Edge sails on June 26?

Jeremiah1212

27 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Why do I have this feeling Celebrity will have this all resolved prior to departure and we won't have to pay a thing, especially if we're on one of their excursions. But, as with everything, time will tell.

Being on one of their excursions will not change the Bahamas requirement. What they are charging you for is health insurance while on there land. I think nothing more than a way to make some catch up money, nothing more. The only requirement they changed since it was required. You do not need a nasal covid19 test within 5 days of arriving on the island. Now they accept the vaccinated card copy via email when filling out the form and paying. I booked a cruise for July and then I find this out. Wanted to just stay onboard and not get off. Nope! You mist have it before boarding the ship.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

So what is the difference in these first sailings and pre covid sailings?  I would assume the first ones are at reduced capacity?  Are there any other restrictions on vaccinated cruisers?

I think you still need distancing and wearing masks inside if not drinking or eating. Guess we will all know after this one.

2 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I think you still need distancing and wearing masks inside if not drinking or eating. Guess we will all know after this one.

If the ship is over 90% vaccinated - why would masks and social distancing be required? Doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Being on one of their excursions will not change the Bahamas requirement. What they are charging you for is health insurance while on there land. I think nothing more than a way to make some catch up money, nothing more. The only requirement they changed since it was required. You do not need a nasal covid19 test within 5 days of arriving on the island. Now they accept the vaccinated card copy via email when filling out the form and paying. I booked a cruise for July and then I find this out. Wanted to just stay onboard and not get off. Nope! You mist have it before boarding the ship.

Sounds like a ransom payment.

3 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

So you’re saying that the Bahamian government is going to charge those who choose to stay on board the ship $40 each? That's ridiculous if we don’t step foot on Bahamian soil.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Just curious since the Edge cruises were just officially authorized by the CDC yesterday, what cruise did you book and who specifically told you it didn't apply if you stayed onboard?

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious since the Edge cruises were just officially authorized by the CDC yesterday, what cruise did you book and who specifically told you it didn't apply if you stayed onboard?

I e-mailed our TA to see if Celebrity has notified them and what the procedure be. I'll post when I get an e-mail back tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Benjo8 said:

Regarding DeSantis' order about barring mandated vaccinations as a prerequisite, Federal Maritime Law may supersede (as we lawyers say) any State laws involving cruise ships that stop at ports outside the departure state. I'm no Maritime lawyer but I think DeSantis may be a loser on this one. And better for those cruising if he is, IMO.

CDC is trying to undermine  FL laws regarding vac passports by making cruiselines require full vaccination.

7 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

I e-mailed our TA to see if Celebrity has notified them and what the procedure be. I'll post when I get an e-mail back tomorrow.

As of 2 hours ago none of these items are finalized yet. Hopefully by next week. 

1 minute ago, ISABELLA said:

CDC is trying to undermine  FL laws regarding vac passports by making cruiselines require full vaccination.

Funny, my understanding was the CDC and the cruise lines were trying to keep the cruise passengers safe since the COVID pandemic is still very much an ongoing issue, especially at the wide variety of ports the various cruise lines will be visiting as well as Florida.

If you can believe it, Florida is still reporting around 2,000 new cases a day.

Have we flattened the curve in Florida? - Johns Hopkins (jhu.edu)

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Funny, my understanding was the CDC and the cruise lines were trying to keep the cruise passengers safe since the COVID pandemic is still very much an ongoing issue, especially at the wide variety of ports the various cruise lines will be visiting as well as Florida.

We are way under 2000/day new cases in FL with very low hospitalization and death rate. I am for safe cruising and vaccinations. If everyone is vaccinated, why masks and social distancing is required? 

22 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That's down from 8,000 cases as little as 2 months ago.  50% of Florida is vaccinated.  The daily positivity is down to around 4% this last week is under 4%, Johns Hopkins has a cumulative average, showing 5.1%, yes the curve has flattened and it's flattening more with every week.

Florida's COVID-19 Data and Surveillance Dashboard (arcgis.com)

Edited by Gracie115

13 minutes ago, ISABELLA said:

We are way under 2000/day new cases in FL with very low hospitalization and death rate. I am for safe cruising and vaccinations. If everyone is vaccinated, why masks and social distancing is required? 

They are not required if at least 95% are vaccinated.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/25113-cdc-significantly-relaxes-cruise-rules-for-fully-vaccinated-passengers.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gracie115 said:

That's down from 10,000 cases as little as 2 months ago.  50% of Florida is vaccinated.  The daily positivity is down to around 4% the last weeks under 4%, Johns Hopkins has a cumulative average, showing 5.1%, yes the curve has flattened and it's flattening more with every week.

I'm glad your state is starting to get COVID under control. However, we would much prefer to go on one or more of these early cruises out of Florida where at least 95% of the passengers are verifiably vaccinated. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I'm glad your state is starting to get COVID under control. However, we would much prefer to go on one or more of these early cruises out of Florida where at least 95% of the passengers are verifiably vaccinated. 

These early Edge cruises appear to have empty inside and outside category cabins. So there will be an automatic passenger reduction = less crowding in all venues for dining and entertainment = easier check-in and debarkation................WIN - WIN!!!!!

8 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

These early Edge cruises appear to have empty inside and outside category cabins. So there will be an automatic passenger reduction = less crowding in all venues for dining and entertainment = easier check-in and debarkation................WIN - WIN!!!!!

We know. They are going to be great!!

Florida presently has a full vax rate of 38%, not 50 as posted above.  50 may be the % of Floridians who have received  just1 shot, while the 38% has been calculated for folks who have received either both doses (Moderna or Pfizer)  or the just 1 shot vaccine by J&J.

There has been a plateauing of the vax rate as most of the early demand was met, and now procrastinators, undecided and the anti vax crowd remain unprotected. No lines anywhere for shots.

The Gov of Florida may throw cold water of Celebrity's sailing resumption though:  

In an emailed response on Thursday to questions from TPG, DeSantis press secretary Christina Pushaw suggested vaccine requirements for sailings that Celebrity Cruises announced Wednesday as part of a plan to restart cruising from Florida on June 26 are in violation of Florida law, and the line could face massive fines if it moves forward with the requirements.

Florida man strikes again!

21 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Florida presently has a full vax rate of 38%, not 50 as posted above.  50 may be the % of Floridians who have received  just1 shot, while the 38% has been calculated for folks who have received either both doses (Moderna or Pfizer)  or the just 1 shot vaccine by J&J.

There has been a plateauing of the vax rate as most of the early demand was met, and now procrastinators, undecided and the anti vax crowd remain unprotected. No lines anywhere for shots.

The Gov of Florida may throw cold water of Celebrity's sailing resumption though:  

In an emailed response on Thursday to questions from TPG, DeSantis press secretary Christina Pushaw suggested vaccine requirements for sailings that Celebrity Cruises announced Wednesday as part of a plan to restart cruising from Florida on June 26 are in violation of Florida law, and the line could face massive fines if it moves forward with the requirements.

Florida man strikes again!

I’m still at a loss as to why this guy is trying so hard to keep the cruise industry from restarting in his state?  What possible good will it do, except for keeping the revenue from the cruises delayed and eliminated.  This just makes zero sense?

I want to book, but will not if the cruise lines have to cancel their cruises, not because of COVID, but the Governor won’t let them because they’re trying to keep their passengers safe.  This is crazy!

• Like 4

I have no inside knowledge.  But, I believe Celebrity (or any other cruise line) can easily require the CDC COVID vaccine proof by having a passenger upload a scan of their CDC card along with their passport number upon online doc info.  I know I have a digital record of my vaccine manufacturer, date of vaccine, dose number and the person/place who administered it that I carry in my digital wallet on my iPhone.  It has a bar scan to prove the info is correct, too.

There are several companies popping up who are verifying COVID vaccines and people vaccinated.  Mine was done by gogetvax.com.  I’m betting cruise lines are licensing this same technology.  You send your info on line….easy-peezy!

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I have no inside knowledge.  But, I believe Celebrity (or any other cruise line) can easily require the CDC COVID vaccine proof by having a passenger upload a scan of their CDC card along with their passport number upon online doc info.  I know I have a digital record of my vaccine manufacturer, date of vaccine, dose number and the person/place who administered it that I carry in my digital wallet on my iPhone.  It has a bar scan to prove the info is correct, too.

There are several companies popping up who are verifying COVID vaccines and people vaccinated.  Mine was done by gogetvax.com.  I’m betting cruise lines are licensing this same technology.  You send your info on line….easy-peezy!

This is what will happen, you will need to upload it 2 weeks out and they will verify. No pesky cards shown at the port.  Just upload they will get back to you with verification.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

This is what will happen, you will need to upload it 2 weeks out and they will verify. No pesky cards shown at the port.  Just upload they will get back to you with verification.

Agree!

10 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I agree and while I don't hate DeSantis as so many here do I think his Executive Order on not allowing requirements for vaccines is ridiculous and especially for cruising.....  I hope he reverses it or at least makes an exception for cruises.....which after hearing the morning news and his comments appear not likely so who knows what will happen when Edge starts sailing out of Florida.

• Like 2