Celebrity Website Says Millennium/Summit Out of St. Maarten 8/14-8/21 Cancelled?

tymike

Hi all,

As usual, I logged on to my Celebrity account tonight to check dates, payment etc. for my two upcoming cruises.  

What a surprise!  The website states clearly that my upcoming cruise out of St. Maartin in August has been cancelled.  I know they changed ships as per the email received in the last day or two, but is the whole thing now CANCELLED?   

If so, I lose out on airfare and three nights hotel (two before the cruise and one after.)

The website only says that there will be an email which hasn't arrived yet,  or a link for more information, which leads to nothing helpful.

Has anyone else seen this?  I hope it only has to do with the switch in ships from the Millie to the Summit but it's jarring to see  " Voyage Canceled" 

Any ideas out there?

Thanks all!

3 minutes ago, tymike said:

Hi all,

As usual, I logged on to my Celebrity account tonight to check dates, payment etc. for my two upcoming cruises.  

What a surprise!  The website states clearly that my upcoming cruise out of St. Maartin in August has been cancelled.  I know they changed ships as per the email received in the last day or two, but is the whole thing now CANCELLED?   

If so, I lose out on airfare and three nights hotel (two before the cruise and one after.)

The website only says that there will be an email which hasn't arrived yet,  or a link for more information, which leads to nothing helpful.

Has anyone else seen this?  I hope it only has to do with the switch in ships from the Millie to the Summit but it's jarring to see  " Voyage Canceled" 

Any ideas out there?

Thanks all!

Not to worry.  They all say cancelled due to ship swap, mine included.  Just give them a bit of time to get it sorted.  They have quite a few cruises to swap.

Never get excited about strange things on a cruise line website over the weekend.  If it's wrong, it will probably get sorted out on Monday.  If it's right, you can't do anything about it over the weekend anyway.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Not to worry.  They all say cancelled due to ship swap, mine included.  Just give them a bit of time to get it sorted.  They have quite a few cruises to swap.

Thank you for the reassuring message!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Never get excited about strange things on a cruise line website over the weekend.  If it's wrong, it will probably get sorted out on Monday.  If it's right, you can't do anything about it over the weekend anyway.

Time will tell!  And Monday is soon enough to see what happens!  Fingers crossed.....

1 minute ago, tymike said:

Thank you for the reassuring message!

Happy to help.  Early reports coming in from some of the first impacted cruises are that they are doing same room swaps.  However, I contacted Celebrity right away and was able to procure a better location for my cabin category before they started reassigning the ships.  I'm sure someone is out the premium location that they had booked. 

1 minute ago, iamaqt2 said:

Happy to help.  Early reports coming in from some of the first impacted cruises are that they are doing same room swaps.  However, I contacted Celebrity right away and was able to procure a better location for my cabin category before they started reassigning the ships.  I'm sure someone is out the premium location that they had booked. 

Thank you again for this....

I booked a specific room (at an upgrade price through Blue Chip) and would not like to be moved to a different room.  I'll call as soon as the department is open to inquire about my 'new' stateroom.  

I have to say that when I read the email from Celebrity about the ships changing and it only said that the stateroom category would be the same but that I would get a separate  email with the new stateroom number I was concerned.  I hope Celebrity honors the actual stateroom...especially as the ships are identical.

It's all a little bit exhausting.    I miss the days when planning cruise was a pleasure and not so stressful.   It will happen....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tymike said:

Thank you again for this....

I booked a specific room (at an upgrade price through Blue Chip) and would not like to be moved to a different room.  I'll call as soon as the department is open to inquire about my 'new' stateroom.

I have to say that when I read the email from Celebrity about the ships changing and it only said that the stateroom category would be the same but that I would get a separate  email with the new stateroom number I was concerned.  I hope Celebrity honors the actual stateroom...especially as the ships are identical.

It's all a little bit exhausting.    I miss the days when planning cruise was a pleasure and not so stressful.   It will happen....

Yes, that same cabin category statement made me shake my head.  Dedicated cruisers spend hours researching their cabin categories and locations.  Cruise Critic cruisers know that not all cabins in a category are created equally.  I actually had a crack at the Sweet 16's.  I just didn't want to be that far forward.  Good luck on Monday getting your same cabin assignment!

6 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Yes, that same cabin category statement made me shake my head.  Dedicated cruisers spend hours researching their cabin categories and locations.  Cruise Critic cruisers know that not all cabins in a category are created equally.  I actually had a crack at the Sweet 16's.  I just didn't want to be that far forward.  Good luck on Monday getting your same cabin assignment!

Thank you for your experience and your good luck wishes!  I'll follow up here with my results!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iamaqt2 said:

However, I contacted Celebrity right away and was able to procure a better location for my cabin category before they started reassigning the ships.  I'm sure someone is out the premium location that they had booked. 

Hopefully karma pays you a visit.

• Like 4

Just now, DallasGuy75219 said:

Hopefully karma pays you a visit.

Early bird gets the worm and the better cabin.  
Even Celebrity isn't guaranteeing the same cabin number.  
This isn't a karma situation.  They're selling any available cabin before they even move original bookings.  

7 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Early bird gets the worm and the better cabin.  
Even Celebrity isn't guaranteeing the same cabin number.  
This isn't a karma situation.  They're selling any available cabin before they even move original bookings.  

So let's everyone call in and jam the phone lines trying to get a 'better' cabin before the person who had it on the Millennium can get automatically rebooked into the same cabin on the Summit 🙄

Edited by DallasGuy75219
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, DallasGuy75219 said:

So let's everyone call in and jam the phone lines trying to get a 'better' cabin before the person who had it on the Millennium can get automatically rebooked into the same same cabin on the Summit 🙄

I called the minute I got the email.  Not even a minute wait.  And I called because I was originally booked on the Solstice through the Blue Chip Club.  And the original announcement was that Solsrice bookings would automatically be transferred to the Summit.  Which was not true, as my sailing was canceled.  I received an e-mail from Blue Chip Club offering me multiple options to rebook on, but I chose the same Summit rebooking.  And after the last cancellation,  I wasn't willing to have this sailing canceled as well.  So I took the initiative to call and have my booking transferred.  I didn't jam any phone lines and Celebrity didn't protect cabins, so how is that a me problem?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

So you are wishing Tymike good luck getting their same cabin, you admit that people put time and effort into choosing a stateroom, but you also brag about stealing someone's prime location. What a piece of work 🙄

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Smmessineo said:

So you are wishing Tymike good luck getting their same cabin, you admit that people put time and effort into choosing a stateroom, but you also brag about stealing someone's prime location. What a piece of work 🙄

I didn't "steal" anything.  I rebooked an available cabin location that also happened to be available for anyone making a new booking.  Celebrity isn't guaranteeing same staterooms, just same category.  They announced they were switching ships, then revenue opened up the ships to new bookings before transferring original bookings. 

As a matter of fact, all the sailings are currently open to new bookings, and Celebrity has barely begun the process of transferring original passengers.  If people lose their prime location that falls squarely on Celebrity.

• Like 1

I'm calling tomorrow to check on my cabin assignment.  If they don't honor my original cabin (which again, I paid to upgrade into) then I cancel and just do a land vacation in St. Maarten.  I will not be happy at all if they sold my cabin out from under me.  These ships are sister (identical) ships...there is no excuse for them to change my cabin assignment.

I will update here tomorrow....

Fingers crossed!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, tymike said:

I'm calling tomorrow to check on my cabin assignment.  If they don't honor my original cabin (which again, I paid to upgrade into) then I cancel and just do a land vacation in St. Maarten.  I will not be happy at all if they sold my cabin out from under me.  These ships are sister (identical) ships...there is no excuse for them to change my cabin assignment.

I will update here tomorrow....

Fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed for you.  Just out of curiosity, have you tried doing a mock booking on the Millennium sailing to see if your cabin is available?  
Celebrity really messed up on this one by not blocking booked cabins from both the Summit and Millennium before opening up the ships again to general sales.  

17 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Fingers crossed for you.  Just out of curiosity, have you tried doing a mock booking on the Millennium sailing to see if your cabin is available?  
Celebrity really messed up on this one by not blocking booked cabins from both the Summit and Millennium before opening up the ships again to general sales.  

I have not done a mock booking and quite honestly I don't think I should have to.  I booked a specific cabin...paid to upgrade into that specific cabin and I've done my research. 

If the ships weren't identical I'd feel differently because you can't compare apple staterooms to orange staterooms. 

There is no reason that Celebrity shouldn't honor original staterooms in my  (and others' I'm sure) situation.

BTW...website still says my 'voyage is canceled' on the website tonight.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tymike said:

I have not done a mock booking and quite honestly I don't think I should have to.  I booked a specific cabin...paid to upgrade into that specific cabin and I've done my research. 

If the ships weren't identical I'd feel differently because you can't compare apple staterooms to orange staterooms. 

There is no reason that Celebrity shouldn't honor original staterooms in my  (and others' I'm sure) situation.

BTW...website still says my 'voyage is canceled' on the website tonight.

I understand, and think it's smart of you to call tomorrow.  I feel like I took a ship downgrade in general from Solstice class to M class.  But I've sailed Millie before, and with the ships being Revolutionized was ok with that.  
I think Celebrity is going to have a lot of angry cruisers due to their policy of not swapping identical cabins.  

I looked at our cruise and Sky suites are available, but only as guarantees.  When I looked a a day or two before they announced the swap, there were a few available, so I suspect, that at least in the case of suites, they're selling them, but not specific rooms until they do the swap.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

I looked at our cruise and Sky suites are available, but only as guarantees.  When I looked a a day or two before they announced the swap, there were a few available, so I suspect, that at least in the case of suites, they're selling them, but not specific rooms until they do the swap.

I caved and did a mock booking.  Yes...only Sky suite guarantees available.    So how do people trying to book know what they might be getting?   Are they getting my room if they aren't booking with Blue Chip?   Ugh.   Like I said...I'll call tomorrow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

My sailing has zero suites available, even as guarantees.  So perhaps they are protecting the suite bookings.  But every class of OV and Balcony is available.  And the highly desirable locations in those categories were available as soon as the revenue department opened the new bookings. 

22 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

My sailing has zero suites available, even as guarantees.  So perhaps they are protecting the suite bookings.  But every class of OV and Balcony is available.  And the highly desirable locations in those categories were available as soon as the revenue department opened the new bookings. 

There are then going to be a lot of unhappy people when they get their new bookings I suspect.  I was told they were locking all the sailings.  Guess not.

7 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

There are then going to be a lot of unhappy people when they get their new bookings I suspect.  I was told they were locking all the sailings.  Guess not.

Celebrity was very specific that they weren't protecting staterooms in their email.  They didn't even try to hide it.

Specific to your future sailing in Alaska, our adjusted plans will require a change of ship to Celebrity Millennium which has also recently been refreshed and revolutionized. Your departure date from Seattle, cruise itinerary and stateroom category will all remain the same. No further action needs to be taken on your part as our Customer Service Teams are working to automatically move your reservation to Celebrity Millennium. Once the process is complete you will receive a refreshed booking invoice via email with your new stateroom number. We anticipate it will take us a few weeks to complete all transactions. Feel free to log-in to your My Celebrity account within the coming weeks and check out everything Celebrity Millennium has to offer.

• Like 1

Reminds me of the early days on Southwest when you chose your seats onboard. People first in line at the gate (we often got there 4 hours early) got first pick.

But when they changed gates at the last second, people at the back of the line were out in the hallways and ended up first in the new line.