Fort Lauderdale Pre-Cruise Extension

rbslos18

Has anyone done the Viking pre-Cruise extension in Fort Lauderdale. The hotel for our December cruise is the Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort. It is $199.00 per person and includes transfers and breakfast. Because of our arrival time we will not be able to use the beach. Thanks.

I have not stayed there, so can’t answer your question.  And I’m sorry to slightly change the topic.  But we are booked into this pre-cruise hotel too.  And I have been wondering if we will even leave out of FLL, given Florida’s current stance that cruise ships can’t demand all pax be vaccinated, and Viking is demanding all WC pax be vaccinated.  I’m wondering if we will have to leave from somewhere else?  Maybe PR?  

14 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I have not stayed there, so can’t answer your question.  And I’m sorry to slightly change the topic.  But we are booked into this pre-cruise hotel too.  And I have been wondering if we will even leave out of FLL, given Florida’s current stance that cruise ships can’t demand all pax be vaccinated, and Viking is demanding all WC pax be vaccinated.  I’m wondering if we will have to leave from somewhere else?  Maybe PR?  

Very interesting question and insight. However, I wouldn’t be worried!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2021/05/30/florida-governor-ron-desantis-cruise-line-exemption-vaccine-passport-ban/?sh=1bf40d865ed5

Edited by rbslos18

1 hour ago, rbslos18 said:

Actually, the mediation wasn't successful. Everyone is waiting for the judge's ruling hopefully this next week. We are still up in the air. (I'm on a Viking cruise out of FLL in November and have that extension. Hoping to hear more about that extension.

12 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

Has anyone done the Viking pre-Cruise extension in Fort Lauderdale. The hotel for our December cruise is the Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort. It is $199.00 per person and includes transfers and breakfast. Because of our arrival time we will not be able to use the beach. Thanks.

That is a nice hotel but I think the price is a bit high on a per person basis.  Especially if you can't use the beach.  Uber should cost you $15-20 to hotel and then to to the cruise.  If breakfast is in the Mexican restaurant on site, that is a good meal and would probably cost $25 per person.  I ate at the restaurant many times when I was last in Fort Lauderdale.

I would check with Expedia for prices on Fort Lauderdale hotels before booking the extension if money is an issue.  For ease of planning, it might be worthwhile.  

13 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

It’s a good hotel but for $199/person I think you can do better to arrange your own closer to the port.  With two people, taxi from airport and transfers in the morning will be about $40 total.  Surely you can find a decent hotel near the port with breakfast for less than $300?

We have stayed at Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port at 1851 SE 10th Avenue for the past few years...free on points transferred from our Chase Sapphire Reserve Card.  The Hyatt offers a free shuttle from the airport and transportation to the port for a nominal fee.  Uber might be less expensive to the port and can be booked in advance.

The hotel offers a free continental breakfast which is fine for a day or two.  There is shopping and many restaurants within walking distance.

9 hours ago, -Lew- said:

We have stayed at Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port at 1851 SE 10th Avenue for the past few years...free on points transferred from our Chase Sapphire Reserve Card.  The Hyatt offers a free shuttle from the airport and transportation to the port for a nominal fee.  Uber might be less expensive to the port and can be booked in advance.

The hotel offers a free continental breakfast which is fine for a day or two.  There is shopping and many restaurants within walking distance.

Thanks Lew. Normally we would book our own travel. But the cruise is a 45th anniversary celebration.  Just having the ability to walk on the beach, even for one day, will mean a lot to DW. Initially we were supposed to use points to stay three days near the beach and things got complicated with work. So this was a fallback, albeit a tad pricey, but a lot less than the original three days at The Conrad! In the end I may be coming out ahead of the deal!

RB

14 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

Thanks Lew. Normally we would book our own travel. But the cruise is a 45th anniversary celebration.  Just having the ability to walk on the beach, even for one day, will mean a lot to DW. Initially we were supposed to use points to stay three days near the beach and things got complicated with work. So this was a fallback, albeit a tad pricey, but a lot less than the original three days at The Conrad! In the end I may be coming out ahead of the deal!

RB

Under the circumstances, I suggest you stick with the Viking pre-cruise option.

• Like 2

Hotels during high season in Florida can be expensive.... Not rare to see $300 for a 3 star hotel close to the cruise port.

For $400, For the Westin, is not bad at all. We've stayed there when we got stuck by a snow storm. Nice rooms and they have an elevator for easy access to the beach. Sounds like a plan.

• Like 1

Maybe I am used to going the inexpensive route for pre-cruiseing.  We booked our Nov 26th Cruise on Feb 3rd and at that time there were not any extensions offered by Viking.  This is our first Viking Cruise and SO LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.  Being very new to everything Viking has to offer, I booked one night NOV 25th (Thanksgiving) at the Best Western Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port for $100.69.  No it is not on the beach but roughly a $20.00 taxi/uber ride,  There is also a breakfast for two included.  Has anyone stayed at the hotel we chose?  Any suggestions on what to do for the day.  We arrive around noon on November 25th,  No there is not a beach, but I will be happy to be by a pool in November especially living in Minnesota.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Your question about the hotel  will be answered quickly under North America Ports forum. Go to front page of Cruise Critic  to find this forum. 

Congrat on booking your first Viking Cruise. I love Viking, my first choice now for crusing.