The Daily for Sunday Jun 06, 2021

richwmn

Hi everyone.   I have been so busy this week.  

ok, gardeners , what to do about the rabbits?  My flowers are being eaten to the dirt. 

Prayer for those who are suffering, comfort to those who are anxious, praise and kudos to those who make our lives easier and safer. 

• Like 14

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@rafinmdyou can remove my DB from the care list for now.  I'll let you know when he has his surgery scheduled.

Thanks.  I hope it's soon.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thanks. 
I bet it was the heat. We were well above 85 most of the summer. Which means I probably don’t have any control on that happening again. ☹️

And thanks for the link!

Could you maybe move them into the garage on the really hot days or in your house?  Not sure what else to suggest if you have that kind of heat.

• Like 11

52 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

please pray for my husband, Sam. He went by ambulance to the hospital with what I think is a stroke.

Carol

Oh Carol, I am so very sorry to hear this 😢 My prayers are with Sam and that it is not debilitating if it is a stroke and a quick recovery 🙏🏻 

• Like 11

36 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Hi everyone.   I have been so busy this week.  

ok, gardeners , what to do about the rabbits?  My flowers are being eaten to the dirt. 

Prayer for those who are suffering, comfort to those who are anxious, praise and kudos to those who make our lives easier and safer. 

Can you put some type of netting around them?

Rabbits are great sniffers and don’t like certain things.  Try dusting your plants with talcum powder or sprinkle powdered red pepper around the garden or on targeted plants.  Another trick that has been used for them and deer (doesn’t work with my deer) is Irish Spring soap shavings in little bags around the garden.

One plus for the soap - it lasts longer than the talcum and red pepper as they have to be replaced every time it rains.

Your garden centre will have a deterrent you can spray on the plants but again, it has to be re-applied when it rains.

Have any ceramic owls, snakes or anything like that?  Stick them in the garden and move them around every day.  Those are rabbit predators and some people have had success with that.

Are you sorry you asked yet?  LOL.  A fence, netting, etc. Is the absolute best thing.  It’s why my backyard is fenced and the front is enclosed in the warm weather.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

please pray for my husband, Sam. He went by ambulance to the hospital with what I think is a stroke.

Carol

So sorry to hear this Carol.  Prayers headed Sam's way.

Roy

• Like 12

Carol

Carol

Praying that Sam makes a full and speedy recovery. Some of the most inspiring people at my gym are those who have fought back from the aftermath of strokes. Medical know how and that feisty spirit are an amazing combination. 

Be sure to take care of yourself!

• Like 15

Carol

I'm so sorry.   Of course, you have my prayers.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Back before the trees grew and I had sun for a garden, the rabbits would decimate it.  A friend told me to try sprinkling dried blood around my plants.  The added benefit is that it contains great nutrients for the plants.  My roses loved it.  Another idea he gave me was to go to a barber shop and get hair that had been cut.   He said a barber shop rather than a beauty salon because women's hair has too many products on it that mask it so it doesn't act like the deterrent you want.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, kazu said:

Rabbits are great sniffers and don’t like certain things.  Try dusting your plants with talcum powder or sprinkle powdered red pepper around the garden or on targeted plants.

Oh, good.  I am out of red pepper powder as for this Cajun woman that is a food group but I do have talcum.  As soon as it finishes raining I will try that.   Thank you

• Like 12

Carol

Oh Carol, how frightening for both of you!  Prayers coming your way for a positive outcome for your DH, and for added strength for you during all of this.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, dfish said:

sprinkling dried blood around my plants.  The added benefit is that it contains great nutrients for the plants.  My roses loved it.

I will try the dried blood.  I tried cat fur, from cat brushing, and it didn't work.  This is the first year they have gone after the Zinnias.  

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

A friend told me to try sprinkling dried blood around my plants.  The added benefit is that it contains great nutrients for the plants.  My roses loved it

Other than at a store frequented by vampires, where would you get dried blood ? ? ?

5 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

I am probably in the minority, but the only way I would want to observe them is with a firearm to thin the flock.

I'm with you - just the photos give me the willies!  I'm such a scaredy cat that I wouldn't even trust going to the other side of the island . . . those creatures could still find me.  If I was on the island and you saw me running, like I said the other day, try to catch up because whatever's coming, isn't good! 

I think I'd plan a relaxing time in the spa or even just hang out in one of the lounge areas with a good book and a tall drink of something laced firmly with alcohol.  

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 17
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Oh, good.  I am out of red pepper powder as for this Cajun woman that is a food group but I do have talcum.  As soon as it finishes raining I will try that.   Thank you

Mary, another thought crossed my mind as you have pretty warm weather all year round.

So far, having some “poisonous” or not edible plants for deer seem to be keeping them away from a few shrubs that they have nearly destroyed in the past.

If you have space, try planting some monkshood, datura or other such plants intermingled and outside of you flowers.  It might help if you have the space.

Deer don’t seem to like cannas.  They also might help.

• Like 13

Carol

Praying for your dh. I’m glad he went by ambulance. Most paramedics have drugs that CAN shorten the effects of the stroke on the body if given soon enough. 

• Like 13