Mediation between CDC and Florida Collapses

Not sure we expected anything different, but this came out today

"With mediation broken down, the wait is now for the judge to decide on where the case goes next. This could potentially mean several weeks more in the courts, or the judge could decide to give the benefit of the doubt to either party."

Mediation Between CDC and Florida on Resuming Cruises Collapses (cruisehive.com)

Edited by BermudaBound2014

34 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

It was mediation, not arbitration. The mediator tries to broker a compromise between the parties but doesn't have the power to impose a settlement.

My mistake, I thought it was arbitration

2 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

My mistake, I thought it was arbitration

I think once something gets into the courts, it's past the binding arbitration possibility.   I don't think the judge sees a legitimate lawsuit here and was just giving FLA the chance to back out gracefully.  The next step may very well be the judge just dismissing the case.  For this case to be decided, it could potentially wind up at the Supreme Court, which would be many months out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

I think once something gets into the courts, it's past the binding arbitration possibility.   I don't think the judge sees a legitimate lawsuit here and was just giving FLA the chance to back out gracefully.  The next step may very well be the judge just dismissing the case.  For this case to be decided, it could potentially wind up at the Supreme Court, which would be many months out.

The judge will dismiss it

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

The judge will dismiss it

Yep.  It's probably understood by all parties at this point.  There were only two ways that this was going to end.  The parties agree to settle it in mediation or they just go through the motions and wait for the judge to dismiss it.  Dismissal of the case saves face for FLA.  They don't have to withdraw it that way.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mpk said:

There are other ports to embark a cruise from  🙂

Such as? On NCL, they've shut down the Joy from Jamaica and the Gem from the Dominican Republic. That's two embarkation ports inside of a week. Then they switched the Bliss to the Encore and Alaska is in jeopardy based on the CSO and the FL lawsuit. The number of ports NCL is actually sailing from seems to decrease by the day. I'm not feeling very optimistic at the moment. I'm sensing that my hopes of cruising in 2021 are being dashed. (for various reasons, I can't go anywhere after September until most likely next spring).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Such as? On NCL, they've shut down the Joy from Jamaica and the Gem from the Dominican Republic. That's two embarkation ports inside of a week. Then they switched the Bliss to the Encore and Alaska is in jeopardy based on the CSO and the FL lawsuit. The number of ports NCL is actually sailing from seems to decrease by the day. I'm not feeling very optimistic at the moment. I'm sensing that my hopes of cruising in 2021 are being dashed. (for various reasons, I can't go anywhere after September until most likely next spring).

I think the judge ends up dismissing this all together. If he doesn’t and it winds in court, the Alaska season may be over before anything is decided. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RaftingJeremy said:

I think the judge ends up dismissing this all together. If he doesn’t and it winds in court, the Alaska season may be over before anything is decided. 

and that would be very sad for that state.  I mean to have Pres Biden actually get a bill to deviate for a few months on PVA was exciting.  Then to have a governor do something to void that agreement would be that a president was overturned by a governor.  hmmm  not good and just mean ass.

7 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

and that would be very sad for that state.  I mean to have Pres Biden actually get a bill to deviate for a few months on PVA was exciting.  Then to have a governor do something to void that agreement would be that a president was overturned by a governor.  hmmm  not good and just mean ass.

That exemption bill flew through uncontested.  If there's some glitch due to wording, they can just sail another one through to fix it.  Alaska cruising is happening this fall.  I guarantee it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I mean that the season would sail and be over before any court action might be taken.  Like was said before the judge seems to be signaling that the state won’t win and gave them an opportunity. To bow out.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CaptainWoody said:

That exemption bill flew through uncontested.  If there's some glitch due to wording, they can just sail another one through to fix it.  Alaska cruising is happening this fall.  I guarantee it.

good you think so and I hope so too.  I feel the Alaska situation is about border with Canada and not so much about vaccines.

I think cruise lines should be allowed to REQUIRE whatever is needed in their opinion to get on one o their ships - anywhere in the world.

Here in PA where I live, masks are not required but stores can still require if they want to.

basically we all need to come out of this pandemic in a respectful and peaceful way and like the song says "LET IT BE"

toodles    BTQ you do look like a captain if that is your real photo.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

RCL just announced they were definitely cruising in July, so hang in there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KennyFla said:

RCL just announced they were definitely cruising in July, so hang in there.

Not interested in RCL. We have FCC waiting to be used with MSC and a deposit with NCL, those are the only 2 lines I'm interested in. If they cancel, we're done for this year. I have my eye on some potential landbased vacations in Europe but they overlap with the cruises, so it's one or the other. And I'm not putting down a damn penny on airfare or anything else landbased before I know for sure what's happening with my cruises.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

Is it the 15 minutes of your time or the $125 deposit that is holding you back?

Fifteen minutes?????  Some of you are on your fourth, fifth, sixth booking effort and haven't sailed yet.  And it's not looking like a sure thing still.  Keep at it though.  When you get it right, report back on the cruise, and I'll be anxiously listening.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Fifteen minutes?????  Some of you are on your fourth, fifth, sixth booking effort and haven't sailed yet.  And it's not looking like a sure thing still.  Keep at it though.  When you get it right, report back on the cruise, and I'll be anxiously listening.  

Well, to your point, they did cancel one of my cruises in 2020 and two in 2021; so that makes it 45 minutes.  Of course I got 10% off my POA next May as a result, so I was reimbursed about $500 for 45 minutes of "work."  That's over $600 per hour for sitting at my computer and dreaming of cruising.  What an idiot I must be!! 🤑

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CaptainWoody said:

Yep.  It's probably understood by all parties at this point.  There were only two ways that this was going to end.  The parties agree to settle it in mediation or they just go through the motions and wait for the judge to dismiss it.  Dismissal of the case saves face for FLA.  They don't have to withdraw it that way.

Agreed on 2 options. Dismissal or a court case to nowhere in the Supreme Court.  That would take forever and by that time the cruise lines will be sailing full speed ahead and at that point what it is the point of the lawsuit.  

• Like 1