Royal Caribbean’s “Tracelet” being used for cruises

10 hours ago, rolloman said:

Tracelet...hmmm maybe the initial usage will be for Covid tracking but I can assure you upon continued use it will be utilized as a marketing device for understanding your habits onboard. 

It could buzz and let you know there are booze specials in the liquor store as you approach 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

But you will most likely carry the most Orwellian device that all of us own 24/7, your cell phone....right.

and posting on a website that is collecting all the information about us! At least the tracking in the tracelet has some benefit in that it help to minimize disruption of the cruise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Nope. Our phones are turned off and in the safe the entire cruise.

I think you are missing the point, which is unsurprising. The Government already knows when you are on a cruise. The phone would be pointless to a Government that wanted to track you once on the ship.. they will do their tracking when you are not on the ship via your phone.

Here is a pro tip... they (Govt.) don't care what you are doing, you are not that important.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

You entirely miss the larger point. The issue is that you do not know the ramifications of being identified as been in the same space as a contact. You passed someone in a passageway, you were on an elevator with someone, the person on a lounger next to you in the solarium, the person next to you in the Schooner bar. Now you are confined to your cabin no matter that you feel perfectly fine.

Now, do you get the concern with this" first world" problem?

No, I still don't. They have not laid out specifics, so any concern about what you mentioned would be hypothetical. 

Ok before this thread went other places, someone asked for a link to an RCL page or statement that gives definitive guidance on whether the wearing of these bands would be required for US departures.  I never saw such posted.  Did anyone else?

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

And they can simply require everyone to be vaccinated and the whole issue, and the what if's, go away. Modern medicine.... there is your technology.... but I might be biased.

This is absolutely the answer. Oh well.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Marygracie C. said:

Listen I think I have finally figured this out!People who want to cruise no matter what will and those of us who are not good with being "monitered"won't.Silly to argue but I hope not to see many of you on evening news when you either get Covid from unvaxed or go nuts from being treated like "Ned in the third grade"Imagine paying big monies to be watched while on vacation.

I promise you... all I have to do is put on a speedo. They will stop watching! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

At the end of the day.  You can agree with the rules of the cruise contract or take it to the Bahamas court to get a ruling.  Because once you are on that ship you are under the rules of the country that the ship is registered under. I think its been that way for a long time now as far as contracts go.  Personally I don't really see the issue considering you are being monitored all the time anyways by cameras etc.  This will all be a thing of the past when all children can be vaccinated which will probably happen by august at the rate they are going because at that point it will be 100% vaccinated cruises for this line. So 2 months or so is a minutia of time in the scheme of things.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

No, I still don't. They have not laid out specifics, so any concern about what you mentioned would be hypothetical. 

Hypothetical just like most of what we talk abour lately. If you don't care about being confined to your cabin only because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time so be it.  Medicine has taught me to consider possibilites ahead of time and not to wait until they slap you in the face.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Marygracie C. said:

I ,for one ,would not like to wear a tracelet or any other Orwellian device ever;Ever!!!

Oh you sweet summer child. In a ship you're already being monitored 24/7 except inside your cabin. Ships have literally thousands of cameras and microphones all over the ship. On land your phone, computer and use of internet already collecting more data about your behavior and whereabouts that you could ever imagine.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, coldflame said:

Oh you sweet summer child. In a ship you're already being monitored 24/7 except inside your cabin. Ships have literally thousands of cameras and microphones all over the ship. On land your phone, computer and use of internet already collecting more data about your behavior and whereabouts that you could ever imagine.

I mean it really will come down to letting the free market decide what's acceptable.  You can agree to the cruise contract or not plain and simple.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Hypothetical just like most of what we talk abour lately. If you don't care about being confined to your cabin only because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time so be it.  Medicine has taught me to consider possibilites ahead of time and not to wait until they slap you in the face.

That is the prudent thing to do especially in times like these.  While the CDC says that if fully vaccinated you don't need to isolate or test if in contact with a covid person will the ship follow that advice or make you isolate, wear a mask, not go ashore at port or test multiple times?  Personally I don't want to pay to find out.  At least on land you are not contact traced (unless you downloaded the app) and if the protocols are not what you want you can pack up and go somewhere else (even Universal has done away with masks now).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, coldflame said:

There is a difference.  When cameras and microphones are used there has to be a live body either playing the footage back to look for something or monitoring it constantly.  If contact tracing they would have to look for each instance where the covid positive person was and then identify each person who was in contact with that person for x amount of time and within x distance.  On land you are not required to have your phone on you all the time like with a tracelet. Some people even leave their phones at home or in the car.  Some people don't have a computer or only use it occasionally,  There is a difference between what data could be gathered about you and voluntarily wearing or downloading something that actively tracks you.

4 minutes ago, Keksie said:

There is a difference.  When cameras and microphones are used there has to be a live body either playing the footage back to look for something or monitoring it constantly.  If contact tracing they would have to look for each instance where the covid positive person was and then identify each person who was in contact with that person for x amount of time and within x distance.  On land you are not required to have your phone on you all the time like with a tracelet. Some people even leave their phones at home or in the car.  Some people don't have a computer or only use it occasionally,  There is a difference between what data could be gathered about you and voluntarily wearing or downloading something that actively tracks you.

I agree this could be used to gather more information like how long you have been at certain bars or restaurants, might even greet you by name when you step up to the bar or restaurant(Disney was doing this).  But again, the market will decide whether its acceptable as I am not sure there is any law in the Bahamas that prevents this.  

20 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

I agree this could be used to gather more information like how long you have been at certain bars or restaurants, might even greet you by name when you step up to the bar or restaurant(Disney was doing this).  But again, the market will decide whether its acceptable as I am not sure there is any law in the Bahamas that prevents this.  

It will be interesting to see what happens after the first rush of "I want to cruise no matter what protocols are in place" people with booked cruises have had their cruises.  Will they rebook another cruise?  Will there be enough to rebuild the cruise industry?  Will the people with children, the people who don't want to take a chance on a disrupted cruise or extra protocols book?  Will the people who are still afraid of being places with other people book?  Will the people who are taking other vacations enjoy them so much they won't go back to cruises?  At some point the cruise lines need full ships cruising every week to make a profit.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

I promise you... all I have to do is put on a speedo. They will stop watching! 

A sight to see I am sure!!!! When we go to Sarasota beaches with my sister/husband the males in speedos(must weigh at least 300 plus)is breathtaking !?! Thank you for making us laugh;needed it.

43 minutes ago, Keksie said:

It will be interesting to see what happens after the first rush of "I want to cruise no matter what protocols are in place" people with booked cruises have had their cruises.  Will they rebook another cruise?  Will there be enough to rebuild the cruise industry?  Will the people with children, the people who don't want to take a chance on a disrupted cruise or extra protocols book?  Will the people who are still afraid of being places with other people book?  Will the people who are taking other vacations enjoy them so much they won't go back to cruises?  At some point the cruise lines need full ships cruising every week to make a profit.  

Yeah, there are so many factors. Time being one of them.  if everyone is eligible to get a vaccine then the bracelet thing is doesn't make sense from a viral perspective.  Which should be very soon at the rate we are going as far as age eligibility.  Then at that point it won't be a matter being quarantined due to contact with another passenger and more to do with can they track and record what I am doing on the ship?  That questioned can only be answered by the country the ship is flagged under.  I assume they can or the Bahamas would have told them no.  But before then at least in these next 2 months the market should dictate what people want to do.  Each line also doesn't have this bracelet thing so will Carnival get more business in the next 2 months with unvaccinated passengers and no tracelet. They have some rough policies regarding if you test positive when trying to get back on a ship at a port.  The cruise contracts that so many people disregarded in the past will now be carefully scrutinized to see what can happen to them if they fail a test etc. or get contract traced near someone who was positive.     

I have a question the wow bands only work on the newer ships so is it plausible that the traclettes will only work on those ships as well and the people who "received the email " are those who will be cruising on Quantum out of Seattle,  which is already using the traclettes?

Edited by mauraoel

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

There's no inherent difference. You're voluntarily choosing to go on a cruise. No one is obligating you to go on one. If you do, you're choosing to abide by the rules of the owner and operator of said cruise and local authorities of course. To say this is Orwellian is the most ridiculous thing I've heard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

I honestly don’t believe the “tracelet” actively tracks you. It only records the ID numbers of the other trackers in your vicinity. When one of those other trackers have a “Covid event” only then the data is observed and those with a proximity issue are identified. 

Just food for thought, I still won’t cruise with them without knowing the threshold for an event and the follow up protocol. 

1 hour ago, mauraoel said:

I have a question the wow bands only work on the newer ships so is it plausible that the traclettes will only work on those ships as well and the people who "received the email " are those who will be cruising on Quantum out of Seattle,  which is already using the traclettes?

The WOW bands work an a different technology platform than the tracelets.