. 

With so much uncertainty still, do you think we should surprise the kids this xmas with the cruise reveal for next year, or would you wait and do it like the we did the previous years (reveal on Xmas and head off on our vacation)? A part of me feels like this is something we might need to prepare them for longer than our usual trips, and a part of me will miss the way we did things before with the excitement on Xmas Day and heading off on our adventure. But also, we just don't know what cruises are going to be like in 2022 yet and we might have to be prepared to make adjustments for that. 

Finally, if you've done a surprise cruise for a holiday or birthday or something for your kids, I'd love to hear what you did! 

How old are the kids?  I would think that the older they get, the longer time they would like to get ready.  Especially if some are girls.  Perhaps you could pick another holiday for the reveal, such as Thanksgiving...  EM

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

How old are the kids?  I would think that the older they get, the longer time they would like to get ready.  Especially if some are girls.  Perhaps you could pick another holiday for the reveal, such as Thanksgiving...  EM

They're all boys. They'll be 15, 13, 11, and 8. 

I once booked a cruise more than a year in advance and told the kids, they were like why are you telling us now, it’s so far away. On the other hand, teenagers tend to make their own social plans, and a last minute surprise over a school break might not go well. My oldest was 14 on our second cruise, she was doubtful she’d have fun without her friends (she loved it), so a last minute surprise wouldn’t have been a good idea (we did a super last minute WDW surprise a few hours before our flight when the kids were 4, 4, 6, 9 and 11, before the teen years).

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with telling them sooner.  We just booked a Christmas 2022 cruise yesterday, and immediately told our son (11).  But as this is their first cruise, I can understand wanting to wait a bit too! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Personally, I would wait since it is so far out.  Thanksgiving next year might be a great time to surprise them if you want to give them some notice.  The kids won't really need to do any planning or preparation on this.  They can simply get on and start having fun!!!  I think it would be an amazing Christmas surprise.

The only thing I would think of to tell them earlier would be if you want them to give some opinions on excursions.  But, you and your husband can probably pick the ones you know they would enjoy without telling them ahead of time.  

• Like 1