Large Groups

Ugaaucruisers

Mostly you can’t find out if a large group will be on your sailing

sometimes you can find whole-ship charters advertised on line

but large groups usually don’t advertise because they are not open for outsiders to book— family reunions, corporate group booking, clubs, and the like are almost impossible to find

Edited by cruisestitch

If it's an upcoming cruise this year, most ships are not offering interior or oceanview (or very very few oceanview) rooms for booking at the moment. They may open up closer to sailing as capacity limits potentially get raised.

We sailed on a cruise with 'cougars and pups'. My wife and I were in a whirlpool across from each other when a young 'pup' started making a play for her. I just sat back and watched her brush him aside. Funny thing, it took about two days for my shin to feel better from the wallop she gave me. I suppose I deserved it, but at the time it was a very funny moment. 

• Haha 1

Often a large travel agency or credit card company or time share company will reserve a large block of rooms on a particular sailing and then offer those staterooms with a promotional discount.  At some point they release any unsold rooms back to the cruise line as the time approaches 'final payment date.'

On one of our ill-fated Princess cruises, a certain religious sect/organization booked/chartered a large number of rooms.  They were everywhere trying to proselytize the non-believers, tables in the common areas selling paraphernalia, and just general loud, rude behavior.  I found the experience unpleasant and hope not to repeat it again.

On 6/3/2021 at 4:25 PM, Ugaaucruisers said:

How can you find out if a large group is booked on your cruise?  Just curious.

Thanks.

On 6/3/2021 at 4:38 PM, mom says said:

Google the ship and cruise dates. If there is a large group or partial charter by an organization it should show up. But not likely for large family reunions or other informal groups. 

I think googling your ship and dates, as suggested by @mom sayswill get you the best available information.  While informal groups family groups and/or a corporate group won't come up you will know about public offerings. 

That being said I have cruised when a specialized group had about half the ship and it didn't impact my enjoyment at all. If I hadn't known of their presence in advance I don't think I would have even noticed on the ship.  

I have also been on a small ship (700 passengers) where I was part of a group of about 80.  We did have use of a large room a few times during the cruise but mostly when they would not have been in use anyway, such as the MDR in the middle of the afternoon. There was also another group of about 40 on the same sailing.  Their use of "public space" didn't bother me even when it meant I couldn't get a peek at the Drawing Room. Passengers not part of a group may have been annoyed to not get use of a space, but most of those I met seemed interested in our group and didn't mention any complaints.  YMMV

14 hours ago, El Crucero said:

On one of our ill-fated Princess cruises, a certain religious sect/organization booked/chartered a large number of rooms.  They were everywhere trying to proselytize the non-believers, tables in the common areas selling paraphernalia, and just general loud, rude behavior.  I found the experience unpleasant and hope not to repeat it again.

Ugh, this is my worst nightmare!