Has anyone sailed with NCL to South Africa including a Safari?

chromered7

Hi we are we are in the very early planning stage for a Safari and Cruise to South Africa for 2023 . Has anyone used this cruise line for this type of cruise and/or have any advice? We have never considered NCL before but always  choose a cruise based on itinerary first and then the ship.

Hello, I'm booked on the 18 day Cape Town-Dubai January 2023.. We will be doing a safari pre-cruise. I had a next cruise to apply or I would lose it. To be honest, I haven't done any research on this yet as it's so far in the distance I don't want to be disappointed if it is cancelled.

We did an 18 day on the Jade from Amsterdam to London via Norway a few years ago and found the Jade to be a great size for a long port intensive cruise. 

There is a roll call for this cruise here, and there is also a roll call for RT Cape town if that is the cruise you are booked on.

This is the roll call for Cape Town-Dubai:

Norwegian Jade Roll Call - January 26-Feb 13, 2023 - Norwegian Jade Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Community

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

Personally I would contact a local company for the Safari portion. We did a Safari in Tanzania with a local company and it was fabulous. We found the company on tripadvisor. Doing a private tour with a local company was approximately the same cost as doing a group tour with an American based operator. 

• Like 3

We are booked on a 12 day Cape Town cruise in Jan 2022.  Our plan is to get to South Africa 10 days before the cruise, do a Safari in Kruger Park and explore some of South Africa before getting on the ship.  

We have never been on a Safari before but our understanding is that the best game viewing is very early in the morning and at dusk.  These times will make it difficult to get a good safari experience as a shore excursion.

I am following this thread with great interest as would love to hear what others have experienced!

Fingers crossed that our cruise will be a go and I will be able to post a review 🤞!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deefer said:

We are booked on a 12 day Cape Town cruise in Jan 2022.  Our plan is to get to South Africa 10 days before the cruise, do a Safari in Kruger Park and explore some of South Africa before getting on the ship.  

We have never been on a Safari before but our understanding is that the best game viewing is very early in the morning and at dusk.  These times will make it difficult to get a good safari experience as a shore excursion.

I am following this thread with great interest as would love to hear what others have experienced!

Fingers crossed that our cruise will be a go and I will be able to post a review 🤞!

You will absolutely love Kruger.  We stayed at Hippo Hollow and went out two days on Safari, saw everything we had hoped to and more.  Best trip ever.  Nothing to do with a cruise, but just wanted to encourage you on your safari.

• Like 3