CDC Talks Collapse

sidari

I really do not want to start a war of words here.  I am honestly questioning and not making this political.  I just look at it from a common sense perspective.  I just do not understand why the governor of Florida is being so stubborn on this matter.  It is really only going to be required for a few months and it will get an industry moving and bringing back a lot of jobs to Florida.  It gives the people that want to cruise the ability to do so if vaccinated and if there are so many people against this requirement the cruise lines will see that in a lack of bookings and pivot to join in the fight with the governor.  But it seems it is at this point hurting both the cruise lines and the Florida economy.  

Edited by Paphillyguy
  • Like 4

Maybe it will just be a waiting game to see what other coastal state wants the Cruise Industry business more than DeSantis wants to feel like he has a six pack everyone likes to look at.

I'm happy to board in North Carolina or New York or any of a hundred other cities that could have an international cruise dock in place in about 3 days.

22 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Maybe it will just be a waiting game to see what other coastal state wants the Cruise Industry business more than DeSantis wants to feel like he has a six pack everyone likes to look at.

I'm happy to board in North Carolina or New York or any of a hundred other cities that could have an international cruise dock in place in about 3 days.

It just stinks for the people that have airfare etc based on a Florida departure.  I understand in the grand scheme of things this is a low worry but it is people's money. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paphillyguy said:

I really do not want to start a war of words here.  I am honestly questioning and not making this political.  I just look at it from a common sense perspective.  I just do not understand why the governor of Florida is being so stubborn on this matter.  It is really only going to be required for a few months and it will get an industry moving and bringing back a lot of jobs to Florida.  It gives the people that want to cruise the ability to do so if vaccinated and if there are so many people against this requirement the cruise lines will see that in a lack of bookings and pivot to join in the fight with the governor.  But it seems it is at this point hurting both the cruise lines and the Florida economy.  

Its impossible to answer your question without getting political, as the only reason he's doing this is politics, and not really caring about the fallout from it.

36 minutes ago, Beardface said:

Its impossible to answer your question without getting political, as the only reason he's doing this is politics, and not really caring about the fallout from it.

I agree that it is hard to answer without getting political but there is a way to discuss politics without getting defensive and arguing.  That seems to be lost the past few years. 

Either side is going to say the other side is doing it for political reasons.  

Edited by Paphillyguy
  • Like 1

Cruises are resuming so this is all just becoming unnecessary noise. This morning Carnival revealed that even they foresee vaccinated cruises being the path forward for now. So they join RCI, Celebrity, NCL, Princess presumably since they are requiring them for Alaska along with many others. No word from MSC but do they ever say anything related to US cruises? At some point hopefully soon the cards will fall and we can move on. 

29 minutes ago, Paphillyguy said:

I agree that it is hard to answer without getting political but there is a way to discuss politics without getting defensive and arguing.  That seems to be lost the past few years. 

Either side is going to say the other side is doing it for political reasons.  

Even worse, people can't seem to distinguish between understanding someone's opinion and agreeing with it. I can see the position Gov DeSantis has on vaccine passports, but as soon as I say that, I have people shouting "how can you defend him???!!!!!"  It's just not worth it anymore. People don't want to listen. (I'm not talking about Cruise Critic here, BTW, I'm talking about life in the non-virtual world)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Even worse, people can't seem to distinguish between understanding someone's opinion and agreeing with it. I can see the position Gov DeSantis has on vaccine passports, but as soon as I say that, I have people shouting "how can you defend him???!!!!!"  It's just not worth it anymore. People don't want to listen. (I'm not talking about Cruise Critic here, BTW, I'm talking about life in the non-virtual world)

I understand why he's doing it, but at a certain point, he's only doing this for the theatre of it all, and not because its the best thing to do for the people and businesses of Florida.  If a privately owned (not government owned) company does not feel comfortable, and their clientele do not feel comfortable opening up without needing proof of vaccine, as was something that was required back during the time of the 1918 Influenza outbreak, then let them.  If the government is telling an industry that they are unsafe to operate with unvaccinated people, it doesn't make sense for another governmental mandate to prevent them from actioning on that guidance.

8 minutes ago, Beardface said:

(...) he's only doing this for the theatre of it all, and not because its the best thing to do for the people and businesses of Florida.  (...)

It's not the best thing for the state.  Giving businesses an easy way to see who has taken this pandemic seriously and who thinks it's a big joke is the obvious thing to do.

Heck, if there was a way to mark people who refused to wash their hands before going into the buffet with a big, scarlet D for diseased I'd be all for it.

• Like 2

Why has such information not appeared on the Message Boards of Princess and HAL?  

6 hours ago, paulh84 said:

Cruises are resuming so this is all just becoming unnecessary noise.

Yes, it is.  

6 hours ago, paulh84 said:

Cruises are resuming so this is all just becoming unnecessary noise. This morning Carnival revealed that even they foresee vaccinated cruises being the path forward for now. So they join RCI, Celebrity, NCL, Princess presumably since they are requiring them for Alaska along with many others. No word from MSC but do they ever say anything related to US cruises? At some point hopefully soon the cards will fall and we can move on. 

I do find it odd that MSC has been SO quiet. I thought with their successful relaunch in Europe that they would have been leading the pack! 🥺

MSC is on record of having all employees vaccinated.  It is a first step.  While they claim to be the "family oriented" line, I can live and cruise with unvaccinated children.  let's just hope we can enter an elevator with totally vaccinated adults.

I agree that MSC USA has been rather quiet lately. I’m going to assume that they’re planning to go the “test cruise” route in place of the 98/95% vaccinated crew/guest condition. Of course I’m taking this from how they’re operating in the UK and Italy. I thought we would hear something this week stating that they had been cleared to perform a test cruise.   

It’s entirely possible MSC may turn out to be the smartest of the cruise lines. Their reluctance (or luck or procrastination) to try and outsmart politicians, bureaucrats and the whims of public opinion on which way to go may serve them well in the end.  They have been able to concentrate on getting their new ships built; and getting back to sailing in their bread and butter market of Europe . 

Yes, I’m upset that I don’t know about my summer cruises.  Yes, I already had four cruises cancelled.  That would have been the same with any cruise line. 

Dennis

• Like 2

13 hours ago, happy cruzin said:

I do find it odd that MSC has been SO quiet. I thought with their successful relaunch in Europe that they would have been leading the pack! 🥺

And yet there have been indications from MSC.

When the updated CDC CSO was released for cruising (March?) and CLIA was posturing, there was a small statement from MSC about MSC had already submitted information and was working with the CDC.

When the 95/98% vaccination guidance was issued and the Miami vaccination clinic opened for ship's crew, the Meravigilia was the first ship in port the night before the clinic opened. The Armonia has also been in port.

Also at the same time, Meravilgia cruises for July which had not been available for booking since around February, suddenly were released for sale.

I expect my cruise at the end of July to happen and would not be surprised if the seven night itinerary was fully  vaccinated. That status may be for no other reason then the fact that Bahamian ports of call are at the end of the cruise when it would be impossible for non-vaccinated cruisers  to have the necessary Bahamas Health visa to show at the port of embarkation.

• Like 1